LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 344 users in the forums

Shaun Hill: Martz made me look bad

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Oh gimme a freakin BREAK.

I just got finished reading an article talking up Hill's ability to point the finger in his OWN direction (Mayhew's latest) and now we have THIS?!?!

If there was ONE thing that I admired about Hill it was his ability to take the blame even when it wasn't his fault. To all his supporters, that showed leadership. I've been up in the air until NOW. Shaun Hill=Barrack Obama. Built up on ALOT of nothing and then rammed down my freakin throat.

Say what you want but mark my words he's NOT going to last long. Not if this article is true. Martz is GONE, what the truck does he have to do with the 49ers of the PRESENT. Good leaders recognize this fact and move on. Poor leaders blame others when it is convenient for them to do so.

I hope that he doesn't lose too many games for us.

~Ceadder

You'd be b***hing if you were treated like that too... Just look at how you reacted to this article. He WAS PROFESSIONAL and took the situation like a man because he could have blown things up in an instant last year. Imagine if he had opened his mouth just a little? Instead, he kept his cool and came to work and did his job.

I still admire him and am a fan. This changes nothing.

Exactly. Just because the dude speaks out his frustration, he is't a leader and suddenly won't win us any games....wtf? is this guy still pissed off about his boy Smith not getting the starting job?

He came to work and did his job, probably becuase he knows this is the only place he can get a job, at least in the NFL...

And no im guessing he isnt mad about his boy smith getting the job, his anger probably has more to do with how bad our Qb's in this franchise have been the past what, 6 years?
  • rum53
  • Veteran
The reality is that Martz' offense is unique and requires a very specific skill set from its QB (as well as every other position in the offense). The issue is that JTO has more of the skillset desired by Martz than both Hill and Smith.

Unfortunately for JTO the 49ers lacked the skill sets required for every other position on offense. For example, the Martz offense uses a lot of 7-step drops. Those are great when you have Orlando Pace at LT but the 49ers OL is built for power running.

Martz appeared to be more concerned with finding the skill sets necessary to run his offense HIS way rather than adjusting his offense to the skill sets on the 49ers roster. The result is JTO at QB, Gore being used as a finesse RB, the OL giving up numerous sacks, and VD being used as a pass blocker.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Do you think Mike Martz sat in his office and said, "you know what I'm gonna orchestrate this entire quarterback so that JT O'Sullivan wins it because I don't like Shaun Hill and Alex Smith" GTFO That's BS

He had a complicated system. JT O'Sullivan had the best grasp of it. JT O'Sullivan started. Then JT O'Sullivan turned the ball over too much and got benched. Shaun Hill got the starting gig. Mike Martz threw out half of his playbook to dumb it down for Hill and Hill had success.

It's just all sour grapes on Hill's part.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Danny is blaming Scot for the 49ers current predicament at QB? He missevaluated Alex Smith allowing the 49ers to spend a top pick on him and he turned out to be a bust. It happens. Lets see how McCloughan goes about correcting that mistake from here on out.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
C'mon guys.

You all make it sound like Hill called a PC to rip Martz out of the blue. The rigged QB competiton (arm fatigue??) was a hot topic around here last year. Now after winning the job in a legit competition a reporter asked Hill about last year and he gave his straight-up opinion on the matter. What's the problem here?

IMO the way the competition went down last year is a big reason Martz is gone.

It's funny, I remember that most of you guys were on the JTO bandwagon. I called bulls**t right when I heard about Hill's "tired arm" and JTO getting all the preseason starts. I knew that he was fine, because you never hear about a quarterback's arm getting worn out like a pitcher. Nolan kept lying through his teeth and saying that he hadn't made a decision yet, but the competition was definitely not fair. Let me see if I can dig up a relevant thread to vindicate myself.

http://forums.49ers.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=54555

you could have atleast posted a link to the right forum

By "right", if you mean the Webzone, I did a search, but the search feature only goes back 6 months. So I couldn't pull up anything on Training Camp 08.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by crzy:
I like Shaun Hill but his whining is annoying.

JT O'Sullivan won the QB job last summer because he had the best grasp of Martz's offensive system. Duh...everybody knows that.

Saying that, why did Hill play better with the same OC?

Because Martz obviously simplified his playbook for Hill midway through the season at Singletary's request.

Then wouldn't that insinuate that Martz's playbook was a little on the crazy side? The issue with Martz is, everything has to be his way or no way.

A lot of offensive coordinators in the NFL have intricate complex systems that take years to master. But when you master it to such a high degree, it becomes extremely effective.

Al Saunders has a fabled 700 page playbook.

Mike Martz has won a Super Bowl with his offense. Shaun Hill has done absolutely nothing in this league yet. The benefit of the doubt in this situation should clearly go to the guy with more experience.

JT O'Sullivan won the QB job last summer because he had the best grasp of Martz's offensive system. Duh...everybody knows that.

