LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

The Roster List (53 Man)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by teeohh:
why can't kickers punt as well? that would save a roster spot. i don't know why this irks me

do other teams have long snappers that don't do anything but long snap? this kind of irks me too

Probably specialization...kinda like how pitchers aren't home run hitters. They're busy working on pitching. Kickers are busy kicking off a tee for distance, Punters accuracy and distance. Similar but different skillset?

Romero could do both in an average fashion, but Nedney/Lee are both legit players.

I'm pretty sure other teams have designated long snappers as well but not pro bowlers like Jennings

[ Edited by showtime49 on Sep 6, 2009 at 09:32:34 ]
Who gets cut when (if?) Crabtree signs? I think Taylor (we don't need 5 safeties) or Spurlock.
Originally posted by jta854:
Who gets cut when (if?) Crabtree signs? I think Taylor (we don't need 5 safeties) or Spurlock.

Considering our starting safety had 2 concussions in 10 days, I don't think you can say we have 5 safeties at the moment. 2 in 10 days is pretty serious. Plus Goldson has an injury history as well.

It would have to be Spurlock.

Hill or Spurlock

I also think Briggs will get cut once Ahmad Brooks is healthy which could be sometime next week? Man I hope we get Tony Pashos on this team.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

Hill or Spurlock

I also think Briggs will get cut once Ahmad Brooks is healthy which could be sometime next week? Man I hope we get Tony Pashos on this team.

What makes you think Crabtree is going to sign?
  • Twister68
  • Info N/A
None of the players cut were claimed.

Maybe some of you now understand why you are not in pro football business? NinerGm? Do you want to explain? Anybody?
I like curtis taylor alot. he makes some big hits back there, and seems to have the speed to cover too...we havent had a good safety in a long time, and dashon and CT would be sickk if they both can perform.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Twister68:
None of the players cut were claimed.

No fair injecting realism into Niner Talk. It is totally inappropriate. This is a FAN board as in FANatic. Don't you know that a fanatic is never realistic?

• dj43
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by dj43:
s
Originally posted by Crown:
Per Sing:

"The overarching theme behind the roster decisions for Singletary and his coaching staff was work ethic.

“You want guys on the team that have a common denominator – that football is important to them and they have a great work ethic,” Singletary said. “As a coach, I was pleasantly surprised that all of these guys had a great work ethic. Certain guys just stepped up in certain areas and did things that made you look twice. Whether it be Spurlock, Jean Francois or Curtis [Taylor], I just think they did a good job. As we sat down as a staff, their names just kept coming up.”

Sweet, we should win the Superbowl if we're ever measured by our work ethic! f**k that, I want guys who show up on game day, not just the clowns who try extra hard to work out in practice to make up for their lack of talent. Yes discipline and worth ethic is important, but at the end of the day I want a gamer.

I am stunned that you are not an exec on an NFL team

That makes two of us.....I dont think I would do much worst than the Niners the last 6 years......

BTW, I'm very disappointed with our current roster. We have not upgraded at all fom last year. The Marvel Smith fiasco is unacceptable....unacceptable! As some have pointed out, the guy was never even cleared to fully practice from TEAM DOCTOR - YES, TEAM DOCTORS! That means they had a pretty good idea how things could end up. There is no way we should have bet on this guy being our starter. Bring him in fine, but no back up?

I say if we suffer another losing season Scotty needs to lose his job. I'll make myself available to take over.....

There were other bodies out there that are called ROTs, but Smith was the best available. The 49ers invested very little money in the guy. McC did his job in the way the contract was written.
You can't just go out and get a starter via FA. No team is going to just release a starting offensive tackle in this league.

There are a lot of other OTs out there. Right after Smith retired, McC indicated they would be watching the waiver wire closely to find a good option to replace him.

Its not about the money. I could care less if they gave him the kind of money Craptree wants. It's the about the probability of him playing. The fact that he hardly made it through practice tells me his back was a huge problem. Either he totally lied to us and the Dr.'s didn't catch it or Scotty just gambled on our whole season and just roled a snake eyes. But Smith isn't the only problem. How do we go into the season with Simms as our swing man? The guy has proven over and over again that he can't play. Are you telling me we couldn't of at least upgraded him? Seriously? By my count we needed at least two legit back ups/starters going into the offseason. There is no excuse for being in this position.

Staley, Snyder (oft injured), Simms (not oft injured enough).
It is pretty much standard practice for teams needing backups at certain positions, to wait until after the cuts are made and then grab a guy. Hence, Tony Pashos looks like he is in play. If not him, there are a couple other guys out there that are in the same general category - vets that were no longer good enough to start and too expensive to be backups.

I don't care to get into a McCloughan discussion but Marvel Smith was the best ROT available in FA. McC grabbed him early and they waited to see if the surgery was successful. It wasn't. The 49ers spent next to nothing for him and he didn't work out. It wasn't like there was a Pro Bowler floating around and McC ignored him. That did not happen.
  • dj43
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by kezar49er:
Should we be looking at Pashos from the jags? We really need a RT

Yes

Pashos = Sims

Nobody could be worse then Sims, Pashos is bigger and younger.

Sims played acceptably well in the final 5 games last year as well as PS games this year. You are going too much on his performance in the Martz offense. Sims is a decent backup but the team still needs another OT.

Sorry dj, but Sims was garbage during preseason. Just garbage.
No he wasn't.

