There are 285 users in the forums

Shaun Hill: Martz made me look bad

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by genus49:
Anyone with a brain could tell that QB competition was BS. I said it last year that JTO had no business being in that competition and the fact that he suddenly came out of nowhere was a friggin joke.

Funny how many people jumped on his bandwagon only to come crashing off of it when he couldn't hide his knack for turnovers.

That's why I'm in love with Sing. [b][b]The guy is a straight shooter[/b][/b] and if he says there is competition and both guys are on equal footing the players know it's legit.

My only concern with Sing and Raye is that they don't get all Mooch like late in the 4th quarter if we have the lead in close games. I want us to be a pound the ball and move the chains team but sometimes you can't just run 3 straight downs into consistent 3 and outs and give the other team a chance.

That game against Chicago where we gave up 15 points in like 2 minutes and lost in OT still haunts me. Perfect example of why you play to win....not to not lose.

He is huh. Then why name the QB now. Why not wait til AFTER the 3rd game. Which was what Sing STATED back when we learned there was going to BE a competition.

There was no competition. It was a figment of his imagination.

I'm still behind Sing but man it is NOT looking too good at the moment.

~Ceadder

What the hell are you talking about? Sing never said when the decision would be made. The competition was very fair and they switched up every practice unlike last year when it was very obvious when JTO was HANDED the job and Nolan kept telling us not to read anything into the fact that JTO was getting every first string practice while Smith got 2nd and Hill hardly practiced.

Ummmm I believe that you should go back and look it up. It was the THIRD game and has ALWAYS been the THIRD game. Ummm now this said, how many games have been played? It's been reported on just about EVERY network that covers the NFL that it was the third game because the fourth game is traditionally used for the scrubs to make an impact on the coaching staff and for the other staffs of the league if they don't make it with the one they went through Camp with.

And fair? Mmmmm let's look at this. 2 snaps for passes in game one for Hill. 7 for Smith.

7 in game 2 for Hill and 9 for Smith. This is a QB battle not a RB battle. We already KNEW that we were going to Run the ball. Where was the QB battle again?

I got the stats from the 2nd article on Zone home page just to cite my source.

I didn't personally keep track of it but from everything I saw there was NO competition.

~Ceadder

He did say that he would probably make a decision after the 3rd game. The reason Singletary and Co. made the decision now instead of after the Cowboy game is simply because Alex had to CLEARLY outplay Hill during the offseason.

He also said it was going to come down to playing against other teams that Alex would have to show that he could handle the live action and prove he was the superior QB. He did not do that with his play in the first 2 games or during Raider practices and one game (the 3rd game) probably was not going to sway anything, so Singletary decided to make the decision now, rather than later to get the offense more in sync with the starter before the season.

Ummmm okay I don't know what Sing means by out played, when the "competition" is so lopsided for one thing and the WRs' in the Faders game clearly didn't perform well. 3 drops 1 INT and the INT was in the man's hands and then knocked up by our own WR.

NOBODY can outperform their competition with that kind of assistance.

And that stiff arm to keep the defender from tackling the ball carrier in our backfield? You'll NEVER see Shaun Hill do that.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Oh gimme a freakin BREAK.

I just got finished reading an article talking up Hill's ability to point the finger in his OWN direction (Mayhew's latest) and now we have THIS?!?!

If there was ONE thing that I admired about Hill it was his ability to take the blame even when it wasn't his fault. To all his supporters, that showed leadership. I've been up in the air until NOW. Shaun Hill=Barrack Obama. Built up on ALOT of nothing and then rammed down my freakin throat.

Say what you want but mark my words he's NOT going to last long. Not if this article is true. Martz is GONE, what the truck does he have to do with the 49ers of the PRESENT. Good leaders recognize this fact and move on. Poor leaders blame others when it is convenient for them to do so.

I hope that he doesn't lose too many games for us.

~Ceadder

MIKE SINGLETARY

On what he likes best when he looks at Shaun Hill:

"I like the consistency. I think he has a commanding presence about him when he gets in the huddle. I think the guys have learned to rally around him and his leadership. Alex Smith continues to do that. Alex Smith, as I said before, made great strides. I'm very excited about what he brings and what he's had to work through to get to this point. Shaun, right now, really offers a lot of leadership and I'm excited about that."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/08/in-their-words-qb-decision.html

I think Singletary know a little something about leadership

Until I see something better than what we got last season it's just lip service to me. Also it doesn't mean a DAMN thing given the nature of this competition. Leadership is all well and good but when you END a competition in a dead heat after 2 games, ya gotta ask yourself if it was even worth having the competition when your 3rd and 4th QBs' out shine QB1 and QB2, as a result of seeing more time on the field.

