There are 242 users in the forums

I am now realizing , tell me if u agree or disagree

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by eddy99_1999:
I keep hearing its preseason and it doesn't matter , actually it does to me because our starters could not spread the offense but our 3rd and fourth strings really didn't have a problem going down the field in the air

Exactly...now imagine our 3rd and 4th strings, against a 1st string defense.
Originally posted by verb1der:
I keep hearing its preseason and it doesn't matter , actually it does to me because our starters could not spread the offense but our 3rd and fourth strings really didn't have a problem going down the field in the air

Exactly...now imagine our 3rd and 4th strings, against a 1st string defense.

I'm an now realizing...that you're overreacting...I'll visit this thread after week 2.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
After watching both preseason about 4 times with my comcast dvr I've come to the conclusion we are are in trouble with our receiving corp this year , last year we had the same receivers and they looked like they were coming to there own but the only reason they looked good is because of Mike Martz with his five receiver formation running all over the place someone would always get open. Josh Morgan is OK but if u watch him against an average corner its hard for him to get separation making it hard for the QB to get rid of the ball causing sacks , Shaun Hill would try to get Morgan the ball but he wouldn't get open, the 2 times he caught the ball one from Alex and one from Shaun were pure luck. Michael Spurlock all the hype about him i haven't seen any wow's from him WHERE IS THE TAZER , Dziggy nothing , Jason Hill he looks ok but i want to see him with the first team offense , Battle i don't like him but the dude seems to get more open then anyone else , I am posting this to see if anybody agrees or maybe wants to add there own insight

Its amazing how many people read too much into pre-season. Lets remember that through 2 games, Bruce and Gore have each played a total of 1 series. In general, the starters didn't play much more than 1 series in the first game. To the extent you want to believe these are "real" games, the Raiders strength is their pass defense but their run defense struggles quite a bit. Even when the 49ers started passing the ball more with Davis in the 2nd half of the Raider game, Davis had a very limited package to work from. Its also a new offense and until now, there's been a QB competition going on so its not like there is a lot of continuity right now. The WR's will be fine. Remember, the Lions went 4-0 last pre-season. That should be all you need to know about making evaluations based on pre-season games.

Look at the situation so far.........Baas has been out so we are playing with a backup LG. Hill and Smith were sharing time so no QB got a chance to get into a rhythm. Gore hasn't had any playing time (2 runs doesn't count). Bruce has had limited PT and Jones is still hurt.

I wouldn't expect much with that!!
I am not overreacting i just want to bring to attention
After watching both preseason about 4 times with my comcast dvr I've come to the conclusion we are are in trouble with our receiving corp this year , last year we had the same receivers and they looked like they were coming to there own but the only reason they looked good is because of Mike Martz with his five receiver formation running all over the place someone would always get open. Josh Morgan is OK but if u watch him against an average corner its hard for him to get separation making it hard for the QB to get rid of the ball causing sacks , Shaun Hill would try to get Morgan the ball but he wouldn't get open, the 2 times he caught the ball one from Alex and one from Shaun were pure luck. Michael Spurlock all the hype about him i haven't seen any wow's from him WHERE IS THE TAZER , Dziggy nothing , Jason Hill he looks ok but i want to see him with the first team offense , Battle i don't like him but the dude seems to get more open then anyone else , I am posting this to see if anybody agrees or maybe wants to add there own insight

You saw all this in 2 preseason games with watered-down schemes and half-hearted efforts? You're good.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
hey whats up, welcome to the pre season. where nothing matters.

Ah yes...the typical mantra spewed on this forum each and every year. "Dont worry guys. It's only preseason. We'll show them our true colors when the season starts."

Of course, we've destroyed the competition in the regular season for the past 5 years right ?

Seriously.

On the same token, the raiders have looked GREAT in preseasons of the past and they haven't exactly lit up their "W" column now have they?

Preseason means nothing. Get over it.

The starters are not fighting for a roster spot, the 3rd-stringers are. You're fooling yourself if you think everyone is out there giving it a full effort. Preseason serves several purposes, but finding out how good or bad your starters are isn't one of them. You'd have to run a full gameplan and be sure everyone is giving it their all to find out how good or bad the starters are. That will be seen in the regular season.
I am not overreacting i just want to bring to attention

Actually the only real thing you can bring out of the hat we WILL be a run oriented team. Once teams are forced to keep 8 in the box we will have some wide open receivers. Esp Vern. Lets just home we keep seeing what we have between him and Hill.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Alot of people are gonna say that pre-season means nothing. Just like the year Hostler was our oc and that pre-season we had trouble moving the ball. We had the same answers...pre-season don't sweat it.

Now I won't say that our WR's suck and wont get open in the regular season. However, if you have to be a tad concerned that they havent been able to get open.

The guys that looked ok were Vernon vs broncos (one series) Battle (even though he gets little separation) and Jason Hill (but he was playing against mostly scrubs)

Tomorrow should be a better gauge to see how we might perform in the regular season.

it's preseason,
[ Edited by bigmike55 on Aug 28, 2009 at 6:35 PM ]
We must have also forgotten that these were the first 2 games the guys have played in 8 months. Do any of you really expect them to play as if they just came off a bye week instead of an entire offseason?
all i know is this gm on sat is the gm starters play the most and i better see us being able to move the ball regardless if its preseason. if not then i'll be worried, if we cant do crap for a half with the starters then you cant help to be worried even if its a preseason gm.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
hey whats up, welcome to the pre season. where nothing matters.
Ah yes...the typical mantra spewed on this forum each and every year. "Dont worry guys. It's only preseason. We'll show them our true colors when the season starts." Of course, we've destroyed the competition in the regular season for the past 5 years right ?

yea i hope they can get seperation but theyre going to have to show me more to gain my confidence.
preseason=players and coaches evaluating and warming up.Ya know refamiliarizing themselves with the game of football,and hyping up fans like myself that can't wait for the season to begin. The coaching staff as well as the players just can't open up all their potential at that point.People will see the point when,the season begins and that rushing game opens up the passing game.Chillax Bro
Share 49ersWebzone