LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

Should Nate Davis be the back-up QB behind Shaun Hill?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should Nate Davis be the back-up QB behind Shaun Hill?

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Absolutely not.

Potential, sure. But Davis played against 3rd and 4th stringers. He made nice throws, but he would have been eaten alive against 1st string talent.

Davis would be so wide-eyed if he ever had to start right now, it'd be catastrophic.

Alex would be fine, he has the experience. Nate isn't ready for that.

What happens if Alex finally develops? Where does this leave Nate? I know it's a good things that Alex would finally develop, but isn't the team in a bad situation now that Nate Davis has looked pretty good in the time given?

[ Edited by WheresWaldo on Sep 6, 2009 at 18:09:30 ]
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Absolutely not.

Potential, sure. But Davis played against 3rd and 4th stringers. He made nice throws, but he would have been eaten alive against 1st string talent.

Davis would be so wide-eyed if he ever had to start right now, it'd be catastrophic.

Alex would be fine, he has the experience. Nate isn't ready for that.

What happens if Alex finally develops? Where does this leave Nate? I know it's a good things that Alex would finally develop, but isn't the team in a bad situation now that Nate Davis has looked pretty good in the time given?

I think regardless of whether or not Smith develops (or if we draft a first round QB next season) I'm almost for certain that Nate will be moved up to the #2 spot (if he doesn't end up being our future, he would still shine bright as a reliable backup).

-Shaun Hill will probably remain the odd-man out due to his physical inabilities.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by 915Niner915:
dude ND is not ready to play against 1st string D's. Let the guy develop, let him stay in that 3rd role. I personally cant wait for the season to start IMO. Hill had like 13-8 TD/INT from half a season? Play the whole and double 26-16 and 3k + yrds? Idk lol

double his stats over 16 games?

32 games MAYBE, but not 16. You WERE paying attention to what Hill was... Errrrr WASN'T able to do were you not?

~Ceadder

Ceaddar, your man love with Smith is very transparent. The things errr Hill can't do are still better than the things Alex can do. Alex can't do anything and offers nothing. And by doubling his stats he probably meant that if Hill had 13 TD and 8 int in half a season. Double that for a whole season and that is what he is looking forward to. Pretty straight forward, no?

ALex Smith should be QB 3 at the very best. PErsonally I don't even think he belongs in the NFL. Have him play up there in Americas Hat, AKA Canada.
Davis could make a solid #2.If coaching and the O/line was to develope into some sort of top caliber line,then Davis could make #1. No disagreement on the development of Davis but I have to look over to the south tip my hat off to a young q/b by the name of ryan throwing some pretty good# last season.Then look over to ravens and look at joe flacco. (Basically the argument of a q/b not being ready can go either way.)Although they had help with a O/line the fact remains they were rookies with no mentor just skills and desire to do the best they can and let it all hangout.I like Smith's attitude,but he was thrown into the fire and the skills he do have was'nt enough.He just like all the players in the nfl knows what kinda of love em 1 minute hate them the next world the league is just like Davis does.Its a rights of passage to be thrown out there to test your skills against the best.You'll always have some to triumpth and some that'll fail.I always felt Smith was'nt a good pick but,I'll still cheer him on as I will the whole team.Davis could get the job done
Originally posted by bigmike55:
This kid's better than Alex Smith IMO. He's played well throughout the pre season, I don't remember Alex Smith playing this well in his pre season days. I say put him in as our backup. Alex Smith can be third string.

Nate should roam the sidelines and learn. Aley will be the backup.

Let's groom Nate and not rush into this.
Davis should be sitting, for a good year or two. We should absolutely let him develop, and not ruin his talent..He is too raw, doesnt know the speed of the game, and needs to learn the playbook.

but is he still better than Hill even at his young tender, rookie status? absolutely. Hill is so bad, no way is a fully healthy alex smith as bad. Hill scares the f*ck out of me, every time he makes a seven step drop i feel like hes gonna fall back on his *ss.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Nate Davis has shown that he should be groomed for the future. He has every throw in the book, he get rid of the ball quickly. I believe that he should be given lots of reps next year to see if he ready to be number 2 or should he compete for 1
Make him earn it!
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Here we go... Nate Davis > Alex Smith

Right. Seriously man I think Nate will be good one day but this is a hopeless discussion. You're a typical reactionary fan. I find them in every fan base. I have friends who are raider fans and when Andrew Walter had a good pre season everyone clamored for him. What happened? 2-14.

