LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

Should Nate Davis be the back-up QB behind Shaun Hill?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should Nate Davis be the back-up QB behind Shaun Hill?

Simply put our QB Situation isnt set in stone, Smith could very well be the starter if Hill fails to produce/gets injured, same can be said for davis.
  • bret
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
This kid's better than Alex Smith IMO. He's played well throughout the preseason, I don't remember Alex Smith playing this well in his preseason days. I say put him in as our backup. Alex Smith can be third string.

You're kidding right? I guess people have forgotten that Smith looked pretty damn solid against 3RD AND 4TH TEAMERS in his Rookie year too.

Would you people please put the crack pipe down? PLEASE?

Put that kid into the fire behind our weak ass OLine against first teamers and let's see what happens. Until then SHUT UP about it. All you're doing is ticking us realistic fans off by putting out ignorant supposition about something that should NEVER happen unless necessitated by injury.

~Ceadder

What are you smoking? Alex never looked good against anyone! He has a good arm, good speed, and he's smart--book smart. And the last has been shown over and over when he simply hasn't been able to develop a feel for the game--against first-stringers, second-stringers or even the scrubs!.

I always hoped that as he developed confidence the game would slow down for him and this would change. But this pre-season it's been more of the same. I can't get the screen pass out of my head that could have been a touchdown (I think it was in the second game), but Alex panicked and threw it at the receiver's feet.

Davis shouldn't be second string this year. He should be given something Alex deserved and never got: a chance to grow and develop without unreasonable expectations.

But I feel strongly that he is the quarterback with the more potential than anyone on this team in the last 5 years!
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by Mike8016:
Smith sucks

Topic wasn't ABOUt Smith. It was about DAVIS.

~Ceadder

Your man love for Alex Smith is un-relenting, LOL! We could win 5 Superbowls with a plastic lawn chair at QB and you'd disregard them as a fan cause Alex Smith didn't do it.

Man love? I pointed out RIGHTFULLY that the topic was about Davis and not Smith. The poster stated that Smith sucks. That belongs in a SMITH topic not a Davis topic.

If you think that Smith sucks fine. I'[m not out to change anyone's mind about that. But let's be intelligent about our posts.

~Ceadder
Smith sucks

~Ceadder

Your man love for Alex Smith is un-relenting, LOL! We could win 5 Superbowls with a plastic lawn chair at QB and you'd disregard them as a fan cause Alex Smith didn't do it.

Man love? I pointed out RIGHTFULLY that the topic was about Davis and not Smith. The poster stated that Smith sucks. That belongs in a SMITH topic not a Davis topic.

If you think that Smith sucks fine. I'[m not out to change anyone's mind about that. But let's be intelligent about our posts.

~Ceadder

Oh snap son!!!
Originally posted by Dshearn:
This kid's better than Alex Smith IMO. He's played well throughout the preseason, I don't remember Alex Smith playing this well in his preseason days. I say put him in as our backup. Alex Smith can be third string.

You're kidding right? I guess people have forgotten that Smith looked pretty damn solid against 3RD AND 4TH TEAMERS in his Rookie year too.

]

what the f**k games were watching Smiths rookie Season??

You mean like 3 of 9 for 25 yards in week 1 2005?

2 of 7 in Week 2 of preseason for 15 yards?

6 of 13 for 37 yards in week 3 of preseason?

9 of 15 in Week 4?

Davis has had DRIVES that had more completions and yardage then HALF of A. Smiths rookie preseason games..........

these statistics are pretty solid right Ceadderman???????? you have a man crush on Alex Smith. admit it.

I never said to START Nate Davis. I'm saying he would be a better backup than Alex Bust. We all know Alex Smith sucks. Penciling Nate Davis in as the number 2 QB wouldn't screw up his progression. If Hill stays healthy the whole season, Davis wouldn't even see any action. How would this slow down his progression and ruin him like many of you stated we "ruined" Alex Smith. Alex Smith was ruined from the get go. All these excuses make me sick. All you Smith supporters seem to be watching a completely different guy than the rest of us.

Alex Smith sucks. Nate Davis > Alex Smith. The End.

Screw it. Neither Hill or Smith were inspiring. Throw Davis out there and let him loose.

Statistics were NOT thrown out because when Smith played his Rookie year in preseason he LOOKED pretty solid. I NEVER stated that his stats were perfect.

