LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

Do any of our players have trade value before the cuts?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1. Damon Huard- a 7th from the Pats?
2. Alex smith- A conditional 7th if he makes the team?
3. Zeigler- ??
4. Spurlock?/
5. JJ Finley?
6. Bear Pascoe?
7. Mark Roman
8. Jay Moore
9. Khalif Mitchell
I think the player that could command a 7th or 6th is Kory Sheets, but i think the niners need to keep this speedster as a potential KR/PR and change of pace back.
no
Originally posted by young9er:
no
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by young9er:
no
Now this thread is funny
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
R U Kid Ing Me

When was the last time anyone every heard of a team trading for a player before cuts? I’m going to guess never. Why would a team trade for a player that might get cut? Even if a player gets put on the practice squad another team can pick them up.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
IMO, on our team that would value a 6th or 7th round pick or another back up player:

Arnaz Battle
Michael Robinson
Alex Smith
Jason Hill

Only guys I can think of right now. Mark Roman showed he has no trade value this off-season when the team granted him permission to seek one but failed to do so.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
R U Kid Ing Me

When was the last time anyone every heard of a team trading for a player before cuts? I’m going to guess never. Why would a team trade for a player that might get cut? Even if a player gets put on the practice squad another team can pick them up.

49ers when we traded for Cade McNown??
R U Kid Ing Me

Potentially the 49ers in 2010 trading for an OT that is better than Barry Sims, Jacob Bender or Alex Boone......

R U Kid Ing Me

I don't think it's that unheard of. If there's a specific player you want, it makes sense to give up a draft pick to ensure that you get him. If he gets cut, there's no guarantee you'll be awarded the waiver claim (unless you're the Lions).

Ex. If the Pats really wanted Damon Huard to backup Brady, it's smart of them to trade for him then to gamble another team will claim him off waivers if/when he's cut.

To answer the original post, I don't think any of those guys are worth trading for, but that's just my opinion. I'm no GM

[ Edited by olapac on Aug 31, 2009 at 10:01:26 ]

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Kolohe:
R U Kid Ing Me

Didn’t they get him in during the offseason and he hurt his shoulder in preseason and then was released.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:
R U Kid Ing Me

Didn’t they get him in during the offseason and he hurt his shoulder in preseason and then was released.

I'm not too sure, I was hoping you would correct me by looking it up??

I was too lazy to look it up.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 9erred:
R U Kid Ing Me

Potentially the 49ers in 2010 trading for an OT that is better than Barry Sims, Jacob Bender or Alex Boone......

Boone did pretty well against second and third string Cowboys.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 9erred:
1. Damon Huard- a 7th from the Pats?
2. Alex smith- A conditional 7th if he makes the team?
3. Zeigler- ??
4. Spurlock?/
5. JJ Finley?
6. Bear Pascoe?
7. Mark Roman
8. Jay Moore
9. Khalif Mitchell
I think the player that could command a 7th or 6th is Kory Sheets, but i think the niners need to keep this speedster as a potential KR/PR and change of pace back.
None of these players will get a guy who would make the roster. With the exception of Alex Smith, all of the rest except Roman are likely cuts.

Smith, if Hill does not play well, has a chance to revitalize his value but if he does, the 49ers wouldn't trade him.

You have to give quality to get quality, and this team isn't deep enough yet to get much.
Share 49ersWebzone