I'm just saying I agree with you that Nate is good but you have to put things in perspective. It's like saying Brit Miller is better than Moran Norris or Jo Jon Finley is better than VD. It's senseless. With your logic we should just start Davis and bench Hill too. Cmon man get real.

Regardless of what happened in the preseason, you can't deny the fact and history that Alex Smith stinks it up every time he's on the field. Nate Davis has all the skills and qualities that your beloved Alex Smith has, but Davis is much better.

He's got the big arm, the mobility, but unlike Alex Smith, Davis actually has pocket presence and accuracy. He's not afraid to throw the ball away if there is no play. Alex Smith scrambles around and rolls to his right every time he sees a little pressure and makes a poor decision with the ball.

All I'm saying is Nate Davis has a lot more upside and potential than Alex Smith. We've all seen what Alex Smith can do, (not much). Nate Davis is better than Alex Smith IMO.

When Smith throws the ball away, it's a bad thing.

When Davis throws the ball away, it's a good thing.

-9fA

He didn't say "Smith throws the ball away", he said Smith makes poor decisions with the ball. See, there is a difference. Smith either forces into into coverage, or holds it too long...usually leading to a sack, and sometimes (shock) a fumble!

Smith has shown very little in the way of basic QB skills. He has zero pocket presence. Period. I've seen him scramble, break a tackle, and run for 20 yards on one play...then hold the ball for way too long, and flounder around in the pocket until a nice D-lineman comes along to put him on the ground for a rest. It's like he forgets that he can RUN the ball or throw it away if he has to.

People talk about Davis having a learning ability, but I've said all along it looks like Alex Smith has one. When I heard his college coach say he had to learn the entire offense before he could be effective, that scared me. Then seeing his lack of field awareness, just makes me wonder that much more.
I can't read any more of this BS.

ya his 9 total yards and the 0 total first downs in the second half against the chargers 3rd team was AMAZING o wait i forgot he lit up the 3rd team of the raiders my bad

[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Sep 7, 2009 at 09:36:37 ]
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
ya his 9 total yards and the 0 total first downs in the second half against the chargers 3rd team was AMAZING o wait i forgot he lit up the 3rd team of the raiders my bad

It's not all about his stats. Just the way he's playing football, the decisions he's making, the throws he's making, his pocket presence, allllll better than Alex Smith. Alex Smith is a 5 year veteran, Davis is a rookie... Now shouldn't Smith be performing better than Davis???? hmmmmmmmm i would think so.

Alex Smith was drafted number one overall, Nate Davis is a 5th round pick. hmmmmmm isn't a number one overall pick be better than an undrafted journeyman like Shaun Hill, or even a 5th rounder in Nate Davis? hmmmmmmmm

It's not all about his stats. Just the way he's playing football, the decisions he's making, the throws he's making, his pocket presence, allllll better than Alex Smith. Alex Smith is a 5 year veteran, Davis is a rookie... Now shouldn't Smith be performing better than Davis???? hmmmmmmmm i would think so.

Alex Smith was drafted number one overall, Nate Davis is a 5th round pick. hmmmmmm isn't a number one overall pick be better than an undrafted journeyman like Shaun Hill, or even a 5th rounder in Nate Davis? hmmmmmmmm

was any QB in the draft with Tom Brady better than him? he was a 6th round pick. was anyone drafted above Joe Montana better than him? he was a 3rd round pick. draft position doesnt mean s**t, just means you get payed more and you were more hyped. Nate Davis was a great QB in school but he wasnt in the SEC so he didnt get the hype that all the SEC guys get.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

was any QB in the draft with Tom Brady better than him? he was a 6th round pick. was anyone drafted above Joe Montana better than him? he was a 3rd round pick. draft position doesnt mean s**t, just means you get payed more and you were more hyped. Nate Davis was a great QB in school but he wasnt in the SEC so he didnt get the hype that all the SEC guys get.

"...you were more hyped" exactly, Alex Smith was more hyped, and turns out he's a bust. Nate Davis didn't get any hype, but he's in the NFL now. And he should be in front of Alex Smith on the depth chart because he's better than Smith. Apparently, 55% of zoners agree.
Nate is right where he should be. If a game was played tomorrow and Hill couldn't start, I wouldn't Nate in there.

Of course Nate has the brighter future, but game experience? Advantage - Alex.
Share 49ersWebzone