There are 288 users in the forums

Running When the "D" Knows You're Running

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by NJNiner:
Speaking of running, I am surprised no one has started a Glen Coffee thread yet. The guy was tearing it up last night big time. I was really impressed.

Clayton was doing the same last year, until he proves he can do it in a real game...it would be a bit premature to start one. IMO he will be nasty this year, I wasn't high on the pick at first but I have grown to like it!!

Yea, I see what you are saying, but I don't remember Clayton ever having a game like Coffee did last night.
Speaking of running, I am surprised no one has started a Glen Coffee thread yet. The guy was tearing it up last night big time. I was really impressed.

Clayton was doing the same last year, until he proves he can do it in a real game...it would be a bit premature to start one. IMO he will be nasty this year, I wasn't high on the pick at first but I have grown to like it!!

Yea, I see what you are saying, but I don't remember Clayton ever having a game like Coffee did last night.

Not to take anything away from the kid bit it was the Raiders, and every dog has his day. If he gets a few series with the Cowboys starters and tears them up, then I am 85% sold. With Rathman teaching, Gore mentoring, and Sing praising he should develop quickly and correctly. If he doesn't start out as the teams #2, I would imagine him taking it after the bye week.
Call it F-hysical or whatever you like, but this is the definition of imposing your will on the other team.

Not to take anything away from the kid bit it was the Raiders, and every dog has his day. If he gets a few series with the Cowboys starters and tears them up, then I am 85% sold. With Rathman teaching, Gore mentoring, and Sing praising he should develop quickly and correctly. If he doesn't start out as the teams #2, I would imagine him taking it after the bye week.

C'mon, jreff. Give the kid a little credit. He has played both weeks against NFL #1 defenses, not 2nd or 3rd stringers like Clayton always did. Granted they are two of the worst run defenses in the NFL, but they were still the #1 defenses. He has also done well in pass protection which is surprising for a rookie. He IS the #2 back right now without a doubt.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

C'mon, jreff. Give the kid a little credit. He has played both weeks against NFL #1 defenses, not 2nd or 3rd stringers like Clayton always did. Granted they are two of the worst run defenses in the NFL, but they were still the #1 defenses. He has also done well in pass protection which is surprising for a rookie. He IS the #2 back right now without a doubt.

next week will be a tough one
Originally posted by showtime49:
Call it F-hysical or whatever you like, but this is the definition of imposing your will on the other team.

Word. let;s keep it going into the regular season.
Coffee has done it the past two weeks against the 1st defense. Granted it is the Broncos and the Raiders, but from week to week he has improved his ability to see
and hit the running lanes.

If the offensive line blocks like this for Gore and Coffee it could put some serious wearing out on opposing defenses.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

I think very highly of him but I need to see him perform against elite players and succeed. Like I said Dallas will be a b***h for us and if he can come out with good yardage, I will be 85% sold. Remember we aren't playing Willis so other teams RB's are gaining more yardage then they should, that argument can be made against him as well....full starting D's aren't being played now. I expect him to do very well which will give Gore weaker D's to run against due to the constant pounding. Remember we have Minnesota, Tennessee, Chicago. Philadelphia, and Jacksonville on the schedule this year...those are some of the best in the business if he wants to sell me he needs to perform well against them.
COFFEE PRIDE
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:
COFFEE PRIDE

If we can run like that during the season and play good D then playoffs here we come....

Thomas Clayton would probably do well if given the opportunity to run the ball in a real game. That's not his problem. His problem is he sucked in pass protection so he never saw the field. Coffee is already good in pass protection and will obviously see some snaps during the regular season.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Thomas Clayton would probably do well if given the opportunity to run the ball in a real game. That's not his problem. His problem is he sucked in pass protection so he never saw the field. Coffee is already good in pass protection and will obviously see some snaps during the regular season.

Rathman'ss tutelage is whats helping Coffee, if Clayton had the same guidance the past few years who knows how he may of changed.

Rathman'ss tutelage is whats helping Coffee, if Clayton had the same guidance the past few years who knows how he may of changed.

I can agree with that, but my point was that I think Clayton would be successful running the football in the regular season if they gave him a shot.. You said Clayton did well in preseason and implied it didn't translate into the regular season.. All I'm saying is I think he would have done fine running the ball but he was never given a shot because of his inability to block.

I can agree with that, but my point was that I think Clayton would be successful running the football in the regular season if they gave him a shot.. You said Clayton did well in preseason and implied it didn't translate into the regular season.. All I'm saying is I think he would have done fine running the ball but he was never given a shot because of his inability to block.

I can agree with that.
Share 49ersWebzone