~Ceadder
Anyone with a brain could tell that QB competition was BS. I said it last year that JTO had no business being in that competition and the fact that he suddenly came out of nowhere was a friggin joke.

Funny how many people jumped on his bandwagon only to come crashing off of it when he couldn't hide his knack for turnovers.

That's why I'm in love with Sing. [b][b]The guy is a straight shooter[/b][/b] and if he says there is competition and both guys are on equal footing the players know it's legit.

My only concern with Sing and Raye is that they don't get all Mooch like late in the 4th quarter if we have the lead in close games. I want us to be a pound the ball and move the chains team but sometimes you can't just run 3 straight downs into consistent 3 and outs and give the other team a chance.

That game against Chicago where we gave up 15 points in like 2 minutes and lost in OT still haunts me. Perfect example of why you play to win....not to not lose.

He is huh. Then why name the QB now. Why not wait til AFTER the 3rd game. Which was what Sing STATED back when we learned there was going to BE a competition.

~Ceadder

What the hell are you talking about? Sing never said when the decision would be made. The competition was very fair and they switched up every practice unlike last year when it was very obvious when JTO was HANDED the job and Nolan kept telling us not to read anything into the fact that JTO was getting every first string practice while Smith got 2nd and Hill hardly practiced.

Ummmm I believe that you should go back and look it up. It was the THIRD game and has ALWAYS been the THIRD game. Ummm now this said, how many games have been played? It's been reported on just about EVERY network that covers the NFL that it was the third game because the fourth game is traditionally used for the scrubs to make an impact on the coaching staff and for the other staffs of the league if they don't make it with the one they went through Camp with.

And fair? Mmmmm let's look at this. 2 snaps for passes in game one for Hill. 7 for Smith.

7 in game 2 for Hill and 9 for Smith. This is a QB battle not a RB battle. We already KNEW that we were going to Run the ball. Where was the QB battle again?

I didn't personally keep track of it but from everything I saw there was NO competition.

~Ceadder

He did say that he would probably make a decision after the 3rd game. The reason Singletary and Co. made the decision now instead of after the Cowboy game is simply because Alex had to CLEARLY outplay Hill during the offseason.

He also said it was going to come down to playing against other teams that Alex would have to show that he could handle the live action and prove he was the superior QB. He did not do that with his play in the first 2 games or during Raider practices and one game (the 3rd game) probably was not going to sway anything, so Singletary decided to make the decision now, rather than later to get the offense more in sync with the starter before the season.

Ummmm okay I don't know what Sing means by out played, when the "competition" is so lopsided for one thing and the WRs' in the Faders game clearly didn't perform well. 3 drops 1 INT and the INT was in the man's hands and then knocked up by our own WR.

And that stiff arm to keep the defender from tackling the ball carrier in our backfield? You'll NEVER see Shaun Hill do that.

~Ceadder

Oh come now oneniner . . . err . . . . Ceadder, I'm sure a guy who has no problem diving helmetless for a first down on National TV would have no qualm about de-cleating a DE given the opportunity.
Originally posted by Mex49:
Martz made me look bad

~Ceadder
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

Oh come now oneniner . . . err . . . . Ceadder, I'm sure a guy who has no problem diving helmetless for a first down on National TV would have no qualm about de-cleating a DE given the opportunity.

Oh okay, maybe he would de cleat the DE but he'd have to untie the man's shoes first.

Diving helmetless is survival. Not toughness. He just forgot which end goes first. Feet Shaun, FEET.

All I know is I want the guy to shut the hell up and not say another derogatory word about ANYBODY. Next he'll start bad mouthing Nolan for not recognizing a winner when he sees one.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

Oh okay, maybe he would de cleat the DE but he'd have to untie the man's shoes first.

Diving helmetless is survival. Not toughness. He just forgot which end goes first. Feet Shaun, FEET.

All I know is I want the guy to shut the hell up and not say another derogatory word about ANYBODY. Next he'll start bad mouthing Nolan for not recognizing a winner when he sees one.

