There are 175 users in the forums

Defensive Analysis thread (Preseason Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
i have a feeling that the defense was playing a very vanilla version of itself tonight. I hope so, because what we saw was adequate, but not inspiring. Getting the picks was good, but its hard to tell if that was us or Orton. The D-line didn't show very much, and it was very disappointing to see how much we gave up on the ground.

All in all though, the D made plays when it had to.

Our front seven plays the same every first preseason game. It just this time they ended with a pick.

Vanilla is key, never show too much to your first opponent of the season.

agreed. I'm not too worried. It would be nice to see that passrush right off the bat, but I'd rather they save it for the games that count.

I'm pretty excited by Reggie Smith's play, though. And Scott McKillop was a real workhorse in there. He's not too fast so he's got to work on his positioning, but he's around the ball a lot, and I think the future of this D is really, really bright.

Agreed on Reggie Smith. I've been high on the guy since we drafted him. If he continues to play like how he did tonight, that could make way for Taylor and spell the end for Roman.

I would also like to see Terrail Lambert make the team, he showed some flashes tonight too.

yeah, I noticed Lambert in a number of plays, Hudson too. Word-Daniels got a lot of talk during the game and he showed a thing or two but I think he's way way behind those other guys.

I think in general having R.Smith back at his natural position is going to open up whatever potential he has. He showed skills on the ball in centerfield and also in the run game. It would be nice to see a Goldson-Smith safety combo in the future.

to be fair, Roman was in on some plays, too. He's kind of an ideal nickel or dime back at his point. Real solid in coverage just not a playmaker. I think he's a valuable member of the team, and I'm actually pretty glad to have him back.

True a veteran presence. But look what happens when you let the younger guys play, you open up potential. I would like to see Lambert and Curtis Taylor make the team over Roman. I feel we have enough veteran presence in the secondary to help with the young guys.
The pass rush was reticent.

To be fair, Denver was doing some dink and dunk, while our secondary was playing off the line; (noobs; please don't blame our players for playing off the line).

Lawson doesn't look much different. The raw strength, power and burst just isn't good enough. He gets blocked clean and easy.

Brooks has the athletic ability to do it, but he's still raw at getting off blocks overall.

The play calling on defense was poor, but its hard to judge play calling in the preseason.

We've always had DB's, and we've had a good, under-appreciated secondary for several years now. Its never been the problem.

The problem is still pass rush. It doesn't just magically happen because you want it to. Its not a matter of will power.

Merriman and Ware are hugely muscled, powerful athletes. Lawson isn't built like them. He doesn't have their powerful short area burst.

We're not going to be a top 10 defense without a pass rush.

This is the one thing that could derail our season.

Good thing this is just one preseason game.
Did Balmer play tonight?

Yes and no...

Yes he played - No he wasn't the break-out player we're hoping he'll be. Time will tell.
i have a feeling that the defense was playing a very vanilla version of itself tonight. I hope so, because what we saw was adequate, but not inspiring. Getting the picks was good, but its hard to tell if that was us or Orton. The D-line didn't show very much, and it was very disappointing to see how much we gave up on the ground.

All in all though, the D made plays when it had to.

Our front seven plays the same every first preseason game. It just this time they ended with a pick.

Vanilla is key, never show too much to your first opponent of the season.

agreed. I'm not too worried. It would be nice to see that passrush right off the bat, but I'd rather they save it for the games that count.

I'm pretty excited by Reggie Smith's play, though. And Scott McKillop was a real workhorse in there. He's not too fast so he's got to work on his positioning, but he's around the ball a lot, and I think the future of this D is really, really bright.

Agreed on Reggie Smith. I've been high on the guy since we drafted him. If he continues to play like how he did tonight, that could make way for Taylor and spell the end for Roman.

I would also like to see Terrail Lambert make the team, he showed some flashes tonight too.

yeah, I noticed Lambert in a number of plays, Hudson too. Word-Daniels got a lot of talk during the game and he showed a thing or two but I think he's way way behind those other guys.

I think in general having R.Smith back at his natural position is going to open up whatever potential he has. He showed skills on the ball in centerfield and also in the run game. It would be nice to see a Goldson-Smith safety combo in the future.

to be fair, Roman was in on some plays, too. He's kind of an ideal nickel or dime back at his point. Real solid in coverage just not a playmaker. I think he's a valuable member of the team, and I'm actually pretty glad to have him back.

True a veteran presence. But look what happens when you let the younger guys play, you open up potential. I would like to see Lambert and Curtis Taylor make the team over Roman. I feel we have enough veteran presence in the secondary to help with the young guys.

that's a good point. but those guys can always be safely stored on the PS to keep Roman available in case of injury, or to use in various packages. Guys like Taylor and Lambert certainly have more potential at this point, but with that potential so far down the road from being realized, I would rather keep a nice mix of vets and youth in the secondary, and Roman is one of two veteran safeties on our roster right now. I think he's got to stay.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Did Balmer play tonight?

Yes and no...

Yes he played - No he wasn't the break-out player we're hoping he'll be. Time will tell.

He did worse than last year. He didn't field any short kickoffs.....
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
seriously though how long is f**king haralson going to be out? seems like its taking forever for him to get back onto the field

Wow really that bad? Did anybody even get any hurries, b/c I'm guessing sacks are out of the question. I think our passrush will be more effective w/ Haralson, imo our best passrusher right now and Willis getting attention probably every play. And who looked best at nt out of Franklin and Sopoaga? GO DRY BLY!! I hope he is our 2 at cb
Man our pass rush blows.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Did Balmer play tonight?

Yes and no...

Hahaha..that's right.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Mitchell looked pretty good at NT. He is huge for only being 320ish. I liked him before the draft, I hope the team finds a way to keep him on the PS.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Did Balmer play tonight?

Yes and no...

well, I guess Spurlock and Rossum are still safe then...

• 49ersNorcal
  • Info N/A
Scott McKillop and Patrick Willis are a beastly tag team at the Middle Lineback spot. (Takeo Spikes can't play forever)

Wait...could it be? A Reggie Smith sighting? Good work.

Why is Mark Roman still on the roster? or in the NFL?
Defense: I'm glad it's just preseason and Willis wasn't playing. I think the game stats might make the 49ers defense look better then it actually played. The niner defense never touched the Denver qbs. The passrush looked as bad as ever if not worse. Denver seemed to move the ball with ease (several times Denver receivers were open by a mile) but then their qb would kill a drive by throwing a horrendous pass. Again, I realize its still very early and it's just preseason but I'm concerned about our D-line and our ability to rush the passer.
Originally posted by Thizz415:
-Need better play from our pass rushers.
-Less cushion on WR's
-More aggressive
-Need Patrick Willis
-Less Roman and more Goldson and Smith.

EXACTLY.
The D line in a 3-4 is not gonna get a lot of sacks guys.Whether you are playing a 4-3 or a 3-4,there are gonna be four guys rushing the passer...at least.Also,it looked to me like the guys were kinda taking it easy.
Whether it's the D-line or the nonexistent pass rushers, we couldn't do much on defense. I don't think that we ever forced a punt?

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone