LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 188 users in the forums

How do you feel going into week 1 after preseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Personally I dont feel very optimistic at all like I do every year so I hope I am dead wrong and we pull monkeys out our ass and light the world on fire. I dont like our QB situation personally and Shuan Hill made only one throw that impressed me during preseason. Not to mention our horrible pass protection on the Oline but I can see more than one QB making a start later on this season if it keeps up. I think our D is very strong but where is that pass rush we are looking for? I heared Manusky say "We are running a very vanilla Defense right now and will change during the regular season"... My God I hope so bc every QB will look like Brady with all that protection. Nate better step his ass up as well bc he is getting paid big time $ to get burned. He has had 4 Int's since he has been with us (2 per year) and thats not bc the QB's are shying away from him. Also lets hope Goldston stays healthy this year and plays well @ FS bc if not then we are back to Roman.

The positive side I see however is from our LB core (duhhhh) and our newley aquired rookie Scott McKillop who is every where the ball is and a sure tackler (unlike D.Smith). Willis, Spikes, Harlson, Lawson makes me smile when going into the season. Our Run D is gonna be a force to be reckon with this year and adding Demetric Evans will only help bc that is what he is known for. Abrayo has been playing up to par this preseason but not setting the world on fire. Gore looks just as exsplosive than ever when I watch him run. I think our running game will be just fine. Coffee brings that "no nonsense" running style to this team as well. I really see us doing alot of screens this year and check down passes to both of them this year. Dre Bly has come in and have seemed very solid (getting paid way less and playing better than Nate).

The one thing I am absolutely puzzled about is the WR squad. I am honestly clueless how they are going to effect the season. Between our QB situation, pass protection, and smash mouth style offense they just dont stand out too much to me. I agree all are very solid but not spectacular and will probally contribute alot more to run blocking than catching passes. I am not saying we will run the ball 90% of the time (more like 60%) but I just see us checking down alot to Gore and letting him do screens and swing passes as well. We will see if both cordinators will open up the playbook and see if they been hiding a few things from us in week 1.

Well just a week from today guys begins a new season.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
It's going to be the Jim Hostler style offense again with a little more competence.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Personally I dont feel very optimistic at all like I do every year so I hope I am dead wrong and we pull monkeys out our ass and light the world on fire. I dont like our QB situation personally and Shuan Hill made only one throw that impressed me during preseason. Not to mention our horrible pass protection on the Oline but I can see more than one QB making a start later on this season if it keeps up. I think our D is very strong but where is that pass rush we are looking for? I heared Manusky say "We are running a very vanilla Defense right now and will change during the regular season"... My God I hope so bc every QB will look like Brady with all that protection. Nate better step his ass up as well bc he is getting paid big time $ to get burned. He has had 4 Int's since he has been with us (2 per year) and thats not bc the QB's are shying away from him. Also lets hope Goldston stays healthy this year and plays well @ FS bc if not then we are back to Roman.
The positive side I see however is from our LB core (duhhhh) and our newley aquired rookie Scott McKillop who is every where the ball is and a sure tackler (unlike
D.Smith). Willis, Spikes, Harlson, Lawson makes me smile when going into the season. Our Run D is gonna be a force to be reckon with this year and adding Demetric Evans will only help bc that is what he is known for. Abrayo has been playing up to par this preseason but not setting the world on fire. Gore looks just as exsplosive than ever
when I watch him run. I think our running game will be just fine. Coffee brings that "no nonsense" running style to this team as well. I really see us doing alot of screens this year and check down passes to both of them this year. Dre Bly has come in and
have seemed very solid (getting paid way less and playing better than Nate).

The one thing I am absolutely puzzled about is the WR squad. I am honestly clueless how they are going to effect the season. Between our QB situation, pass protection, and smash mouth style offense they just dont stand out too much to me. I agree all are very solid but not spectacular and will probally contribute alot more to run blocking
than catching passes. I am not saying we will run the ball 90% of the time (more like 60%) but I just see us checking down alot to Gore and letting him do screens and swing passes as well. We will see if both cordinators will open up the playbook and see if they been hiding a few things from us in week 1.

