LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 206 users in the forums

How do you feel going into week 1 after preseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • bsevenseven
  • Info N/A
Gosh, before watching the preseason, I'd have told you 8-8. The lack of a pass rush as you say, makes me worry - not so sure we can make it up with scheme.

Manny Lawson is officially too freakin small (thin) to play OLB in this scheme. 240 lbs will not cut it...

QB play? Wow... bad. I don't think the deep ball will scare anybody, and we'll be crowded at the line of scrimmage constantly, keeping Hills only real pass threat (short, slants, and play action) nullified.

I do like Coffee, and excited to see how Gore pounds the rock... but 8 in the box is going to be a theme against us this year.

I'm sayin 6-10. Crabtree doesn't sign. He's got Deion Sanders in his ear, talking 40 million. Seriously Deion? We'll trade him to someone, hopefully for a first round pick in March. Remember '10 is an uncapped year. I think the Cowboys will want him.

Good news is that gives us 3 first round picks in 2010... the flexibility to get a pass rusher, QB, and OL.

Overall, not hopeful.
As of right now i'm hopeful things will come together and the team will be better than last year. doesn't change all the glaring holes that this team has. what just kills me is that this team didn't attempt to fix one of the glaring problems at all. No qb solution. No pass rush solution, and no pass protection solution. It's going on 3/4 years of the exact same problems that aren't even attempting to be fixed.
Originally posted by lamontb:
As of right now i'm hopeful things will come together and the team will be better than last year. doesn't change all the glaring holes that this team has. what just kills me is that this team didn't attempt to fix one of the glaring problems at all. No qb solution. No pass rush solution, and no pass protection solution. It's going on 3/4 years of the exact same problems that aren't even attempting to be fixed.

I know, it's a damn shame. It is the same team plus a real back-up for Gore. Scotty McGM is clueless. I know Sing can motivate but he can't work magic
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by lamontb:

I know, it's a damn shame. It is the same team plus a real back-up for Gore. Scotty McGM is clueless. I know Sing can motivate but he can't work magic

One definition of insanity is the do things the exact same way and expect a different result.
Same old, same old. We had a chance to actually make some positive changes with the removal of Nolan but we somehow colossally screwed it up.
Originally posted by DANADA:
I don't think we have shown what our offense will really look like

we say that every year, ohhh its just pre season our offense is vanilla..its just a cover up dude, its denial. We have no quarterback. Our starter is worse than our third string, and everyone is in denial over it. Thats why our offense looks vanilla, its because theres no one throwing the ball. sad, we would have a good squad if we could fix it.
I think we will be competitive. Every game we play, we will a fighters chance of winning. Whether or not we actually win, I am not sure. To be completely honest, I see the 49ers as a 8-8 team, with the possibility of easily going 9-7 or 7-9/6-10. It is all about the division games. If we can go, at the worst 4-2 in the division, then I think we only have to go at the worst 5-5 in the rest of our games to with the division.
-
In a phrase: cautiously optimistic.
I am trying to stay optimistic, but after this preseason, I am a little nervous. We just did not look sharp at all in any of our preseason games on either side of the ball. IMO, Nate Davis and Glen Coffee have been the only highlights heading into week one. The thing we have going for us is the mediocre division we play in. Here's to hoping for the best.
We all have similiar thoughts. Before the preseason, I felt like we could take the division. But after seeing how poorly our pass rush, quarterback play and receievers have performed, I dont have a good feeling about the season. I hope I am wrong!
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
I feel like we are screwed. With that said, the last few years I felt optimistic. I was clearly wrong. Hopefully I am wrong this time.

• nj49erfan
  • Info N/A
Well for this year I don't feel well but overall outlook is not so bad. I think 6-10 or 7-9 is the best we do this year (7-9 if we get lucky in a few games). Tough schedule and not a great offense or defense will make it nearly impossible to go .500.

With that said though I don't think the outlook is all bad. Keep a few of these things in mind when we are losing a lot, because we are going to be losing a lot:

1. We have an offensive coordinator who should be in place for a few years finally
2. Our running game should be awesome this year and for years to come
3. Vernon Davis will get his chance to prove he is an offensive threat and worth locking up long term to a very large deal.
4. We will find out if Baas & Synder are starters and should be locked up long term
5. We have 2 first round picks next year
6. Shaun Hill gets his shot and if not Alex Smith gets his last shot
7. Nate Davis has the possibility to be a solid QB in this league in about two years (learning curve skewed because of his learning disorder)
8. Defensive line should come of age with Balmer, RFJ, and McDonalad hoefully proving we have depth and young talent up there to go along with Smith.

