There are 156 users in the forums

Jason Hill

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by B650:
OK, I know everyone is going to hate on me for this, but why the hell do we still have Battle? Bruce and Jones are veterans (good for 3rd down receptions). Morgan and Hill have some speed and could be our deep threats. Spurlock also has some speed. Now, what exactly does Battle do? He's part of the reason why Hill isn't getting any playing time, and I think that's ridiculous. Hill is younger, faster, and has much more upside. He should be out there playing. He had some nice catches for us in the final game last year against Washington, and why's that? He got the opportunity to play, and he should be playing this year too. He DEFINITELY should be playing over Spurlock at least.

Battle vs. Hill (winner = Battle)
J. Hill = Unrealized potential.
Battle = Proven performer.

Hill vs. Spurlock (winner = Spurlock)
Spurlock = Backup PR and KR, Taser O QB, and #6 WR.
J. Hill = #5 WR. That's all....

Hill is a 1 trick pony and his trick isn't all that good. If he was a better WR or did more than just play WR then ok; but, he doesn't...

What the hell has Battle proven? That he has banged up knees, is slow and is an under performer. I'd much rather start Jason Hill over him. Battle is the most overrated guy on the 49ersWebzone. A #5 WR at best on most teams. He just played here for a number of years because we had garbage. Josh Morgan and Jason Hill are both better than him.

Lets see, he led our WRs in receptions in 06 and 07 (this is when the QB had options like Darrel Jackson and Antonio Bryant btw). He led the team in receiving yards in 07. In 06 he led the league in catch to drop %. Has proven a reliable receiving threat on 3rd downs. This is just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.

Your turn. What the hell has Hill proven? That he lost out to Battle when competing for a WR slot this past year.

Or WR's sucked a** in 06 and 07. Comparing some guy to 06 and 07 is like comparing it to a pile of trash.

Jason Hill is faster with better hands than Battle and he has less injuries. His routes are just as good. Battle is the most overrarted crap WR on this entire WZ. Obviously the coaching staff doesn't like Jason Hill for some reason. But whenever he is in all he does is make plays an catch the ball and catch touchdowns. He will probably go to another team and tear it up there. The 49ers loss is somebody elses gain. This staff and GM don't know what they are doing personnel wise. It doesn't surprise me that their depth chart is all screwed up.

Look, I don't think Battle is all that great either. He is clearly better than Hill though.

Hill is supposed to be this fast deep threat; but, he only has a long of 33 yards (2nd worst from last years WR group). To back up that Battle is better, he had a long of 36 yards last season with 75% of his receptions going for first downs. Only 66.7% of Jason's receptions were for 1st downs. Battle played in one less game than Jason; but, he had more receiving yards on the season.

Jason gives us a #4 or 5 WR.
Battle gives us a #3 or 4 WR, backup PR, and backup Taser QB.

I stick by what I said, Jason is a 1 trick pony and his trick isn't all that great (compared to his competition).

A player has to make the most out of the opportunities they get. Shaun Hill did, Brandon Jones did; but, did Jason?

In 08 on 66.7% of Jason's catches were for first downs. By way of comparison, 75% of Battle's catches went for first downs. Also, Jason was suppose to be our deep threat because of his speed, right? His long last season was only 33 yards. This is the second lowest of all of our WRs... (Battle 36, Bruce 63, Johnson 42, Morgan 48, and Zeigler 31)

So, did Jason out perform some of the receivers on our team last year. Yes, with out a doubt. Did he show he should be a #1, 2, or 3 WR. No. Did he make the most of his opportunities, I don't think so.

Battle is just the veteran. It's always tough to unseat the veteran. Coaching staffs will go with the known quantity over the unknown quantity 95% of the time unless there is an absolute failure at the position like Alex Smith. If they get any production at all out of the veteran player they will stick with him because it's assumed that player will be more savy and experienced. But IMO this team would be better off with Jason Hill now. Battle's best days are behind him and his knees are ailing.

Bruce
Morgan
Hill
VD

Those would be my top receiving targets.

Especially when the vetran out performs the rookie...

Jason needs to earn his play time. If he can't do it in the game then he needs to do it on the practice field.
I suspect this has more to do with blocking in the running game. In this way perhaps some of the 49ers WR's are bigger or stronger than Hill and run block better. But it can't be based on receiving skills. Because on that there is no way to justify Jason Hill being so far down the depth chart.
I suspect this has more to do with blocking in the running game. In this way perhaps some of the 49ers WR's are bigger or stronger than Hill and run block better. But it can't be based on receiving skills. Because on that there is no way to justify Jason Hill being so far down the depth chart.

That's another good theory. I've never paid much attention to Jason's blocking so I don't know if he sucks or what...

That's another good theory. I've never paid much attention to Jason's blocking so I don't know if he sucks or what...

It absolutely can't be based on receiving skills, good hands, good routes or speed IMO. Jason Hill is good at those. Singletary says he wants to run when you absolutely have to in the NFL. And it's no surprise his whole strategy is smash mouth football with Frank Gore and good defense. It's really how our personnel lines up and it gives this still under talented team the best chance it has to win.

IMO Jason Hill would be playing more on a more pass friendly team with a better QB situation. He's in a smash mouth situation and I'm not sure he lines up with that exactly. He is more finesse and speed.

It absolutely can't be based on receiving skills, good hands, good routes or speed IMO. Jason Hill is good at those. Singletary says he wants to run when you absolutely have to in the NFL. And it's no surprise his whole strategy is smash mouth football with Frank Gore and good defense. It's really how our personnel lines up and it gives this still under talented team the best chance it has to win.

