There are 239 users in the forums

Jim Brown coming to speak with 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Yetiman:
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2009/08/25/49ers-camp-update-glen-coffee-meet-jim-brown/

While I have high regard for Joe and Steve and Jerry, the greatest football player of our era (I never saw Jim Thorpe) is Jim Brown.

His rushing records speak for themselves. Check him out on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6cCXNBeVfc&feature=fvst

He was the best I ever saw.

Well, after having watched those highlights, I have to say, I'm NEVER listening to any old pompus fool who talks about form tackling and that younger players these days don't do it. That highlight film was a display of the worst tackling in the world. These guys were crossing their forearms trying to knock him down from the side and some barely made contact.

Hey old farts, tackling is actually better NOW.

Also, Jim Brown looked like he was playing against Pop Warner players. I still must give props to him because even the monster player at the park who was 2 years older than everyone couldn't do some of that stuff.

However, I want to say Barry is the best RB ever, but I still wonder how Bo Jackson would have done if he was 100% committed to the NFL and never got hurt. Adrian Peterson may have a chance but defenses are just to big and fast these days.

I don't know if that's the case regarding Jackson. He may well have been but I doubt it. Remember he did have that freak break that didn't heal well( essentially what Hearst went through afterward) and there have been plenty of two sport guys that didn't suffer from playing 2 sports. Deion being one of them. Honestly I think that BJ was roiding. Remember how he would break his bat over his knee when he whiffed on strikeouts? That was just not a normal action by any serious Baseball slugger that I can recall before OR since. And what I think caused him to have that freak accident with Bosworth who is a known user as well.

~Ceadder

He could have been roiding since he was in baseball...wait so was that freak athlete Deon.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2009/08/25/49ers-camp-update-glen-coffee-meet-jim-brown/

While I have high regard for Joe and Steve and Jerry, the greatest football player of our era (I never saw Jim Thorpe) is Jim Brown.

His rushing records speak for themselves. Check him out on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6cCXNBeVfc&feature=fvst

Well, after having watched those highlights, I have to say, I'm NEVER listening to any old pompus fool who talks about form tackling and that younger players these days don't do it. That highlight film was a display of the worst tackling in the world. These guys were crossing their forearms trying to knock him down from the side and some barely made contact.

Also, Jim Brown looked like he was playing against Pop Warner players. I still must give props to him because even the monster player at the park who was 2 years older than everyone couldn't do some of that stuff.

However, I want to say Barry is the best RB ever, but I still wonder how Bo Jackson would have done if he was 100% committed to the NFL and never got hurt. Adrian Peterson may have a chance but defenses are just to big and fast these days.

True, Bo would've possibly been the greatest football player ever.

i liked Bo, Barry Sanders and Terrel Davis as my favorite RB's

No disrespect to old people. Then I think...I'm 32.

Age is mind over matter. If you don't mind it don't matter. I'm 40 btw so you ain't old if I ain't.

~Ceadder
Jim Brown was a terrible speaker during the early days of UFC, too.

I don't know if that's the case regarding Jackson. He may well have been but I doubt it. Remember he did have that freak break that didn't heal well( essentially what Hearst went through afterward) and there have been plenty of two sport guys that didn't suffer from playing 2 sports. Deion being one of them. Honestly I think that BJ was roiding. Remember how he would break his bat over his knee when he whiffed on strikeouts? That was just not a normal action by any serious Baseball slugger that I can recall before OR since. And what I think caused him to have that freak accident with Bosworth who is a known user as well.

~Ceadder

He could have been roiding since he was in baseball...wait so was that freak athlete Deon.

Mmmm hmmmm yup. Remember the '94 Atlanta Falcons v. 9ers game where Deion just about beat up Rison on the field. It was Rison if I remember correctly.

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

Mmmm hmmmm yup. Remember the '94 Atlanta Falcons v. 9ers game where Deion just about beat up Rison on the field. It was Rison if I remember correctly.

~Ceadder

I dont think Deion was a roid user. he was super quick and had great instincts, he wasnt really that big. i remember steve young knocking him up in the air when we played dallas once hahaha. thats the lasting memory i have of deion, 4 feet in the air lol

wow! your on crack! Bo jackson was good, but not that good. not once did he ever rush over a 1,00 yards in a season. oh and guess what? he never had more than 6 td's in a year. so easy there johnny cakes

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

That was Rison. One of my favorite all time Niner moments.

I think it's stupid to believe Bo wasn't roiding. Deion, maybe a bit but I doubt. He was all about training for speed not power.
Originally posted by Black59Razor:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Jim Brown is weak. He got his ass whooped by the Guvnor in Running Man.

FIREBALL!!!
Walter Payton >>>>> Any NFL RB

Originally posted by TEXAS49ER69:
Originally posted by Black59Razor:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Jim Brown is weak. He got his ass whooped by the Guvnor in Running Man.

FIREBALL!!!

Nah but he redeemed himself by whooping up on Dru Down in

And speaking of Dru Down
as others have said, as much admiration i have for jim brown as a player and also a man.

he was simply a case of being way ahead of his time, he would have been good today, but more because of his drive to succeed, something only a few rare breed type of players today have. on pure talent a lot of today's top notch running backs would have made those early defenders look absolutely silly..

personally id love to just watch 1950 defenders try to catch chris johnson considering he can make today's 4.3 and 4.4 speed athletes look slow as balls..

also, gale sayers highlights impress me quite a bit more, and had he been able to finish out a full career..i think he would have been regarded as best of all time, next to jerry of course
I would have to pick Walter Payton, Barry Sanders and Gayle Sayers these 3 would be the best be it the 50’s or the 00’s. Just amazing players.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Good to see Jim Brown talking to our guys. He was great!

what did he say????
Share 49ersWebzone