There are 274 users in the forums

The Roster List (53 Man)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by B650:
Spurlock? Wow, pure genious.

Genius. G E N I U S.

Probably a word you want to spell right.

Now is that really needed Nick? I think not. We all knew what he meant.
Originally posted by fister30:
I don't understand how Jeff U or michael robinson continue to take space on the roster. Roland is a better ILB than Jeff U.

Two words: Special Teams.
Originally posted by NJNiner:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by B650:
Spurlock? Wow, pure genious.

Genius. G E N I U S.

Probably a word you want to spell right.

Now is that really needed Nick? I think not. We all knew what he meant.

Yes, but we all love irony...
Well i was wrong on Hill being cut. I thought he was gone.

It's gonna be tough to be the guy who's cut when Crabtree arrives. I think it's gonna be between Spurlock and Hill.

It surprised me that we retained Demetric Evans and Marques Harris and that we only kept two TEs.

-9fA
Originally posted by Sactown49er:
I don't understand how Jeff U or michael robinson continue to take space on the roster. Roland is a better ILB than Jeff U.

Put down the pipe, homie!

Maybe I need to pick up the pipe. I have never thought Jeff U has ever been a decent ILB. Those two guys take up space from people that can actually contribute on defense or offense. I don't know if sheets will ever be a #1 RB somewhere but he could have been a decent 3rd down back.

Maybe I need to pick up the pipe. I have never thought Jeff U has ever been a decent ILB. Those two guys take up space from people that can actually contribute on defense or offense. I don't know if sheets will ever be a #1 RB somewhere but he could have been a decent 3rd down back.

Sheets was never gonna make an impact on the running game. Between Gore/Coffee and the FBs, he never was going to get more than 2-3 carries a game.

Which is why when you're down to the 3rd team, you need to be able to contribute on special teams because you're not going to be seeing much other action on the field. This is precisely why guys like Ulbrich and Robinson make the team.

I see him on the practice squad though.

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Sep 5, 2009 at 16:17:19 ]

What you think of Jeff is one thing, but to say Roland is better is loco. Heaven forbid, if Willis goes down you are saying you would rather have a UDFA in there instead of a ten year vet who took a pay cut, in order to take up less space and make the ultimate contribution to the team, save them money.

Jeff and Robinson contribute more on special teams than any two players on the 49ers roster.

Coffee is the 3rd down back. 3rd down back is first and foremost, a blocker, Coffee is way better than Sheets at that.

[ Edited by Sactown49er on Sep 5, 2009 at 16:26:17 ]
I was surprised by Sheets. He seemed to have some real burst out of the backfield, though he was dancing around a bit last night.

Hopefully he does get on the practice squad, because if Gore gets hurt, the Niners are going to need to call up a RB.
Who gets released when Crabtree signs?
Per Sing:

"The overarching theme behind the roster decisions for Singletary and his coaching staff was work ethic.

“You want guys on the team that have a common denominator – that football is important to them and they have a great work ethic,” Singletary said. “As a coach, I was pleasantly surprised that all of these guys had a great work ethic. Certain guys just stepped up in certain areas and did things that made you look twice. Whether it be Spurlock, Jean Francois or Curtis [Taylor], I just think they did a good job. As we sat down as a staff, their names just kept coming up.”

Sweet, we should win the Superbowl if we're ever measured by our work ethic! f**k that, I want guys who show up on game day, not just the clowns who try extra hard to work out in practice to make up for their lack of talent. Yes discipline and worth ethic is important, but at the end of the day I want a gamer.

kory sheets won't get picked up. Guaranteed.
Originally posted by Angryninerfan:

I hope not, for some reason i like him better than coffee. Gore and Coffee are way too similiar, we need someone to come in there with a change of pace. Sheets was fast as hell. Hope we can sign him to the practice squad
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Daniel2778:

I hope not, for some reason i like him better than coffee. Gore and Coffee are way too similiar, we need someone to come in there with a change of pace. Sheets was fast as hell. Hope we can sign him to the practice squad

I hear what your saying but practice squad signings are ten a penny. We may lose him very quickly.
Originally posted by Envy:
Originally posted by Daniel2778:

I hear what your saying but practice squad signings are ten a penny. We may lose him very quickly.

Every NFL team (including us) failed to draft him. I doubt anyone picks him up now.

Remember, he would have to be put on the active roster.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
These players should have been cut. They are only on the team because of draft position.

Manny Lawson -- He has done nothing since being drafted. He was drafted to be a pass rushing OLB in 3-4 defense. Dude simply looks lost out there, he gets punked by every Tackle he faces. Only on the team because he was 1st round pick.

Alex Smith -- Might be the worst QB in the league. I used to think he was still young and just learning, but the real truth is the guy just sucks. Only reason he is still with the team is because of where he was drafted. If he was a third round pick he would have been cut by now.
Share 49ersWebzone