So you can cram that point.

The POINT of the rebuttal, was that he DID NOT do it against 1ST AND 2ND TEAMERS. So can we dispense with this talk about making him QB2.

Your hatred for Smith is duly noted.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by bret:

Would you people please put the crack pipe down? PLEASE?

Put that kid into the fire behind our weak ass OLine against first teamers and let's see what happens. Until then SHUT UP about it. All you're doing is ticking us realistic fans off by putting out ignorant supposition about something that should NEVER happen unless necessitated by injury.

~Ceadder

What are you smoking? Alex never looked good against anyone! He has a good arm, good speed, and he's smart--book smart. And the last has been shown over and over when he simply hasn't been able to develop a feel for the game--against first-stringers, second-stringers or even the scrubs!.

I always hoped that as he developed confidence the game would slow down for him and this would change. But this pre-season it's been more of the same. I can't get the screen pass out of my head that could have been a touchdown (I think it was in the second game), but Alex panicked and threw it at the receiver's feet.

Davis shouldn't be second string this year. He should be given something Alex deserved and never got: a chance to grow and develop without unreasonable expectations.

But I feel strongly that he is the quarterback with the more potential than anyone on this team in the last 5 years!

Ummm think that I address this so I'll just point you to my last post right above this one.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Sep 6, 2009 at 11:41:13 ]
Smith sucks

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

True, the topic was about Davis being considered the backup, but also the top was that Smith should be third string. So the topic all together is about Nate Davis and Alex Smith... and who should be the number 2 QB.
^^^^"Smith sucks"^^^^

Now where was the Davis part of that again? Davis is pretty decent but how'd he do again against a solid Defensive team? Yup that inspires the bump to QB2.

But I digress. The post was purely about Smith and the opinion that he sucks. Cool, we get it. People hate Smith so much they post random BS.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Yeah let's throw a rookie QB in there not ready to go because it worked so well last time. Seriously, you guys are so far beyond whack it is not even funny anymore, it is just plain pathetic. But I digress...please feel free to continue with the knee jerk reactionary rhetoric.

Naming Nate Davis as the backup QB is throwing him in??? I didn't know holding a clipboard and listening to plays through the headset on the sidelines was throwing someone in. ?????

YES it IS throwing him in. Look at last year and the year before that. How many injuries did Hill sustain in that 2 year period? It's not a question of IF Hill is injured. It's a question of when and if he'll be able to play. If not your choice of QB2 takes the next game or hell may even take over if Hill is knocked out of the game.

Freakin Einstein we got here folks.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Sep 6, 2009 at 11:51:56 ]
Yeah let's throw a rookie QB in there not ready to go because it worked so well last time. Seriously, you guys are so far beyond whack it is not even funny anymore, it is just plain pathetic. But I digress...please feel free to continue with the knee jerk reactionary rhetoric.

Naming Nate Davis as the backup QB is throwing him in??? I didn't know holding a clipboard and listening to plays through the headset on the sidelines was throwing someone in. ?????

YES it IS throwing him in. Look at last year and the year before that. How many injuries did Hill sustain in that 2 year period? It's not a question of IF Hill is injured. It's a question of when and if he'll be able to play. If not your choice of QB2 takes the next game or hell may even take over if Hill is knocked out of the game.

~Ceadder

And if that were the scenario, Alex Smith would do SOoOoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooOOOOo much better.

~Ceadder

And if that were the scenario, Alex Smith would do SOoOoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooOOOOo much better.

Okay BM, I will DARE you to find one article where Hill was just so much better than Smith that it necessitated giving him QB1.

If you can, then I will back off this ignorant opinion that Davis will outplay Smith against 1st and 2nd teamers.

Cause to be honest playing against scrubs fighting for a roster spot is not even close in level of competition.

~Ceadder

Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by DonJulio:
No.

lets not f**k this guy up like we did Alex Smith, lets not rush Davis into any acton, im all for him being the 3rd and being able to watch and learn, and depending how well Hill plays give Davis a chance to compete next year and see what he can do
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Great here we go.

And the problem with question is ??

What do you mean? Here we go ? It's a very legit Q.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
YES....Alex Smith > Shaun Hill > Nate Davis

you're kidding, right ?
Alex is our savior!!!
not right away. maybe after a few games, yes.
Share 49ersWebzone