So yes its going to be a long year but I think the foundation is being put in place for us to get better every year. I know I am being optomistic but things look better in the future. Not so much this year.
Originally posted by bsevenseven:
Gosh, before watching the preseason, I'd have told you 8-8. The lack of a pass rush as you say, makes me worry - not so sure we can make it up with scheme.

Manny Lawson is officially too freakin small (thin) to play OLB in this scheme. 240 lbs will not cut it...

QB play? Wow... bad. I don't think the deep ball will scare anybody, and we'll be crowded at the line of scrimmage constantly, keeping Hills only real pass threat (short, slants, and play action) nullified.

I do like Coffee, and excited to see how Gore pounds the rock... but 8 in the box is going to be a theme against us this year.

I'm sayin 6-10. Crabtree doesn't sign. He's got Deion Sanders in his ear, talking 40 million. Seriously Deion? We'll trade him to someone, hopefully for a first round pick in March. Remember '10 is an uncapped year. I think the Cowboys will want him.

Good news is that gives us 3 first round picks in 2010... the flexibility to get a pass rusher, QB, and OL.

Overall, not hopeful.

Screw the lack of a pass rush, what I'm worried about is that our offense suddenly looks just like Jim Hostler has returned. We are hearing the dreaded V word again to dismiss the poor pre-season play. If our offense keeps going 3 and out, our defense will be forced to play 3/4 of the game, and it doesn't matter how good or tough they are, they will give up plays eventually.

The year that Hostler was OC, they couldn't sustain any drives because everyone knew that they were going to run Frank Gore. So they would stack the box with an extra DB, and predictably, we would not be able to get very many rushing yards. Passing was a really big issue, and the amount of screen passes and lack of the passes to the outside is really disturbing. I was excited during training camp, but seeing Jimmy Raye's playcalling, I'm terrified at how things are going to turn out. We went from being a 9-7 or 10-6 team to a 7-9 team again.

Our savior that has to step up is Vernon Davis. Raye relied a lot on tight ends to bail him out of 3rd down situations. Hopefully, Vernon can have a monster receiving season. Just get him the freakin ball 5 times a game and I'm sure he'll break one.
I felt better last season going into week one then this season
At least we haven't fired our OC.

It's going to be a long season. Our biggest 'additions' this season are absolute flops, sans maybe Brandon Jones.
To be honest I don't think we have seen this team play it's actual game of football yet. I guess I'm feeling/hoping this is true. God help us if we plan to play games exactly the way we have in the preseason. We'll get housed. However I suspect that both the offense and Defense have shown us the most vanilla version of themselves.
I am more optimistic for the defense. I have no doubt we will see more blitzing and press coverage in the regular season. Hopefully the turnover trend continues. If we can keep that in our favor it will help the offense alot.
As for the offense. I don't hold out high hopes but the passing game has to have a few more wrinkles than what we've seen. Has the starting unit even played together? Gore and Norris barely saw the field. I almost forgot that Bruce was on the team. Plus, despite how he looks now, we have to remember that there is a different Shaun Hill that shows up on game day. I find it hard to believe that his brain allows him to treat a preseason game much differently than it does practices.
Finally, I'm glad that we lost our last game to the chargers. I would be more nervous if we went 4 and 0. There is a difference between being the Colts and going 4 and 0. There you say. O.K. we've got our offensive groove back its time to go. We needed a wake up call to continue to work hard and improve because that's how we will win. Hopefully now the team will come in hungry vs. arizona. There should be no illusions by our players that they have arrived.
Plus we may not be an NFL elite. But lets not forget that we're in one of the worst divisions in Football. Don't be fooled by the Cardinals. The D is still suspect and the offense is a sack away from being average. St. Lois and the Seahawks are completely retooled. It's hard to imagine St. Louis being that good and it's harder to imagine a Jim Mora Jr. Seahawks to suddenly become contenders.
Share 49ersWebzone