IMO Jason Hill would be playing more on a more pass friendly team with a better QB situation. He's in a smash mouth situation and I'm not sure he lines up with that exactly. He is more finesse and speed.

Very true. His make up is a lot smaller than the other WRs.

think youre on to something
  • B650
  • Veteran
Leading a team in receiving for a couple years is noteworthy if you're on a good team with good WRs, not if your team hasn't made the playoffs for almost an entire decade, the offense has been nowhere near the top 10, and no WR has had 1,000 yards in a season in that span. He led the team simply because the team had no talent at the position. It's like saying saying Alex Smith led the team in passing in 2006. Does anyone really care? He's probably never going back to that form.

Battle is older now and isn't going to get any better, so we can continue with the same results or try something different. If they want to keep Battle around, fine, but at least find a way to get Hill on the field as the 4th WR to see what he has. I think he earned that much by his play last season because he showed flashes of being a good WR. Even if Battle is a little better than Hill, Hill is younger and has more upside so it wouldn't be a bad idea to get him some playing time.

Who would you rather start: Jeff Garcia or Shaun Hill? I think most people would tell you that Garcia is a better QB at this point, but most people would also want Hill as the starter. Why? Because he's younger and we have more of a future with Hill than with Garcia. This is a team that traded Jerry Rice so that young WRs could play, yet somehow we can't let go of Arnaz Battle. Maybe it's his name and his blocking ability, but it can't be due to his receiving ability.
Leading a team in receiving for a couple years is noteworthy if you're on a good team with good WRs, not if your team hasn't made the playoffs for almost an entire decade, the offense has been nowhere near the top 10, and no WR has had 1,000 yards in a season in that span. He led the team simply because the team had no talent at the position. It's like saying saying Alex Smith led the team in passing in 2006. Does anyone really care? He's probably never going back to that form.

Battle is older now and isn't going to get any better, so we can continue with the same results or try something different. If they want to keep Battle around, fine, but at least find a way to get Hill on the field as the 4th WR to see what he has. I think he earned that much by his play last season because he showed flashes of being a good WR. Even if Battle is a little better than Hill, Hill is younger and has more upside so it wouldn't be a bad idea to get him some playing time.

Who would you rather start: Jeff Garcia or Shaun Hill? I think most people would tell you that Garcia is a better QB at this point, but most people would also want Hill as the starter. Why? Because he's younger and we have more of a future with Hill than with Garcia. This is a team that traded Jerry Rice so that young WRs could play, yet somehow we can't let go of Arnaz Battle. Maybe it's his name and his blocking ability, but it can't be due to his receiving ability.

This.

Please read the post. It is an excellent one.
Jason Hill will be activated for the rams game and shaun hill will be allowed to throw more, i look for J Hill to prove he belongs on the active roster against the rams. He is a very good reciever and he was our best when he played last year, i dont understand why they had the guy on the bench for two games and opted to throw fade routes to Isaak Bruce, probably our slowest reciever and his hands havent been all that good this year. Jason Hill will show up if they pass to him, he did it last year under the same circumstances so i dont see why he wouldnt do it this year

This.

Please read the post. It is an excellent one.

Too bad our coaches won't.

Personally, I don't hate Battle, but he is 29 and hardly gets any balls thrown his way as it is.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Jason Hill will be activated for the rams game and shaun hill will be allowed to throw more, i look for J Hill to prove he belongs on the active roster against the rams. He is a very good reciever and he was our best when he played last year, i dont understand why they had the guy on the bench for two games and opted to throw fade routes to Isaak Bruce, probably our slowest reciever and his hands havent been all that good this year. Jason Hill will show up if they pass to him, he did it last year under the same circumstances so i dont see why he wouldnt do it this year

I don't disagree necessarily, but I think we may have to go 4 wide for Hill to even be on the field. Given Raye's playcalling and the fact we're playing the Rams, I can't see us going 4 wide much this Sunday.
Originally posted by Overkill:

I don't disagree necessarily, but I think we may have to go 4 wide for Hill to even be on the field. Given Raye's playcalling and the fact we're playing the Rams, I can't see us going 4 wide much this Sunday.

personally i think them making the move to activate Hill means theyre not happy with bruce and/or morgan and their looking to find a starting WR. Bruce let us down a few weeks in a row with some huge drops. Morgan is starting to be used more so its anyones guess what this move means but if Hill gets involved and has a good game i look for bruce to become the 3rd WR or maybe 4th behind battle. they need to make changes at the position, i think theyre trying to shake it up with this move
  • B650
  • Veteran

personally i think them making the move to activate Hill means theyre not happy with bruce and/or morgan and their looking to find a starting WR. Bruce let us down a few weeks in a row with some huge drops. Morgan is starting to be used more so its anyones guess what this move means but if Hill gets involved and has a good game i look for bruce to become the 3rd WR or maybe 4th behind battle. they need to make changes at the position, i think theyre trying to shake it up with this move

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/09/the-one-label-singletary-wants-to-avoid.html.

Looks like we could have both Hill and Jones play this Sunday.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/09/the-one-label-singletary-wants-to-avoid.html.

Looks like we could have both Hill and Jones play this Sunday.

If that's true than Spurlock has to be out.

And I hope both get their chances, but I don't think either will start ahead of Bruce or Morgan this Sunday. I would be shocked if that happened, frankly.
Share 49ersWebzone