~Ceadder

WOW! You feel pretty strongly about this don't you. I still don't understand why though.... He answered the questions he was asked, and Smith even backed up his statement. What's the issue here?
The bottom line was Nolan KNEW that he was nearing the end of his line and he had to do something to try and SAVE his job. I said it then and I'll say it again.

Nothing was working for Nolan, even the Defensive unit which started out pretty good during his first year was regressing. He HAD to do something!

Mike Martz seemed to be the QUICK answer to his pathetic Offense and so he GAVE WAY to Martz wishes to put in JTO (because of JTO's familiarity with Martzs offensive schemes). Seemed to have been a viable solution at the time.

Problem was JTO was NO better than the Tim Rattay that they had in previous years who gave away almost as many points as he would score due to turnovers.

Nolan was counting on his defense to hold whatever lead Martz and company could muster but it didn't happen.

Out went Nolan ... Out went Martz ... End of the Story! Both Smith and Hill can complain "Preferential treatment" and it would be TRUE .. but for a reason that didn't pan out!
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Aug 27, 2009 at 6:33 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
You guys have some bad memories...remember how we were ranked in the bottom of the league on O in 06-07?? Martz did his job...he added some fire to the offense even though it was filled with bad players. Yeah it wasn't pretty but it was the first time we saw this team score atleast twenty points in back to back games in years...
Is Shaun Hill gonna play the entire 1st half???

Anybody know???
Originally posted by Twister68:
Jim Trotter's article in SI

So Hill and Smith didn't like the way Martz handled the QB competiton. No wonder, Martz was a joke.

just watch this year , if you want to talk about a joke. We are going to Run, run & run and after that run. look at us we are last in passing in preseason. atleast with Martz was fun passing long and s**t like that we are going to be the most boring team in the leauge and on top of that we can't get to the QB it's going to be a long season 8-8 if we are lucky !

Originally posted by cNiner:

So Hill and Smith didn't like the way Martz handled the QB competiton. No wonder, Martz was a joke.

just watch this year , if you want to talk about a joke. We are going to Run, run & run and after that run. look at us we are last in passing in preseason. atleast with Martz was fun passing long and s**t like that we are going to be the most boring team in the leauge and on top of that we can't get to the QB it's going to be a long season 8-8 if we are lucky !

come on man, since when has preseason been ANY indication of the playcalls during the regular season...

-9fA
Originally posted by cNiner:

I'm starting to become addicted to the early season high-depressing slump-starting winning again for the holidays.

Keeps things interesting, and gives us a better opportunity to get a franchise QB next year.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Don't talk bad about a former coach.

Especially one that has his own show now...not good.

You mean the guy who was fired 3 times, rams, lions, niners. He will be fired after this season if he likes keeping his tradition.
After hearing Martz talk about the types of plays that he called for the Rams and the Lions on NFL network it's clear to me how O'Sullivan and got the starting job. Mike Martz is a genuine nerd when it comes to football, he tries to break down the quarterback position into some sort of science where he'll call a play and tell the quarterback to throw the ball exactly 22 yards down the right hash instead of letting the quarterback make decisions for himself. With this type of playcalling technique is obvious how Kitna and O'Sullivan through so many interceptions and how he was able to choose O'Sullivan to start over Hill and Smith.
Oh gimme a freakin BREAK.

I just got finished reading an article talking up Hill's ability to point the finger in his OWN direction (Mayhew's latest) and now we have THIS?!?!

If there was ONE thing that I admired about Hill it was his ability to take the blame even when it wasn't his fault. To all his supporters, that showed leadership. I've been up in the air until NOW. Shaun Hill=Barrack Obama. Built up on ALOT of nothing and then rammed down my freakin throat.

Say what you want but mark my words he's NOT going to last long. Not if this article is true. Martz is GONE, what the truck does he have to do with the 49ers of the PRESENT. Good leaders recognize this fact and move on. Poor leaders blame others when it is convenient for them to do so.

I hope that he doesn't lose too many games for us.

~Ceadder

If one's mouth was not open to ignorance then you would not have to worry about anything being rammed down your throat. A sly remark about Barrack is just as ignorant as arguing that he was not a citizen because he was born in Hawaii and to chastise Hill because he expressed his opinion of his experience is equally ignorant. He has a much better idea of what occurred than anyone one of us. I'm not a fan of his at all; but his opinion should not make anyone like or dislike him any more or any less.
Share 49ersWebzone