Well just a week from today guys begins a new season.

I feel like an 8-8 team at best. Bad offensive coordinator no franchise qb
no pass rushers.
The pass rush is nonexistent, QB play is underwhelming, the WRs have under performed, the overall offensive game plan looks like it's going to be real boring to watch; so all in all, I'm not optimistic.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
A little queasy to be honest.
I don't think we have shown what our offense will really look like

[ Edited by DANADA on Sep 6, 2009 at 08:40:25 ]
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fzrdave:
The pass rush is nonexistent, QB play is underwhelming, the WRs have under performed, the overall offensive game plan looks like it's going to be real boring to watch; so all in all, I'm not optimistic.

Sad, but true.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by fzrdave:

Not true at all. We have the wild-Niner, remember ? When in doubt on 3rd and 5, dont opt for the typical boring short pass........lets give the fans some real excitement by running the wild Niner.

Yaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy....................................
I'm a little nervous to tell you the truth. Looks like we have the same weaknesses from a year before. No pass rush, shaky offensive line, no franchise quarterback. Hope I'm proven wrong but looking at our schedule right now, I don't see us breaking 500.

• Chief
  • Veteran
I feel like a billion bucks!
  • BobS
  • Veteran
About the only thing to be happy about is the addition of Coffee, so the running game looks good. We have a good punter and place kicker, and with some improved defense this team is fashioned to win a lot of 13-10 games. QB play has been horrible at best, I am afraid Shaun Hill will be exposed as the career 3rd stringer he is this year and Alex Smith has had enough chances and looks awful. Nate Davis is a long way from being ready. If this team gets behind and has to abandon the run we could see some ugly blow outs. This coaching staff is full of bargain basement types and isn't going to out coach anyone. Hoping for 8-8 and no embarrassing blow outs.
I thought 7-9 before training camp and preseason. Now I'm thinking 5-11 or 6-10. I am still baffled how this franchise doesn't address it's major needs offseason after offseason. How many more free agency and drafts have to come and go before we get an at least capable NFL caliber quarterback? How bout a pass rusher who can get close to a quarterback? Or offensive linemen who don't go "ole" on passing downs? Or a nose tackle that takes up 2 offensive linemen? Or a CB that doesn't give 50 mile cushions and still get beat deep? Or a ball hawking safety? I can go on and on.

On top of all that Singletary is looking more like Nolan game after game. Lots of talk but the same ole conservative BS during the games. Motivational speeches don't win football games. Talented football players win football games. And we re-hired Jim Hosteler in the name of Jimmy Raye. I like to be optimistic but I just don't see a Shaun Hill quarterbacked team doing anything better than 6 wins.
  • ZRF80
It's amazing how one player can change the entire outlook of a team. Plug in Brett Favre (not that Id want him) instead of Hill, and all of a sudden we become conference favorites.

I know front management is trying to take the long road to success (ala the Patriots and Colts), but recent trends have demonstrated that it is much easier to transform into a successful team with key free agent plugs. Drew Brees, Kurt Warner, and Chad Pennington (just to name a few) all turned dismal teams into playoff contenders. The Niners do have the basic elements in place. Our defense may be suspect, but then again..........how many times has it had a chance to defend a lead ? It always seem we're playing from behind, and expecting our defense to make that big play to give our offense another chance.

As for offense, we have a good running game. A good running game is supposed to make life much easier for the QB and the passing game. Since we lack key elements in both those departments, our team has suffered.

Im not vying for Brett Favre or Kurt Warner, but it wouldnt hurt to just go uot and spend a whole lot of cash on a guy like Drew Brees (instead of wasting it on a bum like Crabtree) and giving our offense a major jolt.

After 7 years in the dumps, you'd think Niner brass would finally get a clue and give up trying to find that diamond in the rough. Im happy with NDavis, but Id like to see him develop behind a solid QB with a proven background.
at the least...very nervous. However, as a fan I gotta hope for the best.
Share 49ersWebzone