Saying that, why did Hill play better with the same OC?

Because Martz obviously simplified his playbook for Hill midway through the season at Singletary's request.

Then wouldn't that insinuate that Martz's playbook was a little on the crazy side? The issue with Martz is, everything has to be his way or no way.

A lot of offensive coordinators in the NFL have intricate complex systems that take years to master. But when you master it to such a high degree, it becomes extremely effective.

Al Saunders has a fabled 700 page playbook.

Mike Martz has won a Super Bowl with his offense. Shaun Hill has done absolutely nothing in this league yet. The benefit of the doubt in this situation should clearly go to the guy with more experience.

yes but Martz should have realized we didn't exactly have the talent to run his high risk offense. Hence the reason the big flop and the reason why he got the boot
  • Mex49
Martz made me look bad
Martz likes Q.B's with fairly strong arms who can make all the throws.

I think Hill's rainbow floaters made Martz think Hill had a tired arm.
Does sound like sour grapes, but even more important...why the hell even talk about it? Just makes Hill look bad and everyone already knows what a jackass egomaniac Martz is.

Do you think Mike Martz sat in his office and said, "you know what I'm gonna orchestrate this entire quarterback so that JT O'Sullivan wins it because I don't like Shaun Hill and Alex Smith" GTFO That's BS

He had a complicated system. JT O'Sullivan had the best grasp of it. JT O'Sullivan started. Then JT O'Sullivan turned the ball over too much and got benched. Shaun Hill got the starting gig. Mike Martz threw out half of his playbook to dumb it down for Hill and Hill had success.

It's just all sour grapes on Hill's part.

Agreed. But i do think that Hill does have a point.

What did bother me though was that the reps were not at all shared evenly. That and the fact that Hill was forced to the scout team because of a "tried arm".

-9fA
I don't understand why everyone is upset with Hill. The reporter asked him questions and he answered them. The truth hurts sometimes.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
FAP!
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by genus49:
Anyone with a brain could tell that QB competition was BS. I said it last year that JTO had no business being in that competition and the fact that he suddenly came out of nowhere was a friggin joke.

Funny how many people jumped on his bandwagon only to come crashing off of it when he couldn't hide his knack for turnovers.

That's why I'm in love with Sing. [b][b]The guy is a straight shooter[/b][/b] and if he says there is competition and both guys are on equal footing the players know it's legit.

My only concern with Sing and Raye is that they don't get all Mooch like late in the 4th quarter if we have the lead in close games. I want us to be a pound the ball and move the chains team but sometimes you can't just run 3 straight downs into consistent 3 and outs and give the other team a chance.

That game against Chicago where we gave up 15 points in like 2 minutes and lost in OT still haunts me. Perfect example of why you play to win....not to not lose.

He is huh. Then why name the QB now. Why not wait til AFTER the 3rd game. Which was what Sing STATED back when we learned there was going to BE a competition.

There was no competition. It was a figment of his imagination.

I'm still behind Sing but man it is NOT looking too good at the moment.

~Ceadder

What the hell are you talking about? Sing never said when the decision would be made. The competition was very fair and they switched up every practice unlike last year when it was very obvious when JTO was HANDED the job and Nolan kept telling us not to read anything into the fact that JTO was getting every first string practice while Smith got 2nd and Hill hardly practiced.

Ummmm I believe that you should go back and look it up. It was the THIRD game and has ALWAYS been the THIRD game. Ummm now this said, how many games have been played? It's been reported on just about EVERY network that covers the NFL that it was the third game because the fourth game is traditionally used for the scrubs to make an impact on the coaching staff and for the other staffs of the league if they don't make it with the one they went through Camp with.

And fair? Mmmmm let's look at this. 2 snaps for passes in game one for Hill. 7 for Smith.

7 in game 2 for Hill and 9 for Smith. This is a QB battle not a RB battle. We already KNEW that we were going to Run the ball. Where was the QB battle again?

I got the stats from the 2nd article on Zone home page just to cite my source.

I didn't personally keep track of it but from everything I saw there was NO competition.

~Ceadder

I'm not going to look back for something I remember changing around. When it was first starting they all claimed they would like to decide as soon as possible but said it may go as long as after the 3rd game.

You're transfixed on some recent statements that were made. If they didn't need 3 games to make the decision it doesn't change the fact that there was a valid competition.

Were they on equal footing going into it? No. And everybody knew that. Listen I wanted Alex to win more than anything but he didn't pull away like I expected. Hill who was never a very good practice player suddenly started practicing well and in the games neither guy really stood out.

Despite the numbers in the last game Alex outplayed Hill and looked really good but it wasn't good enough.

Oh and are we forgetting the fact that Alex could NOT play against Dallas anyway?

The coaches and players alike said the sooner a starting QB is named the better it will be for a team. So why drag it out longer?

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill man. Alex got his shot and unfortunately he couldn't go through with it.
Share 49ersWebzone