There are 224 users in the forums

I say we try nate davis with first team offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online

I say we try nate davis with first team offense

Originally posted by fzrdave:
Yeah, let's start him next week and every week thereafter - madness, udder madness. Now of course if the 9ers had a JV team, then it would make sense, until then, udder and complete madness.

absolute, udder madness.
Nate may turn out to be a good QB, in time. So I say, start your QB out the right way....by NOT starting him right away. To answer the original question...NO.
It takes away a lot. You lose evaluation time in the real competition, you screw up his confidence,, you screw the starting offense out of time they could be spending getting in sync with the guy who will be playing, you screw Smith and Hill out of time they could use to make an impression.

What it would do though is end people starting threads about how great Nate is.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:
Originally posted by linkboy:
That was the biggest mistake we made with Smith, why repeat it.

Let Davis be the 3rd string QB and learn the game at his pace.

Starting Davis in preseason week 4--after the Smith/Hill competition is over--wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

But yeah, no regular season action because that would be repeating the mistake that was made with Smith.

The only mistake made with Smith was playing him when he was hurt with a broken shoulder(never mind he said he was good to go) - 2 years AFTER he started his first game. He is still the only 49er QB to take every single snap during a season. How the hell is that a bad thing for a young QB in the learning proccess?
i know he play'd with the second and third team players, but i rather give it a shot than wonder what could have been....it wont hurt anyone but us if he could do a better job than our 2 other guys
Originally posted by eddy99_1999:
I'm watching the game and I like his pocket presence ,arm , and decision making. what do we have to lose

what do we have to lose?

ok, follow me on this. game 3 of the preseason is by far the most important of all the preseason games. Its the "dress rehearsal" for teams before the season. This will be the most extensive time our starters will see in this exhibition season, and the best chance for them to get a real rhythm and feel for the game before the season stars.

Now with that said, we don't have a starting quarterback! What do we have to lose? How about our best chance to determine a winner in the quarterback competition that has been going on all offseason. There is not one reason we should spend even a down on Nate Davis playing with the first unit. Nate Davis is not ready to play football in the NFL. That is not up for debate. To waste time now on him would be an absolute disaster. It sends the message that we don't care about this season, because there is next to no chance that Nate Davis is going to be in a position to help on the football field this season. And if he is, then we are already screwed as is and him getting a couple of reps with the first team now won't change that.

Patience is a virtue, remember that. Be patient with Nate and do not get blinded by his future potential when our true worries should lie with our present situation.
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mex49:

Starting Davis in preseason week 4--after the Smith/Hill competition is over--wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

But yeah, no regular season action because that would be repeating the mistake that was made with Smith.

The only mistake made with Smith was playing him when he was hurt with a broken shoulder(never mind he said he was good to go) - 2 years AFTER he started his first game. He is still the only 49er QB to take every single snap during a season. How the hell is that a bad thing for a young QB in the learning proccess?

You're referring to Smith's second season. Did you see his first season? The 21 year old who played in a spread offense in college started for what was basically an expansion team in the pros.

But at least he gained experience, right?

Nope. That rookie "learning process" was all for NOTHING as he had to learn a different system next year anyway.

Furthermore, Bill Walsh and Bill Parcells always avoided playing rookie quarterbacks whenever possible. They did so in order to develop the quarterback. Walsh took his time with Joe Montana and Steve Young, while Parcells explicitly stated that he doesn't put in young quarterbacks because they will be "ruined."

So for Nate Davis, there's no need to start him in the regular season when we have at least two guys ahead of him who could manage the offense well. (If you don't believe in Smith, fine: Huard's track record shows he would do a solid job as well.) So if you have an option to keep Davis on the bench this season to learn while veterans manage the team--and we do--then keep Davis on the bench!

Lastly, I said start Davis in preseason week 4; if we don't start him in the regular season, we will still need information on him in order to know our QB situation for 2010. One good half against second/third stringers in preseason (the Raiders game) does not by any stretch of the imagination mean he is ready to start the season.

PS: As for Smith's shoulder injury, tough players like Smith will always say they're good to go. But the fact is the team doctors shouldn't have cleared him to play in the first place.
[ Edited by Crazy4Niners on Aug 24, 2009 at 1:22 AM ]
IMO most of the organization, and most people that voted no in this thread are in complete denial of how bad our Qb's are. I mean either that, or they just cant do anything about it and have to use the dogsh*t we have at the helm.

Why not give Davis a shot???

Just because he played with third stringers, doesnt mean when he gets in with the 1st ones his arm strength is gonna noodle up like shaun, or he is gonna hold the ball and roll right to throw it away like Smith..I dont understand everyone's argument "oh its against THIRD STRINGERS"...ITS NOT LIKE SHAUN HILL OR ALEX SMITH WOULD GO IN VS THIRD STRINGERS AND TEAR IT UP, THEY'RE TERRIBLE, NOT STARTING MATERIAL, NOT GOOD, AKA NO PLAYOFFS.

Obviously he is too young and green to be starting, it has nothing to do with our joke of a 'qb competition'. Im sorry i dont mean to be a douche i just cant stand the fact that the niners org thinks they can find their QB between these two.

btw i think huard is prob the best chance we have.
[ Edited by DynastyChile on Aug 24, 2009 at 1:18 AM ]

This would be good. In fact start Davis and let Huard come in too; intriguing.
  • Menehune49
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by global_nomad:
The Patriots developed Tom Brady for a year, I say we can do the same with Nate Davis.

yea but Brady doesn't have a learning disability (Dyslexia).
SO NO!!!!!....stop the madness......JUST TRUST IN SING!!!!
GO NINERS!!!!!!!

Over reaction much lol start Nate Davis after his beautiful drive against a backup Raiders Defense! Although you can't really fight against that being that our other two quarterbacks didn't really look like quarterbacks the other night but no I would never start Davis...NO!
It would be fun to see if nothing else.
Originally posted by Thizz415:
He's not ready and wont be ready for another year or two so stop making threads like this and this goes out to everyone. It's just ONE pre season game against scrubs.

+1
He very easily may be the best QB on our roster.

But that isn't saying much. Even if he turns out to be an option as the long term answer, let's not make the same mistake twice and get him killed before he has a chance to develop.

I like the idea in the sense that it admits how weak our QB situation really is, and that he may, in fact, be more of an answer than Hill or Smith, but we will kill any chance he has of developing if we throw him into the fire now.
Originally posted by Menehune49:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
The Patriots developed Tom Brady for a year, I say we can do the same with Nate Davis.

yea but Brady doesn't have a learning disability (Dyslexia).
SO NO!!!!!....stop the madness......JUST TRUST IN SING!!!!
GO NINERS!!!!!!!

My point was if this guy thinks Nate Davis will be great, it is still ok to sit him out a year.
Share 49ersWebzone