LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

Is Spurlock the the burner we have been waiting for?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Spurlock seems to have great speed and has had a great camp since being brought in. Do you think he can be one of our starting WR's?

Morgan
Bruce
Spurlock

Let me know what you think.
NO
Originally posted by valrod33:
NO
Are you serious? Hell no. What has Spurlock done in this preseason, or his career, to show he should be a starting receiver? Did he even have a catch against the Raiders? This is a joke.
Spurlock's primary value is as a ST return man. He was brought in as injury insurance for 2 players: Rossum and Battle. Rossum is the primary return man for both KR and PR. Battle is arguably the 2nd best PR on the team. It would appear that the club currently views Spurlock as an upgrade over Battle as a PR man, who could also be a primary KR man. Remember that Singletary values ST's more than most fans, and ST contributions decide the last few roster spots.

I don't see all 3 of these players making the Final 53. I expect only 2 of these 3 to make the Final 53. Which 2? Hard to call. Lots of factors. Something to remember: Spurlock is young, cheap, and has no real injury history. Battle has been very fragile in recent years. Rossum has also been fragile to some degree.

Best guess is that with Jones hurt and Crabtree unsigned, Battle's value as a WR has increased and gaurantees him a roster spot. Battle can remain as the back-up PR man, as a bonus.

Rossum is a more explosive ST returner than Spurlock, and Rossum has been getting increased reps as a DB, to extract more value from him. Unless Spurlock pushes Rossum as a return man (which I don't believe has happened yet) and/or dollars rule the day, Rossum keeps his job as the primary KR and PR guy and Spurlock is the odd man out.

But any injury to Battle OR Rossum over the next 2 exhibitions, and Spurlock becomes a "lock" to make the Final 53.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Spurlock won't even make the team let alone start.
Wow this is new. I kind of have to congratulate you on this. Usually, a player has one good game before people go crazy and start calling said player our messiah and such, but Spurlock, well, he hasn't much. So yeah ...
no. come on! what's next: is crabtree the next wr of the future?
Suggestion FAIL
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Suggestion FAIL

Originally posted by wailers15:
no. come on! what's next: is crabtree the next wr of the future?

I thought we drafted him for dat reason.

NO... but Sheets may be.

Originally posted by jmoore71:
Spurlock seems to have great speed and has had a great camp since being brought in. Do you think he can be one of our starting WR's?

Morgan
Bruce
Spurlock

Let me know what you think.

don't listen to these idiots! spurlock has a great chance of being the 4th or 5th guy at wide out! he has great speed and potential and is prolly our 2nd person at kick returns behind allen rossum. people are afraid of him stepping in cause he hasn't had his name called. i dunno why people are afraid of letting the kid play. he's even running the wildcat aka tazer in practice! ohhhh and btw zoners! he's prolly the fastest guy on our team. DON'T COUNT THIS GUY OUT ESPECIALLY CAUSE STUPID CRABTREE HASN'T SIGNED! ALL YOU GUYS HAVE CRABTREE PROJECTED TO BE A STARTER WHEN HE HASN'T PLAYED AND THIS GUY HAS... SO SHUT UP AND THIS THREAD IS VERY VALID!
  • B650
  • Veteran
Crabtree
Morgan
Hill
Jones
Spurlock
Ziegler
Originally posted by B650:
Crabtree
Morgan
Hill
Jones
Spurlock
Ziegler

Uh, boy, here we go again. How is Battle not on this list?
Unreal. Just unreal.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Aug 24, 2009 at 1:20 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone