LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Shaun Hill & Jimmy Raye

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 1stToFive
  • Info N/A
First of all, it feels great to get a road division win! Second the defense made plays absolutely everytime they needed to! Last, I know this isn't relevant but not once when our offense had the ball was I worried about careless turnovers, bonehead playcalling or brainless penalties. All I could think of was our offense finding a wrinkle in the card's defense. Shaun Hill is exactly what we need and Jimmy Raye's playcalling was excellent. It is very easy to stop running when it is not working or not being executed properly, but he stuck with it and it payed off in terms of keeping their defense honest. It was a foreign feeling when I think about some of our past lineups and coaching staffs. Guys and gals we should be very proud of the team we put on the field yesterday. We were far better prepared and disciplined than the defending division and conference champs. Next the banged up Seahawks. NFC West Champions anyone!!??
  • wickedsvt
  • Info N/A
I agree - I will take a game manager over a eratic QB ANY day !!
umm not real proud of the offensive product we put out on the field. raye was way to obvious with his run plays, that's why arizona blitzed on every run play. they could see it coming. plus hill was pressured all over the place because of horrible o-line play. synder & baas where pushed around all the time. chilo has ways to go. hill looked flustered at times to. major work to be done. raye needs to get more creative.
  • rum53
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wailers15:
umm not real proud of the offensive product we put out on the field. raye was way to obvious with his run plays, that's why arizona blitzed on every run play. they could see it coming. plus hill was pressured all over the place because of horrible o-line play. synder & baas where pushed around all the time. chilo has ways to go. hill looked flustered at times to. major work to be done. raye needs to get more creative.

Great teams make adjustments from game to game. We have to believe that Raye will make the necessary adjustments going into week two.

I glad someone else besides me see Bass get pushed to the side like nothing. I saw Baas give up i think 1 sack n another pressure. We def need better LG n RT. Chilo is OK and still needs some work. But not bad like Baas.
Originally posted by Dem9erboyz:

I glad someone else besides me see Bass get pushed to the side like nothing. I saw Baas give up i think 1 sack n another pressure. We def need better LG n RT. Chilo is OK and still needs some work. But not bad like Baas.

From what I saw, both Rachal and Baas got man handled by Dockett all day. I might have to rewatch the game but I really don't think that Rachal did much better than Baas did. It just wasn't a very good game for the O-line in general.
Originally posted by chimp914:
Originally posted by Dem9erboyz:

From what I saw, both Rachal and Baas got man handled by Dockett all day. I might have to rewatch the game but I really don't think that Rachal did much better than Baas did. It just wasn't a very good game for the O-line in general.

Arizona has some very, very good defensive linemen. Their D-Line and pressure on the QB was what got them into the Superbowl and it was why they didn't stink it up in the Superbowl. They killed the Steeler run game then also.
NFL team learn fast. It will be really rough for next games to come if we don't get the running game going. I don't know if the WR corps has the consistency to carry the game if we can't untrack Gore and the running crew.
The Cardinals defensive game plan was to stuff our run which they did. However, I am glad that Raye stuck to the run it does send a signal that we are not going to give up on the run. More importantly when we needed to pass (80 yard 4th qtr drive as an example) Raye was willing to do that. If (big if) Hill continues to pass effectively like he did yesterday opposing defensive game plans will have to begin planning accordingly and not play 8 even 9 in the box like AZ did. This should make our run game more effective.

Couple of other thoughts certain plays definitely signaled run to the Cardinals and just go stuffed. As the coaches watch film there must have been an individual(s) that the Cardinals were keying on and that was giving away a run play. To many times a Cardinal was in the back field at the snap count.
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
The Cardinals defensive game plan was to stuff our run which they did. However, I am glad that Raye stuck to the run it does send a signal that we are not going to give up on the run. More importantly when we needed to pass (80 yard 4th qtr drive as an example) Raye was willing to do that. If (big if) Hill continues to pass effectively like he did yesterday opposing defensive game plans will have to begin planning accordingly and not play 8 even 9 in the box like AZ did. This should make our run game more effective.

Couple of other thoughts certain plays definitely signaled run to the Cardinals and just go stuffed. As the coaches watch film there must have been an individual(s) that the Cardinals were keying on and that was giving away a run play. To many times a Cardinal was in the back field at the snap count.

I noticed that also. Dockett was on top of it all day along with a few others here and there. One of the players is giving away a tell.

Gotta love the never quit attitude these guys showed us on Sunday...

Hopefully they can fix the line blocking issues and get our run game going against the Chickens...
I think raye actually made a good adjustment in the second half with all the quick passes they did. I think raye is the perfect oc for us.
I liked the game plan and I thought the players were prepared to execute. However I was not a fan of most of the play calling. The cardinals were blitzing the run up the gut every play and we made very few attempts to get plays outside. Calls like the reverse and the draws were terrible because the Cards were not keying for passes on those plays.

The real problem seemed to be a lack of imagination and adjustment in the run game. or maybe it was too much imagination and no adjustment. Regardless I'm more concerned about game time adjustment not in between games. Obviously we'll have a different game plan next week.

That being said. We did exactly what we said we would do. We held on to the ball. We took the opportunities that we got (with the exception of the interception at the end of the first half) and we converted 20 points.

The D looks great. Shaun Hill looks great.

I have to imagine that we will be better running the football so I'm not overly concerned about the offense.
I'm not sure how good of a "game manager" Hill is, seeing how he kept throwing into triple coverage with other WR's open. He is lucky there weren't more turnovers.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:

I noticed that also. Dockett was on top of it all day along with a few others here and there. One of the players is giving away a tell.

I disagree with the comment about the "tell". I think the "tell" was Singletary. Docket just kept picking gaps and blitzing the run and we kept running right at him. It was sad. We needed to try and get some run plays to the edge. It seemed like if we tried to go outside the tackles we did it with draws or delayed handoffs. Which fell victim to Dockett just shooting the gap. I would have liked to have seen just ONE fake up the middle to norris who's real job was to take on dockett with a pitch out to Gore in space. But that's just me.
Share 49ersWebzone