No he wasn't.

No he wasn't.

• dj43
Originally posted by showtime49:
Originally posted by teeohh:
why can't kickers punt as well? that would save a roster spot. i don't know why this irks me

do other teams have long snappers that don't do anything but long snap? this kind of irks me too

Probably specialization...kinda like how pitchers aren't home run hitters. They're busy working on pitching. Kickers are busy kicking off a tee for distance, Punters accuracy and distance. Similar but different skillset?

Romero could do both in an average fashion, but Nedney/Lee are both legit players.

I'm pretty sure other teams have designated long snappers as well but not pro bowlers like Jennings
Most can do both jobs but better to specialize.

Also, if a team has just one guy to do both jobs, and that guys is injured at a critical point in a game, you are dead. OTOH, if the punter is injured, the kicker can likely do a decent job, and vice versa. That is the main reason teams have two guys.
s
Per Sing:

"The overarching theme behind the roster decisions for Singletary and his coaching staff was work ethic.

“You want guys on the team that have a common denominator – that football is important to them and they have a great work ethic,” Singletary said. “As a coach, I was pleasantly surprised that all of these guys had a great work ethic. Certain guys just stepped up in certain areas and did things that made you look twice. Whether it be Spurlock, Jean Francois or Curtis [Taylor], I just think they did a good job. As we sat down as a staff, their names just kept coming up.”

Sweet, we should win the Superbowl if we're ever measured by our work ethic! f**k that, I want guys who show up on game day, not just the clowns who try extra hard to work out in practice to make up for their lack of talent. Yes discipline and worth ethic is important, but at the end of the day I want a gamer.

That makes two of us.....I dont think I would do much worst than the Niners the last 6 years......

BTW, I'm very disappointed with our current roster. We have not upgraded at all fom last year. The Marvel Smith fiasco is unacceptable....unacceptable! As some have pointed out, the guy was never even cleared to fully practice from TEAM DOCTOR - YES, TEAM DOCTORS! That means they had a pretty good idea how things could end up. There is no way we should have bet on this guy being our starter. Bring him in fine, but no back up?

I say if we suffer another losing season Scotty needs to lose his job. I'll make myself available to take over.....

There were other bodies out there that are called ROTs, but Smith was the best available. The 49ers invested very little money in the guy. McC did his job in the way the contract was written.
You can't just go out and get a starter via FA. No team is going to just release a starting offensive tackle in this league.

There are a lot of other OTs out there. Right after Smith retired, McC indicated they would be watching the waiver wire closely to find a good option to replace him.

Its not about the money. I could care less if they gave him the kind of money Craptree wants. It's the about the probability of him playing. The fact that he hardly made it through practice tells me his back was a huge problem. Either he totally lied to us and the Dr.'s didn't catch it or Scotty just gambled on our whole season and just roled a snake eyes. But Smith isn't the only problem. How do we go into the season with Simms as our swing man? The guy has proven over and over again that he can't play. Are you telling me we couldn't of at least upgraded him? Seriously? By my count we needed at least two legit back ups/starters going into the offseason. There is no excuse for being in this position.

It is pretty much standard practice for teams needing backups at certain positions, to wait until after the cuts are made and then grab a guy. Hence, Tony Pashos looks like he is in play. If not him, there are a couple other guys out there that are in the same general category - vets that were no longer good enough to start and too expensive to be backups.

I don't care to get into a McCloughan discussion but Marvel Smith was the best ROT available in FA. McC grabbed him early and they waited to see if the surgery was successful. It wasn't. The 49ers spent next to nothing for him and he didn't work out. It wasn't like there was a Pro Bowler floating around and McC ignored him. That did not happen.

Well after reading your post that you thought Simms was a decent back up at the end of the season (giving up the game winning sack to J.Porter) and has done decent in preseason I can see your point. However, I disagree because I think Simms is garbage and therefore we needed at least 1 starter and 1 decent back up. Smith was a total gamble as his contract reflects (low gaureentes and huge incentives) and Barry's just bad.

I do agree however that there wasn't a must have probowler out there. I think K.Barnes was the typical talent level available.

I wonder how the economic meltdown has affected the Yorks? We all know they were among the least wealth of team owners. Maybe behind the scenes Scotty's hands are tied. I'm not saying the York's are cheap, I'm just saying times are tough for a lot of people (relatively of course)

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Sep 6, 2009 at 21:13:05 ]
  • dj43
s
Per Sing:

Well after reading your post that you thought Simms was a decent back up at the end of the season (giving up the game winning sack to J.Porter) and has done decent in preseason I can see your point. However, I disagree because I think Simms is garbage and therefore we needed at least 1 starter and 1 decent back up. Smith was a total gamble as his contract reflects (low gaureentes and huge incentives) and Barry's just bad.

I do agree however that there wasn't a must have probowler out there. I think K.Barnes was the typical talent level available.

I wonder how the economic meltdown has affected the Yorks? We all know they were among the least wealth of team owners. Maybe behind the scenes Scotty's hands are tied. I'm not saying the York's are cheap, I'm just saying times are tough for a lot of people (relatively of course)

The Porter sack was unfortunate in timing because Sims had been playing well. Many writers had acknowledged the fact. However, his history is not good so they sound like they are going after Pashos. If they get him that is a good thing. What they then do with Sims will tell us all a lot about what the professionals think about Sims and his future.
a cut is coming...
Share 49ersWebzone