Jed York on KNBR 09/15

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Originally posted by BasharCali49:
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Standard negotiating strategy.

The ultimate decision-makers (York and Crabtree) do not participate directly in negotiations, so that the "let me check with the boss/my client" can be used by the actual negotiators.

When there is an interminable impasse (like this negotiation), the party with the upper hand (the Niners) offers to bring in the actual decision-maker (York), when he senses that the other decision-maker (Crabtree) has painted himself into a corner, and is looking for a way to end the impasse, while still saving face. If Crabtree accepts York's invitation for a face-to-face, then Crabtree can have an "out" to sign a contract, by stating that misunderstandings had clouded the earlier hold-out, which were dismissed in actual face-to-face conversation.

The NFL negotiators did this same thing in the last CBA negotiation with Gene Upshaw. York is getting excellent and skilled negotiating advice (probably from the NFL office), which may be one reason that York has not formally filed a tampering complaint with the NFL office. The Niners (as directed by York) have taken the high road throughout, confident that time works in their favor.

Eddie D. was a tough negotiator, and I'm sure that young Jed is also using his uncle as a sounding board in this matter.

Conversely, if Crabtree declines this invitation to meet face-to-face, it will absolutely confirm Crabtree's undesrirability as a Ninere employee. Agent Parker is smart enough and expewrienced enough to know when an olive branch is being extended, which is exactly what York is offering.
I must say that is a picture perfect analysis of the situation. Did you major in business or do you work in sales? You are right though. This is basically make it or break it for Crabtree. If He declines it's obvious that he's a douchebag who doesn't want to be a Niner.

Good call. MBA and 20 years in sales. I really do think that it's now all about Crabtree's pride, being able to save face.

I would agree with this ^. After he missed the first regular game, and the inevitable ensuing of losing game money, it became very tough for him to get out of this mess without having to lose face. It only gets tougher for him to save face as each game passes.

You can liken the above "negotiaters" to having a "gatekeeper". Nothing reallly happens until you get past them and once you do, you better show up, cut the crap, and be reasonable about what each of your position is, which is pretty much decided by that time.
god, i hate ralph. VICK IS ON THE EAGLES. WHO CARES ABOUT HIM NOW!!!!!!! WHY DOES HE SPEND SO MUCH TIME ASKING ABOUT HIM!?! does anyone else feel me on this? come on.. man ralph is aweful. (im referring to the radio guy that sounds like theres a cat stuck in his throat. thats ralph right?)
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
god, i hate ralph. VICK IS ON THE EAGLES. WHO CARES ABOUT HIM NOW!!!!!!! WHY DOES HE SPEND SO MUCH TIME ASKING ABOUT HIM!?! does anyone else feel me on this? come on.. man ralph is aweful. (im referring to the radio guy that sounds like theres a cat stuck in his throat. thats ralph right?)

All he usually does is bad mouth the local teams and play his sound board
[ Edited by ads_2006 on Sep 16, 2009 at 12:39 PM ]

He is awful...I thought we had bad radio personalities in Memphis.

Yeah that was my first thought when he brought that up. No matter who he interviews about the niners, he always has to bring up Vick and Paraage. It gets old along with his kicked-in-the-nuts voice

Yea I can't stand Ralph, especially when talking about the Niners. He thinks he knows everything and acts like he knows what makes a good team. Even if we win, he complains about all the small s**t.

Who gives a jolly god dammn about Ralph's opinion anyway? Short fat dude who probably doesn't even know how to throw a football. His voice sounds like he has been kicked in his ball repeatedly once a day since the Regan administration. All he does is whine like a woman on rag. No matter what the local teams do, he is always contrarian. Its his schtick. Outside of Tolbert, no one there has an original thought on KNBR. They are all homers which is expected, but Fitzgerald is a bilch, Rod Brooks...come on he is a joke, Gary doesn't bother me because he gets that its just a bunch of folks talking so he doesn't take it too seriously. Murphy and Mac in the morning and Damon Bruce are cool too.
Thanks for posting the link. Jed seemed well in control of everything the 49ers do, just like a good Prez should be. I think he communicated his thoughts well, and looked like he knows what he's doing. I especially like the fact that he wants a face-to-face with Crabtree and so this freakin drama ends.
On a side note, enjoyed how he calmly shut up that loud mouth Ralph...he's an embarassment to KNBR.
  • DJD
  • Veteran

Here here, Ralph is simply horrible! He thinks it's still cute to tease the 49ers about parage and vick and all the rest of it. He hasn't taken notice that since parage was put into place that the niners are among the very best cap managers in all of football and since they put him in the booth they have been Johnny on the spot with their challenge flags. It's not cute or funny Ralph so quit giggling and wasting valuable interview time on this school yard crap. And this is but one of countless sports subjects that this dude is obnoxious about. His voice? That is beyond obnoxious, but he can't really help that so I won't harp on him about it.
Originally posted by DJD:

Here here, Ralph is simply horrible! He thinks it's still cute to tease the 49ers about parage and vick and all the rest of it. He hasn't taken notice that since parage was put into place that the niners are among the very best cap managers in all of football and since they put him in the booth they have been Johnny on the spot with their challenge flags. It's not cute or funny Ralph so quit giggling and wasting valuable interview time on this school yard crap. And this is but one of countless sports subjects that this dude is obnoxious about. His voice? That is beyond obnoxious, but he can't really help that so I won't harp on him about it.

Is it Ralph who continuelly, day after day, always somehow get's off the sport subject so he can talk about what happened at MTV music, or what Britney Spears does, or who he not throw out of his bed, if they knocked on his door?

Originally posted by 49ersking:
Thanks for posting the link. Jed seemed well in control of everything the 49ers do, just like a good Prez should be. I think he communicated his thoughts well, and looked like he knows what he's doing. I especially like the fact that he wants a face-to-face with Crabtree and so this freakin drama ends.
On a side note, enjoyed how he calmly shut up that loud mouth Ralph...he's an embarassment to KNBR.

I completely agree. Jed is going to be a great president for the 49ers. If he can get Crabtree to show up in a face-to-face meeting , he will sign before he leaves. Here's to hoping that Crabtree & Parker show up!
On the interview itself...I wish Tom Tolbert was doing them...the other guy is just awful. Whew.

Agree w/Jim, Jed's handling the Crabtree impasse the right way. If Parker doesn't accept the offer, he comes off as an idiot, not willing to sit down and try to reach an agreement. His client doesn't come off well, either...because that'll tell the Niners and their fans he doesn't really want to be on the team.

Jed talks to his Uncle all the time...so, if he can get Parker and Crabtree to the table, I think he may be able to close the deal. Even if he can't, (gotta remember, he's new at this), it definitely sends the right signals that the Niners aren't patsys any more...they won't be buffaloed into making a bad deal.

As for the Santa Clara stadium...it's the right thing to do. Candlestick has been a joke for years...and as the team progresses back to the playoffs, they'll need a first-class stadium to go along with it. SF had plenty of chances to get something done...and really didn't answer the bell.

Overall, I believe the franchise is in good hands...Jed will only get better and better as Team President. He's young, but still savvy...has a passion for getting our team back where they belong. And...his Uncle's always just a phone call away.
Share 49ersWebzone