There are 224 users in the forums

Defensive Analysis thread (Preseason Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
No pass rush. Obviously...

Although that vanilla defense we were playing explains that... Which drives me a little nuts. Really, the pass rush needs the work. So WTF? 4 man rushes and soft coverage... Ugh!

Thank heavens for a couple poorly thrown balls by Orton that veteran DB's took advantage of.
Secondary was decent, although I can't stand the sight of Roman out there. Reggie Smith looks more comfortable at safety, hopefully he can continue to develop. I'm a bit disappointed that Terrel Brown didn"t play. Did anyone see Spencer in there???
I think Reggie Smith alone had more INTs in one game than both our starting safeties from all of last year.

Success!!!!!!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by JDeezy:
Secondary was decent, although I can't stand the sight of Roman out there. Reggie Smith looks more comfortable at safety, hopefully he can continue to develop. I'm a bit disappointed that Terrel Brown didn"t play. Did anyone see Spencer in there???

I agree, although Smith did have a blown a assignment when he was in Cover 2 that led to a big Brandon Lloyd gain.
I was real disappointed with the 49er pass rush tonight vs the Broncos.

I don't think a 49er defender ever got close to sacking the Denver QB's. They seemed to have all night to throw. Denver really moved the ball (ie. 341 yards gained)

Good thing Ortin made bad choices on 3 throws and the 49er db's were able to intercept (the 49ers also intercepted Sims once on the 2-point attempt).

The 49er db's kept Denver from winning the game.
To me, McKillop made the biggest impression. He was running around everywhere. I'm excited to see how he'll progress.

-9fA
No Willis,no Haralson...we were playing without the full deck.
Denver decided they would use our pass rush too, and left us nothing.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Way too much cushion for the CB's
Roman doesn't need to be here....R Smith you have my vote
Pass rush needs major improvement
Run D needs to clog faster and get to the ball
McKillop needs work but looks the part
Hudson should be on the final 53
Did we play it safe today.....I think so
We played good but improvement can be made with the current personnel

WE NEED TO STOP GIVING AWAY 3RD DOWNS!!

Yeah, this was our ode to Nolan...super vanilla defense, predictable, unimaginative, reactive, conservative and if not for the individual plays (INT's), we could have been down big time. The opposition racked up huge TOP and keeping drives alive. 3rd down defense was pathetic again and we continued to rely on the secondary to get any pressure on the QB (and we still couldn't). Again, short yardage defense is very weak.

Brooks looks explosive and for all the talk of him not having motivation, he hustled his ass off today and did a nice job of causing an INT, containing his edge and hustling down field to make tackles. He looks the part at OLB so far. Harris looked solid too.

Scott is Derek Smith 2.0. Enough said. That was Singletary's pick.

Lawson, once again, over ran a play that resulted in big yardage though he made a nice play recovering.

Defense overall looked very slow.

D-line was dominated including Smith and the rest of the starters. We severely lack a NT (again)...huge runs inside and off tackle.

And to add insult to injury, Nolan's defense looked aggressive. WTF? Haha.

Let's keep perspective - it's only pre-season but it sure does look identical to the defense we've run for years with the same exact problems d/t ignoring the NT, LDE & OLB positions (e.g. front 7).

I miss the hybrid LMAO
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 14, 2009 at 10:23 PM ]

Spencer was there. Didn't do anything worth mentioning.

Originally posted by adrenaline:

was Michael Lewis there?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Way too much cushion for the CB's
Roman doesn't need to be here....R Smith you have my vote
Pass rush needs major improvement
Run D needs to clog faster and get to the ball
McKillop needs work but looks the part
Hudson should be on the final 53
Did we play it safe today.....I think so
We played good but improvement can be made with the current personnel

WE NEED TO STOP GIVING AWAY 3RD DOWNS!!

Yeah, this was our ode to Nolan...super vanilla defense, predictable, unimaginative, reactive, conservative and if not for the individual plays (INT's), we could have been down big time. The opposition racked up huge TOP and keeping drives alive. 3rd down defense was pathetic again and we continued to rely on the secondary to get any pressure on the QB (and we still couldn't). Again, short yardage defense is very weak.

Brooks looks explosive and for all the talk of him not having motivation, he hustled his ass off today and did a nice job of causing an INT, containing his edge and hustling down field to make tackles. He looks the part at OLB so far. Harris looked solid too.

Scott is Derek Smith 2.0. Enough said. That was Singletary's pick.

Lawson, once again, over ran a play that resulted in big yardage though he made a nice play recovering.

Defense overall looked very slow.

D-line was dominated including Smith and the rest of the starters. We severely lack a NT (again)...huge runs inside and off tackle.

And to add insult to injury, Nolan's defense looked aggressive. WTF? Haha.

Let's keep perspective - it's only pre-season but it sure does look identical to the defense we've run for years with the same exact problems d/t ignoring the NT, LDE & OLB positions (e.g. front 7).

I miss the hybrid LMAO

Franklin needs to be pulled for game 2 and Balmer needs to play the whole first half at NT. If nothing impressive happens you can chalk up one of those first rounders to a NT!!
yea i have faith that the starters can put a lil pressure on the qb, if not then we know what to do with one of our 2 1st round picks next year
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by adrenaline:

was Michael Lewis there?

i wanna see parys come back and blitz!!
In fairness to the players, the lack of pass rush falls on the coaching staff. We played a vanilla defense, with four man rushes and soft coverage all night.

It's not uncommon in a preseason game, especially the first one. However, this team needs the work so I was a little surprised...
Share 49ersWebzone