There are 191 users in the forums

There is the least trust in........ by the coaching staff

Shop Find 49ers gear online

There is the least trust in........ by the coaching staff

Run, run, run, punt.

Instead of putting all the blame on the play calling I want to look at why the play calling was what it was.

The offensive line was being dominated by run blitzs and pass blitzs. But Hill did have one turnover (he's 8-3 as a starter btw). Why were the calls run run run punt. Because the coaches didn't like what they saw from the oline, they didn't trust the QB, or both?
You attempt to find logic and reason behind the actions of the coaching staff? That's a bannable offense here at the WZ.

mods?

But seriously, Even at it's worst, which it was tonight, we can't afford to completely abandon the run game. You can't allow a defense to completely sell out one way or the other, so even if you are going to get stuffed for 1 yard, that's better than a defense knowing that you ARE for a fact going to pass.

Just my opinion.
Originally posted by norcal49er864:
You attempt to find logic and reason behind the actions of the coaching staff? That's a bannable offense here at the WZ.

mods?

But seriously, Even at it's worst, which it was tonight, we can't afford to completely abandon the run game. You can't allow a defense to completely sell out one way or the other, so even if you are going to get stuffed for 1 yard, that's better than a defense knowing that you ARE for a fact going to pass.

Just my opinion.

I'm not saying abandon the running game. I'm saying when its 3rd and 7 at the 4 or 5 yard line why run? when its 3rd and 4 and a first down wins the game, why not put the ball in the hands of the guy who lead your team to the game winning TD (Hill). Why not allow your offense to win the game instead of asking your defense to???
Rayes hands were tied with the terrible Oline play the first 3 quarters. He adjusted well and got us what we need. The touchdown drive was almost all passes. He will be fine we just need to shore up our Oline. The need to start games how they finished todays.
Also remember that the O-line should get better as the season goes on. We played without Baas for pretty much the whole pre-season. This was their first game together as a starting unit in a while
Who the hell cares how we won. As long as we won. And last I checked, we did.
If the run is not working, which it clearly wasn't today, Raye needs to be more prepared on having the passing game lead the way. i understand that we want to run which I agree with, but its not gonna be effective all 16 games. We don't have the o-line to pull that off.
Our offensive line looked surprisingly bad today, I was very disappointed we weren't able to run the ball. Our defense bailed us out.

I really don't think the play-calling showed a lack of trust in either Hill or the o-line. I think a couple of the runs in passing situations were more to try to throw the defense off. Hill played okay, pretty much what we know he can do and didn't give the ball away which was huge. Our o-line really needs to step it up next week.
  • Ang
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BigDaddy:

Sure, that makes us feel better and it's fine to enjoy the win, but what about next week...and the week after that?
  • burnblunts
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by norcal49er864:

mods?

Just my opinion.

I'm not saying abandon the running game. I'm saying when its 3rd and 7 at the 4 or 5 yard line why run? when its 3rd and 4 and a first down wins the game, why not put the ball in the hands of the guy who lead your team to the game winning TD (Hill). Why not allow your offense to win the game instead of asking your defense to???

Throwing the ball in that 3rd down situation would have been a very risky call, something that Singletary tends to avoid. Anyone who understands and respects ALL aspects of the game knows why you run it there. Yes, throwing it may have given us a better chance of getting a first down, but there are other aspects to consider. If you run the ball you still have a chance at a first down, but more importantly cut the time on the clock in half and significantly decrease the chance of a turnover.

If we would have thrown an incomplete pass and given them almost two minutes, I honestly think we would have lost the game.

• Veteran
Originally posted by global_nomad:

Because if its a incomplete pass stops the clock and we have had to punt with 1:40 left in the game. Run the ball and they have less than a mintue with no timeouts and we knew they wouldn't start with great field position. It was the right call.

[ Edited by 4949 on Sep 13, 2009 at 17:37:41 ]
learn to f**king audible, when you are in a obvious running formation, and they are sending they're LB's, a audible needs to be called and quick pass needs to be thrown.
Originally posted by Ang:
Originally posted by BigDaddy:

Sure, that makes us feel better and it's fine to enjoy the win, but what about next week...and the week after that?

One game at a time my friend. It was an ugly win, but I'll take those as long as we can get them.
most questionable call of the day for Raye = draw on third and seven
This is a running team, I like the commitment if not the play selection... I would have like to have seen us try more runs off tackle, as opposed to going into the blitzing inside backers all day.

It was nice to that Raye made the adjustments when he needed to.

The O Line had a tough day, no doubt about it. That makes it tough for everyone else to do their job.

I don't expect the offense is going to be very explosive this year. So I wasn't overly surprised. If the coaching staff can continue to make adjustments and the Oline comes together better than they did today, there may be just enough offense to get the job done most weeks.
Share 49ersWebzone