There are 215 users in the forums

Biggest preseason dissapointment to me: Josh Morgan

Shop Find 49ers gear online
how can you be disappointed in someone who has done so very little to show he is a good WR?
Originally posted by RonMexico:
how can you be disappointed in someone who has done so very little to show he is a good WR?

Agreed. For a guy touted to become very good in the league, he really hasn't done much. Just like VD if you ask me.

Either way when a ball hits your hands in this league, you better f**king catch that s**t or at least make sure it doesn't get tipped up into the air for an Interception.

f**k.

Thanks to linkboy for the pic
He doesnt run good clean crisp routes. Hes aggressive to go after the ball. He still looks a little raw.
battle is our best receiver so far in preseason. We're not really deep in receivers as i thought. Jones is hurt, bruce wont be on the team next year, zeigler n hill may not be on the active roster this year, leaving only morgan as our future. He has been disappointing in the preseason. Man i believe we need crabtree more than i thought. We gotta think of our future.
Originally posted by Method:

Agreed. For a guy touted to become very good in the league, he really hasn't done much. Just like VD if you ask me.

Either way when a ball hits your hands in this league, you better f**king catch that s**t or at least make sure it doesn't get tipped up into the air for an Interception.

f**k.

The question is, who had him touted to be good? Yes, I've seen a couple national articles here and there listing him as a "sleeper", but nothing much. Much of what we've seen has been generated by local media and on message boards. The guy had 20 receptions, 300 yrds and 3 tds last season and some people around here have penciled him into the pro-bowl. Morgan is a classic case of over expectations from fans. I'm not saying that he wont become a good, maybe great WR some day, but come on people, it's only his second season.
Yes and no. He has not looked all that good, but it is not like the QBs have been playing all that good either.
Originally posted by BMore9ersfan:
Originally posted by Method:

f**k.

The question is, who had him touted to be good? Yes, I've seen a couple national articles here and there listing him as a "sleeper", but nothing much. Much of what we've seen has been generated by local media and on message boards. The guy had 20 receptions, 300 yrds and 3 tds last season and some people around here have penciled him into the pro-bowl. Morgan is a classic case of over expectations from fans. I'm not saying that he wont become a good, maybe great WR some day, but come on people, it's only his second season.

It wasn't just the local media. If it were, why not create a open competition for the #2 WR spot like they did with the CBs? It's because people within the organization believe he was so good that Jones, Hill, Battle or Zeigler didn't even deserve a shot at the job.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
What do you guys think of Isaac Bruce performance? He's actually done worse than Morgan. He has no catches this preseason.

Morgan's lack of performance has more to do with the QB and OL play. If those two parts of the team don't play well, the WRs will suffer.

The 49ers are ranked #30 in preseason passing.

So Morgan's poor play is due to the o-line and QB.

And Bruce's poor play is due to...himself?

-9fA

Lack or reading comprehension skills? Try again
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Yeah I just don't think he is a #1 WR and im not sure the team felt he was a #1 WR that is why they drafted Michael Crabtree. Morgan doesen't have great speed and he doesen't have the softest hands. I still think/hope he can develop into a solid #2 but I don't see him as a #1.

Right now my biggest fear is that Mike Martz made these guys (Morgan, Bruce, Ziegler, Hill) look better than they really were last year. Martz has a history of getting the best out of the WR's he coaches and they drop when he leaves.

i doubt that was the thinking behind selecting crabtree. The team was saying Morgan was their best Wideout last year if it weren't for his staph infection. Having two No. 1 receivers isn't a bad thing (i.e. Arizona).
Well, I hope that its just preseason, he knows that he is gonna be one of the starting WR's and is just keeping himself healthy and playing more loose. We shall see come Game 1, till then, pointless.

Justin Smith hasn't done to much this preseason, that doesn't mean that he won't have a good regular season, some players just take it differently.

• BobS
  • Veteran
No improvement from Alex Smith and what is looking like a wasted first round pick (Crabtree) are of much greater impact. Also that non existent pass rush is more of a problem. This team seems to have zero improvement from last year and may regress.
I always knew Morgan wasn't that great, I never understood the hype.
Originally posted by BobS:
No improvement from Alex Smith and what is looking like a wasted first round pick (Crabtree) are of much greater impact. Also that non existent pass rush is more of a problem. This team seems to have zero improvement from last year and may regress.

I'm not dissapointed at the lack of pass-rush. Why should I be? The team has not adressed that area AT ALL. All they did was bring Marques Harris and Ahmad Brooks.

What did they expect?
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Originally posted by BobS:

I'm not dissapointed at the lack of pass-rush. Why should I be? The team has not adressed that area AT ALL. All they did was bring Marques Harris and Ahmad Brooks.

What did they expect?

Ok, so you would've brought in a good pass rusher, which would've resulted in Manny getting benched (so that's your first round pick, idk how much management would've liked that) and a very good cover LB...OR you would've benched Haralson (a player that came on strong last year, and has some more potential).

How about you wait for the regular season and see how these two young linebackers since neither of them have shown their inability to play at this level, more Lawson, but lets see how he does this year.
Gore hasn't been too impressive in the preseason...

I'd say his job is in jeopardy

Lions undefeated last year in the preseason...Colts winless...preseason is meaningless in every way for the starters
Share 49ersWebzone