There are 220 users in the forums

Should Hill Really be our starter?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should Hill Really be our starter?

• fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Shaun Hill should be the starter.

That said, if Alex truly is "done," then we are completely set back IMO. We will have to draft yet ANOTHER QB next draft or the draft after next and basically start over.

Lets be honest, Shaun Hill will lead us to 9-7 for the next 4 years IMO. I love the guy, but he's not taking us to the Super Bowl or deep into the play offs. We'll be a Wild Card, maybe divisional winner once but thats it. I dont see us getting past the Giants, Packers, Vikings, or any other NFC "power house." I'm sorry. Shaun maybe "better" than Alex but if any of you believe we're going 12-4 with Shaun...stop lying to yourself.

Personally, I say let Alex start...see what he can do. If he fvcks up and we start 0-2 or something...put Shaun in and release Alex in the off-season. Better to know now than later or let Alex go somewhere else and maybe do well. But thats just Madden talk so I'll stop.

there is no way in hell hill lasts that long with davis here. davis is better now. but will be clownin hill in less than 2 years....

but on alex idea

[ Edited by fan49 on Sep 1, 2009 at 16:43:06 ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Out of all the Hill bashing he still leads by 29% over 27%, there's no doubt he should be the starer, and I was never really a fan of his either.
What Q,B. qualities and/or skills do you see our Q.B. Hill having similar to the other NFC West Q.B's who all have been former Pro-Bowler's?

Just curious.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
ugh, i really hope shaun hill looks good against the Cards

I really Hope Nate Clements looks good against the Cards
Quck release, good instincts, underrated mobility.

Other than that, I'm stumped.
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:

It may seem the Quick Release is starting to diminish from the list. Well so far this year in Preseason so i dont know how much we can read in to it?
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:

It is an interesting question is'nt it?

I hope more posters respond to the Hill-Hasselbeck-Warner-Bulger question posed above in reply to post #287.

[ Edited by BigMar on Sep 1, 2009 at 17:04:56 ]
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
This should be renamed the double standard post...All of you guys, or most of you are excusing Hill for making the same mistakes Smith made. It is sad and ridiculous that some of you even try to deny this. In the one game that both got near equal snaps, Smith looked more accurate and more in command of the huddle. You guys say Smith is inaccurate, but Hill wasn't even getting the ball close enough for the wide outs to drop. I am seriously praying that this is just a product of preseason and not the true Hill we're seeing... or maybe it's the curse of Joecools praise.

Hill played exactly how I thought he would, inconsistent and conservative. It takes Hill more than a quarter to get things going with him, once he settles down and finds his rhythm is where he takes control of his game. But even though Smith may have played or looked better than Hill at times, he still did not do enough to win the job or set the world on fire with his play, his injury also did not help him. And whether you support Smith or Hill or both, you simply can't deny that.

This is the main reason why he's our starter. When he doesn't get settled in and takes control, he is no different than an ultra conservative Alex Smith but Hill has the plus side of taking over the game.

All I am saying is that if he continues to play like he has, no excuses. Bring in Smith, who even you Smith haters would have to agree played better than Hill against the raiders. I have yet to see Hill take over a game, I have seen him manage games, which is fine with me as long as we win those games, but he is not the kind of QB that takes over a game. Hell, I would be ecstatic if he just beat a playoff team, something Smith has done. I agree that Smith didn't do enough to take the job from Hill to this point, but he also didn't play against Dallas, and seeing how our oline is still crappy at pass blocking, I am kinda happy he didn't. I do not think Smith is ready to jump back in there after such a long layoff due to injury, so I have to pin my hopes on Hill just like the rest of you. Hill should have looked miles better than Smith if he is a great as some of you claim and Smith is so bad, especially after his injury and not playing for 18 months, yet it was a close competition. My main problem is how inaccurate Hill has suddenly become, he is floating passes that aren't even deep ones and missing open receivers by a mile. You guys would have Smith hung on the cross by now if it was him performing like this. For example the missed screen to Coffee in the Raiders game, how was it any worse than the missed pass to Coffee in the Cowgirls game?

Once again I blame you Joe for cursing him just like you did JTO...

Yeah Memphis, I'm back in your corner. Shaun has got to come out week 1 and impress. All he's done for me thus far is two nice passes to VD in the first preseason game.

There's no reason to sit Alex if Shaun gets in the game and performs like he did against Dallas. Smith at least has upside.
I think we should hand the ball off more. The hand off is like the homerun of baseball. IT CHANGES GAMES!!

As for Hill I will give my grade on Hill after the first week of regular season
Originally posted by backontop:
I think we should hand the ball off more. The hand off is like the homerun of baseball. IT CHANGES GAMES!!

Re-visit reply # 287

like to know your 2 cents to that question.... but then again, maybe not.

Originally posted by BigMar:

Re-visit reply # 287

my $0.02 is that the question is retarded. You are comparing 3 prior probowl QB's to S. Hill!! That is like comparing the #6 WR on the team to Jerry Rice. The only similarity is they all play QB

Re-visit reply # 287

my $0.02 is that the question is retarded. You are comparing 3 prior probowl QB's to S. Hill!! That is like comparing the #6 WR on the team to Jerry Rice. The only similarity is they all play QB

Whoops der it is! now weez on the same page, but this will probally be the last time.

Re-visit reply # 287

Whoops der it is! now weez on the same page, but this will probally be the last time.

That is because you don't open the book
Originally posted by fan49:
He hasn't shown any inkling of being a starter all pre-season. This is not a thread about alex or davis being the starter. Simply' its about Hill not showing any sign of being an nfl starter. Last year he did go 7-3. I almost promise none of those teams were in the top 15 d. So share opinion if you like, but should shaun hill be our starter or are you nervous?

do you have anyone better ?
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by fan49:
He hasn't shown any inkling of being a starter all pre-season. This is not a thread about alex or davis being the starter. Simply' its about Hill not showing any sign of being an nfl starter. Last year he did go 7-3. I almost promise none of those teams were in the top 15 d. So share opinion if you like, but should shaun hill be our starter or are you nervous?

do you have anyone better ?

While people think davis is too raw, and yes he is raw. I truly think he would react in a positive way to start as a rookie. his situation would be better than alex's, wr, line, and d all better. Plus hes got more poise than anyone we got, not to mention more accurate, and a bigger cannon! His arm would give frank more running room no matter what. and as someone stated before hill= no turnovers, Davis = no turnovers and td's!

And while I still think alex is a better qb than hill, ill let that go cause it could start a webzone war, and its a whole nother thread.
Share 49ersWebzone