LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

Is the Michael Robinson experiment officially over?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 49forLyfe
  • Info N/A
Personally i do not see what the team see in him. True he's a special teamer & yeah he can do some wild cat things. But that"s it... Im pretty sure we have a bunch of guys that can play special teams.... hell who cant. And on the "taser" note he is not the only gut that can run it (spurlock & battle) also were qb's. I just do not see why we would keep him as a RB just to play special teams. We can use his spot for one of the loaded WR's group we have or keep that guy that had them 2 scores last night #47. But i just think we are fine at RB with Gore the core & coffee & sheets his spell. And some one .... Hell anyone one can fill his shoes on Sp.Tm. Help me out zone MRob Duce4........ In or Out
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I agree with you, I dont think we can keep players solely for special teams purposes. A RB has to be a RB if your gonna make the roster.
[ Edited by susweel on Aug 15, 2009 at 2:29 PM ]
Robinson is our special teams ace and he is a serviceable RB/FB that when called upon doesn't do bad. He should remain on the team.
Originally posted by susweel:
I agree with you, I dont think we can keep players solely for special teams purposes. A RB has to be a RB if your gonna make the roster.

i agree
No longer needed is right.
  • 49forLyfe
  • Info N/A
i mean its not like this guy makes every tackle out there heck is ulbrich in on every sp tm play so. Just for being a ace on sp tm is not going to cut it. We dont use him as a runer. Soooo wats the puprose. Come on who cant excell at being active on sp tm. All them back up Lb's (milkolp & brooks) & safties (Rsmith & roman) Alll are sure tacklers and would have no problem going hard on special teams. Hell they dont start so thats they best chance of getting on the feild. But all in all I think spurlock or zigeler deserve his spot
They should keep him because of his versatility.
Originally posted by BigBug415:
No longer needed is right.
He's needed. With Keasey out, we are down to Norris and a rookie FB who played LB last season.

Plus, special teams is never overrated.

He's not going anywhere.
Robinson is akin to a utility player in baseball. Out side of special teams, he doesn't excel at anything. The thing to remember though is that special teams is 1/3 of the game. Your special teams ace is very important and not replaced as easily as some would think. Outside of his special teams play he gives you a RB, FB, Slot Rec, and Wildcat/Taser QB in one player. Like I said, he's a utility player, that if used correctly can be a very valuable part of the team.

he plays great special teams and should play full back really. he's a keeper.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
He's needed. With Keasey out, we are down to Norris and a rookie FB who played LB last season.

He's not going anywhere.

I don't know Maddog if he is as needed as you say. True he is a good special teamer but he needs to add more value than that. He is not a true FB and the team would be better served to pickup a rookie FA fullback to take Keaseys spot rather than keep Robinson on the roster.

He's not going anywhere.

Agree with you. Special Teams is 1/3 of a football game that can win you and lose you a game. The guy is not hurting the team and only helping it. Sheets looks like a great find but we have gore and coffee now and he will not honestly get many if any carries at all.
I remember him landing two nasty pancake blocks leadin the way for Rossum's kick return TD against the cards last year. The man is a football player regardless of his amount of playing time with the starting offense, and with keasey and clayton out he's even more valuable.
Originally posted by E-49er:

He's not going anywhere.

I don't know Maddog if he is as needed as you say. True he is a good special teamer but he needs to add more value than that. He is not a true FB and the team would be better served to pickup a rookie FA fullback to take Keaseys spot rather than keep Robinson on the roster.

He picks up the blitz well when put in. He is a good receiver out of the backfield and can get some tough yards also.
Share 49ersWebzone