LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 450 users in the forums

Defensive Analysis thread (Preseason Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by FederalAgent49:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
No Willis,no Haralson...we were playing without the full deck.

#98 was out there with the 1st unit! so im even more disappointed with the lack of pressure on the QB

A couple of our picks came from outside pressure. Look again at the tape.

what haralson wasnt playing?
I doubt we are going to see a lot of blitez in the preseason. But we will see allot this season. We don't want to show too much of what we are going to throw at teams. Plus those picks did come from outside pressure. Spurts baby! Spurts!
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by FederalAgent49:
No Willis,no Haralson...we were playing without the full deck.

#98 was out there with the 1st unit! so im even more disappointed with the lack of pressure on the QB

A couple of our picks came from outside pressure. Look again at the tape.

True! Brooks on the 2nd pick.

Also, we DID blitz a lot with the corners but almost all were against runs. I saw inside stunts too with the interior d-linemen...no result. Our NT's & DE all look exactly the same too. Way too many runs up inside and esp. off right tackle.
wait a minute! haralson suited up?
Originally posted by teeohh:

Did anyone notice how Nolan was discussing a play with Josh McDaniel's? Maybe McDaniel's was wondering what all the strange defensive substitutions were about.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by King49er:
terrible pass rush

I think it also has to do with scheme. We weren't really showing the Broncos any stunts or blitz packages, we were pretty much playing them straight up.

I agree, but you'd think SOMEBODY in the front 7 could get some pressure playing "straight up".

What I saw tonight from the front 7 was HORRIBLE. I know it was just the first preseason game, but it's painfully obvious that we have ZERO pass rush.

Actually, to throw more excuses in there for the defense (), the Broncos also threw a lot of quick passes and ran the ball a lot too. (re-watching the game right now)
Link
[ Edited by Kolohe on Aug 14, 2009 at 11:02 PM ]
Originally posted by Dajanksta:

I never saw him out there,but I was watching on my comp with a small screen.If he played he got no official stats.
i have a feeling that the defense was playing a very vanilla version of itself tonight. I hope so, because what we saw was adequate, but not inspiring. Getting the picks was good, but its hard to tell if that was us or Orton. The D-line didn't show very much, and it was very disappointing to see how much we gave up on the ground.

All in all though, the D made plays when it had to.

I never saw him out there,but I was watching on my comp with a small screen.If he played he got no official stats.

oh b/c i didnt see him listed as ppl that didnt suit up b/c of injuries... weird.
how long is he going to be out
  • mod
  • Veteran

oh b/c i didnt see him listed as ppl that didnt suit up b/c of injuries... weird.
how long is he going to be out

Yeah he played... got walled off consistently or just wasnt near the pass when the ball was thrown. I think played for about 2 or 3 series

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by HessianDud:
i have a feeling that the defense was playing a very vanilla version of itself tonight. I hope so, because what we saw was adequate, but not inspiring. Getting the picks was good, but its hard to tell if that was us or Orton. The D-line didn't show very much, and it was very disappointing to see how much we gave up on the ground.

Our front seven plays the same every first preseason game. It just this time they ended with a pick.

Vanilla is key, never show too much to your first opponent of the season.

Our front seven plays the same every first preseason game. It just this time they ended with a pick.

agreed. I'm not too worried. It would be nice to see that passrush right off the bat, but I'd rather they save it for the games that count.

I'm pretty excited by Reggie Smith's play, though. And Scott McKillop was a real workhorse in there. He's not too fast so he's got to work on his positioning, but he's around the ball a lot, and I think the future of this D is really, really bright.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

agreed. I'm not too worried. It would be nice to see that passrush right off the bat, but I'd rather they save it for the games that count.

I'm pretty excited by Reggie Smith's play, though. And Scott McKillop was a real workhorse in there. He's not too fast so he's got to work on his positioning, but he's around the ball a lot, and I think the future of this D is really, really bright.

Agreed on Reggie Smith. I've been high on the guy since we drafted him. If he continues to play like how he did tonight, that could make way for Taylor and spell the end for Roman.

I would also like to see Terrail Lambert make the team, he showed some flashes tonight too.

Agreed on Reggie Smith. I've been high on the guy since we drafted him. If he continues to play like how he did tonight, that could make way for Taylor and spell the end for Roman.

I would also like to see Terrail Lambert make the team, he showed some flashes tonight too.

yeah, I noticed Lambert in a number of plays, Hudson too. Word-Daniels got a lot of talk during the game and he showed a thing or two but I think he's way way behind those other guys.

I think in general having R.Smith back at his natural position is going to open up whatever potential he has. He showed skills on the ball in centerfield and also in the run game. It would be nice to see a Goldson-Smith safety combo in the future.

to be fair, Roman was in on some plays, too. He's kind of an ideal nickel or dime back at his point. Real solid in coverage just not a playmaker. I think he's a valuable member of the team, and I'm actually pretty glad to have him back.
Did Balmer play tonight?
Share 49ersWebzone