LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

Defensive post-game analysis (Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Sounds like Lawson got some consistent pressure, and Haralson and Smith played well. How did Franklin and Sopoaga play? How did Spencer, Clements and Brown/Bly play? Any sightings from Goldson and R. Smith in the backfield?

We played the NFL's top offense from last year.

The ENTIRE defense played well and looked good.

Some will complain about Clements, but he played well too.

When our defense is rested, we look like a top 5 defense.

We got GREAT pressure from Haralson, especially in the first half. Levi Brown could not block him.

Smith got great pressure in the second half.

Lawson got steady pressure all day too, which is HUGE for us. He wasn't as good as the other two, but he is certainly an asset, and has a chance to find a groove.

Goldson must have played well, because his name was not called down the field very often. He made some tackles at the line of scrimmage too. He will be good.

Oh ya, Spencer lined up against Fitz most of the day, and was PHENOMENAL.

Spencer and Haralson deserve the game balls for the defense today.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I have to apologize..... Nate Clements played his @ss off today....

Yeah, Nate was fantastic today, as was Spencer and Bly. The whole secondary, really.

Find an offensive balance to keep this D fresh throughout the game, and we have an elite unit.
I wanna see a highlight reel of all those QB hurries.
WAIT WAIT WAIT.

i knew roman was in the game, so i assumed lewis was not? but i see they were both in, as was goldosn, so who was in when?

did lewis play LBer in nickel situations? or something else, leave with an injury what?
The pass rush exists!! Haralson looks primed for a big year, Smith gave 110% as always, and even Manny forced some bad throws. Willis is unbelievable--I mean, if the play isn't a 15 yard-plus pass, odds are he'll be in on the tackle. DBs held their own, too. Spencer played well, Bly had two good PDFs at least, and Clements was on his game (beat deep once but oh well). This D looks solid, and really harassed the Warner in the 1st half and 4th quarters. If the Cards can't throw all over us, that bodes well for the season. Now if the O could just score some points...
If not for that unsportsmanlike penalty just before the half we would have held the cards to 13 points.
Originally posted by merm49:
The pass rush exists!! Haralson looks primed for a big year, Smith gave 110% as always, and even Manny forced some bad throws. Willis is unbelievable--I mean, if the play isn't a 15 yard-plus pass, odds are he'll be in on the tackle. DBs held their own, too. Spencer played well, Bly had two good PDFs at least, and Clements was on his game (beat deep once but oh well). This D looks solid, and really harassed the Warner in the 1st half and 4th quarters. If the Cards can't throw all over us, that bodes well for the season. Now if the O could just score some points...

fitz got 71 yards but we shut him out for a large portion of the game

defense showed up today

hightower got a lot of receptions because we shut out their other receivers
Originally posted by teeohh:

defense showed up today

and didn't he get 40 yds on that last meaningless catch? and the TD does not bother me. giving up a short TD to him is justifiable, he just impossible to cover on a jump ball.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by teeohh:

defense showed up today

and didn't he get 40 yds on that last meaningless catch? and the TD does not bother me. giving up a short TD to him is justifiable, he just impossible to cover on a jump ball.

yup and held boldin to 19 yards

man our defense saved the offense. thats it in a nutshell. they played stout d. good job guys! THE OFFENSE NEEDS MAJOR WORK
Defense held it down all around. Manny was the only name I didn't hear called. Secondary held it down. Pass rush and blitz packages still need a lot of work. You gotta love Smith's motor on defense. Ray made a few plays the run defense was stout. I seen good plays out of every single member of the secondary. Brown and Bly did great jobs on whoever the slot WR was. Last year the slot WR for Arizona killed Strickland.
Originally posted by 49Fever:
it's quite clear to me after this game that our strength resides in our defense
nicely surprised by our coverage our and pressure on Warner (who is a quick releaser don't forget)
but don't put haralson on pass coverage : the guy has not enough speed !

He doesn't have speed, but I think you are referring to one specific play when the defense was defending after the offense's 3rd 3n'out.

They were really tired by that time.

Haralson looked gassed on that play, and the RB was able to get around the corner on him.

But when the defense was rested, Haralson was just fine in coverage.
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
Willis was a beast as usual with 11 tackles 2 assist and an int the, DL had 3 sacks and did a great job stopping the run and Clements stepped it up with his 4 tackles and int.
Great day for the defense

Niners win and Carolina loses gotta love it

Heres to a great 1st pick spot thanks to the Panthers.
Our defense was awesome today! '
Our offense was terrible today!
special teams was good.

Sign Crabtree Already!
Share 49ersWebzone