LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 212 users in the forums

How do you feel going into week 1 after preseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giant9er:
Originally posted by teeohh:
I'm more excited about Cal football than the niners

Got to see pass rush yesterday and big passing plays
Originally posted by prometheus:
If Manny Lawson is proven not to be able to pass rush, I hope the niners braintrust uses their feeble minds to consider using Manny as a strong safety. His height, speed and coverage as well as strong tackling would be awesome and I think he could do well occasionally pass rushing thru gap holes. I think he would be great as a rover type of safety and his size and strength over the middle should shut down a lot of runs and passes.
In a way, I think Manny is just misplayed. He just is not built for enough power in the lower body and his weight is mainly upper body and leverage is not in his favor. I have strong doubts about McCloughan's abilities overall. He does find some good players but in other areas, he is as weak as grannies knees. I doubt if he could find a pass rusher without a ring thru his nose and being poked by Singletary with a cattle prod. All that Lewis and Roman do I think Manny could do better and I would cut both those guys and go with Manny and the young guys. It might take another year of OTAS and preseason but I certainly would try it.

After watching the preseason and Manny trying to passrush I am convinced his issue isn't physical, its mental. He has no problem pushing guys back, but once he's back there it's like he doesn't know what to do. I think good/great passrushers need a certain mind set or mentality. It's kind of like a champion boxer, when your opponent is hurt they have that killer instict. Manny doesn't have that and I dont know that he ever will. He can be a great player in a 4-3, but less than average passrusher in a 3-4. Thats my take anyway.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Let's start the season already and see what we got.
Originally posted by B650:
Let's start the season already and see what we got.

this already!
Share 49ersWebzone