There are 279 users in the forums

Singletary falling out ou favor with the local media?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Well, since he was named the team HC, Singletary has always enjoyed the support of the press. Hell, he was applauded (!) the first time he walked to the podium as the HC. But apparently, limiting the access of the media to assistan coaches and now to practices is changing that picture FAST:

From Kevin Lynch:

-The 49ers are shutting down practice to the media on Wednesdays for the first time ever. That comes after the 49ers limited access to assistant coaches this year. For the 49ers it might just be procedure, for those who cover the team it's an insult. I don't remember an instance when an assistant coach leaking crucial information or that a reporter ever divulged a play in practice that hurt the team. The limited availability also hurts our ability to cover the team and provide information to a wider audience.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=47210#ixzz0QeqybLPx

From Maiocco via Twitter:

Since Mike Singletary took over as 49ers coach, the club has limited access to assistant coaches and Wednesday practices are now closed. It's shocking that Walsh and Seifert won all those titles while allowing media to watch practice AND talk with 49ers assistant coaches.

Looks like Singletary better start winning. Fast.

[ Edited by Brazilian49er on Sep 9, 2009 at 17:18:26 ]
  • ddc58
  • Info N/A
I like MM, but Lynch? How often does he ever inform us breaking news? They need to deal with it. Alot of teams are doing it.
not really surprised knowing all the the things that happened in the locker room last yr spill out to the media

[ Edited by FredFlintstone on Sep 9, 2009 at 17:18:40 ]
Originally posted by ddc58:
I like MM, but Lynch? How often does he ever inform us breaking news? They need to deal with it. Alot of teams are doing it.

which is why he reports this crap. He has nothing better to report. Pathetic.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
They will turn on him very quickly if doesn't win.
Well, Q.B. Hill is a terrible practice player, maybe Singletary don't want to alarm the press?
Originally posted by susweel:
They will turn on him very quickly if doesn't win.

Agreed. Then it'll be our jobs to stay objective and wade through their caustic rants (if unfounded).
It's all about winning. If the 9ers win with Sing, then he stays and the hacks will just have to deal with it. If the 9ers don't win with Sing, then he'll be gone and the media won't have much to do with it.
Yes this is getting pretty lame and I not just talking about the niners. First you had clubs trying to prevent reporters from twittering from trainning camp. Then the browns trying to keep anyone from knowing who there starter was going to be. Now the unability to cover a teams practice and limited access to assistants.
boo hoo for the press

I'm not sure why the media always thinks they are entitled to full access to everything. Practice? Practice? You're talking about practice? Please child. The only day I care about is game day.

[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Sep 9, 2009 at 17:27:46 ]
I fully expect this reaction from the media....they're the media for crying out loud, why wouldn't they be even slightly butt hurt...

Good coaches are never concerned about the local media.
He's the head coach, he can do what ever the hell he wants, the only thing I care about is this team winning, not how much the reporters are allowed to talk to coach's.

I only need to tune in on Sundays to see how well the 49ers are doing.
Walsh and Seifert didn't have reporters posting every practice incompletion on twitter and then going on 24 hour sports news tv stations to talk about what they saw.

Media has changed, and so has the amount of fan attention.

I agree that Sing's approach is a little dramatic, but it's a very different media world that he has to deal with than the one Walsh dealt with.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Walsh and Seifert didn't have reporters posting every practice incompletion on twitter and then going on 24 hour sports news tv stations to talk about what they saw.

Media has changed, and so has the amount of fan attention.

I agree that Sing's approach is a little dramatic, but it's a very different media world that he has to deal with than the one Walsh dealt with.

Here's MM's take on that (again, via Twitter):

RNeilan: you can't pretend media was the same for walsh/seifert.

MattMaiocco: True there were 15 reporters who covered team then. Now, there's five.

[ Edited by Brazilian49er on Sep 9, 2009 at 17:32:11 ]
Share 49ersWebzone