LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 382 users in the forums

How much worse can Davis do?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How much worse can Davis do?

Originally posted by modninerfan:
How much worse can Davis do? is not a yes or no question...

Originally posted by Sinsation:
want to ruin Davis' development like we ruined Alex's??

Different QB, different situation. Our team is much better all around now and Alex Smith NEVER looked as good as Nate Davis has - not even against 3rd stringers.

While I'm not saying we should start him, I am saying that if Shaun Hill were to either go down with injury or get pulled due to poor performance, I'd rather see what Nate Davis can do instead of going thru the Alex Smith experience again.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Everyone already knows what happened with Smith. Look at the (recent) historical facts in order to avoid making the same mistakes.

If you want to look at recent facts about rookie QBs, why are we looking at Alex Smith instead of Matt Ryan and Flacco? Not every rookie QB is destined for failure just because Alex Smith was atrocious during his rookie year. This is not the same team as 05.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Everyone already knows what happened with Smith. Look at the (recent) historical facts in order to avoid making the same mistakes.

If you want to look at recent facts about rookie QBs, why are we looking at Alex Smith instead of Matt Ryan and Flacco? Not every rookie QB is destined for failure just because Alex Smith was atrocious during his rookie year. This is not the same team as 05.

Sorry, this isn't Atlanta or Baltimore and Davis isn't Ryan or Flacco. Most quarterbacks do quite well after a season or two on the bench.

For a more relevant (at least to a 49er fan) history lesson, see Joe Montana's and/or Steve Young's career.
yes? no?

how bout a , wtf?

I do agree that if a young QB "has it" all of the natural ability , poise in the pocket , the abilitiy to make quick reads and deliver the ball accurately which so far it appears that Davis can do then he could probably be brought along at a quicker pace. He didn't get the reps that Stafford , or Sanchez or Ryan got in their camps. I do think that the coaching staff needs to excelerate his learning curve now with his showing. I agree this isn't the same team and I don't think that Smith ever looked that comfortable or quick in his decisions as a rookie. IMHO All of that said he will still benefit from having more time to learn things.

[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Sep 2, 2009 at 23:27:52 ]
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
What the hell is the question???
Originally posted by modninerfan:
How much worse can Davis do? is not a yes or no question...

my answer is, he can do a lot worse... i'm not willing to take that risk

i would risk it! we were willing to risk it for alex smith who was fighting for that starting position! so how far off is nate davis from being a starter in the nfl? i give it by week 10. and for sure the webzone will be talking his name!

I think that a lot of people here don't think that way. (they should but they dont)
Why do people start polls without a question?

How much worse can Davis do? Davis who? Vernon Davis? Eric Davis? Be specific.

Because if you mean Nate Davis, the answer is a LOT worse. The Niners have already ruined one Number One pick in Alex Smith and he wasn't ready to start when he was thrown into the deep end of the pool without so much as a life preserver and told to sink or swim.

Smith went down like the Titanic. Now we don't even know if he's a competent Number#2.

The only reason I'd play Davis this year is if Hill or Smith were put on the shelf for the whole season and even then I'd be scared the kid would get devoured by a first-team defense throwing at him all kinds of packages and blitzes he's never seen before.

The only reason Davis is here and Huard is gone was there was no way to sneak him onto the practice team. Otherwise, this is his redshirt year. Grab a ball cap and learn how to send in the hand signals Nate. You're going to have a career in the pros, but NOT this season.

[ Edited by Ohio49er on Sep 3, 2009 at 00:58:07 ]

• fan49
  • Veteran

every qb would react differently..... its worked before. smith was ruined. I think davis would react in a positive way. that is just me tho. But by far he has the most talent out of the 3

Different QB, different situation. Our team is much better all around now and Alex Smith NEVER looked as good as Nate Davis has - not even against 3rd stringers.

While I'm not saying we should start him, I am saying that if Shaun Hill were to either go down with injury or get pulled due to poor performance, I'd rather see what Nate Davis can do instead of going thru the Alex Smith experience again.

REALLY? Have you even considered using rational thoughts, instead of just going with " Alex Smith SUKS," as a basis for your entire view on what would be best for the 49'er franchise?

"Alex Smith NEVER looked as good as Nate Davis has - not even against 3rd stringers."
---The above statement, makes it look/sound like you haven't ever watched a Niner game without wearing the "I Hate Alex" googles.

Sorry, this isn't Atlanta or Baltimore and Davis isn't Ryan or Flacco. Most quarterbacks do quite well after a season or two on the bench.

For a more relevant (at least to a 49er fan) history lesson, see Joe Montana's and/or Steve Young's career.

What filthy said!

-9fA
A few things to remember about Davis...one, he hasn't had the practice reps on the full playbook that Hill and Alex have. Two, he's played against the opposition's 3rd stringers. Three, absolutely no need to throw him out there this season unless it's an emergency situation or the team is either hopelessly behind or way ahead. I really like Davis, but the team will be cautious to avoid making any mistakes with him like were made w/Alex. Here's an excellent article by Lowell Cohn on that very subject:

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20090902/sports/909029895
Share 49ersWebzone