LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 314 users in the forums

Have 49ers improved enough to become winners?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Have 49ers improved enough to become winners?

Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Here come the gloom and doomers...

like there isnt anything to be gloomy about right? Did u forget we havent made the playoffs in a long a$$ time.
Winner YES Play off team NO
Originally posted by singfan:
Originally posted by nflguy49:
"However, we will establish an identity. We will run the ball and stop the run."

We were already decent at that. We have one of the best runningbacks in the NFL. The 49ers run defense has never been as horrible as the pass defense. In fact the run defense often helped raise our avg so the defense didn't rank dead last.

9 wins and/or a playoff game are the only things that can save Singletary's job.

I believe both Singletary and Scotty will be out of jobs should the 49ers finish their season as poorly as some think they will.

They are both busy acting as if they haven't been here for the past 4 years. They don't know what has happened in the past . It seems that everything is, or was, the fault of Nolan. As a result, there are fans that have completely forgotten that they were old Nolan dudes and are giving them a free pass. The seven year plan to mediocrity for these guys is right on track.

The funniest thing I have heard is when sing said on the radio that the first thing he had to change was "the culture". Ummmm... excuse me, McFly? FYI, you helped to establish the culture that you suddenly want to change.

Enough already.

Got that sh*t right.
  • whole49yards
  • Info N/A
I must admit, after watching the Dallas game I saw 2008. But that was the first half of that season.

Now for the good news! This is not the same team as the first half of last season. I am a proponent of the team reflects the coach and vice a versa. I beleive that we have a QB who will put up numbers commensurate with his numbers for the second half that he played. That would be over 3400 yards passing, 20 plus TD's. and about 30-33 sacks.

Our team is cetrtainly not worst than a year ago. Martz was stripped of his play calling when Coach replaced the starting QB and succumbed to Coaches philosophy. We ran a completely different style of football which was cleaned up and focused on less is more--that is --if you can run plays , even simple plays to perfection, you can succeed!

I think we will do the little things well i.e. technique and will continue to build and go forward. Sorry, got that from Coach!

We are a 9 plus win team. I don't beleive the Cards, Seahawks or the Rams are as sound as we are and I'll leave it at that.
I honestly don't know.

We have some things going for us that can make us a potential playoff team. Our commitment to the run, a full year under Sing and his system, and a top notch special teams unit. Not too mention a weak division.

We also have some things going against us. Like our questionable pass rush, questionable passing game, and some lack of depth along the O-line.

Could be a 6-10 team. Could be a 10-6 team.
The 9ers have made very few upgrades from last season. The pass rush is nonexistent, the offensive line is still suspect on passing downs, Hill is only marginal at QB, and outside of Bruce and Battle, the WRs haven't shown much. I'm still sticking with my 7-9 and hoping that I'm wrong.
It is too early to tell guys!

We should not get too excited about this team, nor should we get too down on this team either.

We definently have the right head coach who can lead this team in the future but what we don't have is complete confidence with the leader on the field (Shaun Hill). Once we get the QB that we have complete faith in (we may have that in Davis) we will be a perinial playoff team again.

The Niners should be no worse than a 7-9 team and probably no better than a 9-7 team. That is just how I see, but that it doesn't mean I will not be rooting for something to go our way and shock the NFL!

Go Niners 09'
Originally posted by singfan:
Originally posted by nflguy49:
"However, we will establish an identity. We will run the ball and stop the run."

We were already decent at that. We have one of the best runningbacks in the NFL. The 49ers run defense has never been as horrible as the pass defense. In fact the run defense often helped raise our avg so the defense didn't rank dead last.

9 wins and/or a playoff game are the only things that can save Singletary's job.

I believe both Singletary and Scotty will be out of jobs should the 49ers finish their season as poorly as some think they will.

They are both busy acting as if they haven't been here for the past 4 years. They don't know what has happened in the past . It seems that everything is, or was, the fault of Nolan. As a result, there are fans that have completely forgotten that they were old Nolan dudes and are giving them a free pass. The seven year plan to mediocrity for these guys is right on track.

The funniest thing I have heard is when sing said on the radio that the first thing he had to change was "the culture". Ummmm... excuse me, McFly? FYI, you helped to establish the culture that you suddenly want to change.

Enough already.

Come on Singfan, you have to believe. Don't be so negative. Singletary is a great motivator and Raye an offensive genius. Manusky one of the best young defensive coordinators in the league. Last year we were only a play or two from winning the division (Niners - 7-9 and Cardinals 9-7). The Cardinals can't be better, Seattle is mediocre and the Rams crap. We have a real shot to win the division. Believe Sing, BELIEVE!!!.
i think we will win 8 games this year... so YES we've improved. but... we still need a QB. I think our defense overall will be fine once the season starts.
Originally posted by Lifer:
My gut says "no" but I'll take the wait and see approach. Maiocco does a nice overview:

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/09/have-49ers-improved-enough-to-become-winners.html

and I mostly agree with him. Improvement will have to come from within and a lot of things will have to go right. The truth is this team was a winner over the last 7 games of 2008 and so you can make the argument that we're already there and all we have to do is build on that success. But like a lot of people, I see major red flags at O-line and D-line and it's easy for me to envision disaster. In the end, I think this is an 8-8 team. If things go well and we get a few breaks, we could have a winning season; but if we have a couple key injuries or bad breaks we're looking at another disappointment.

same here

Keep the faith my friends. At least give them a couple of games before the season gets doomed on.
Let's face it our pass rush will be very simular to last season , and our pass blocking probably will be slightly improved without the 7 step drops and Martz. Our run game will be improved and we will see more from our passing offense than what we have seen in pre-season. I wouldn't go into the season expecting to see the playoffs but it could still happen. I won't budge off of my original 7-9 or 8-8.
Share 49ersWebzone