LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 155 users in the forums

Offensive Analysis thread (Preseason Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • KasparHauser
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by aacadena:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by Reckless:
The 3 sacks we bad. One Hill should have thrown. They all were questionable if it was line or holding on to long. But I think Hill deserves the starting job. Smith is frustratingly all over the place. Good pass, bad pass, bad pass, good pass. Enough with this bust. HILL!

Morgan and Davis look ready to go. Its going to be crazy to see who the WR will be this year. Very good position as a team and fans.

Coffee and Sheets. Wow :)

I couldn't agree more, Smith is just way to inconsistent for me. Hill just has way more confidence out there.

5 of 7 is inconsistent for you? how bout that play to Morgan in front of Bailey. Argue all you want for Hill but He did not go for Bailey's side of the field.

Hill had one series, Smith had 4.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by KasparHauser:
Hill won tonight 100%. I cannot believe that people think there was no separation. Hill had 1 chance, was 2/2 for 41 yards, and got 3 points. Smith had 4 chances, and only scored when he was given the ball at the 11 yard line.

Kory Sheet looked awesome. He looked better than Coffee in my opinion. Kory averaged 5.1 yards with the 3rd string line blocking for him. By game 3 you all will see. Shaun Hill and Kory Sheets.

Dude Hill was staring down receivers tonight,he cannot do that or he will get hurt or throw the pick.If Smith was doing that you would have a cow.

True, no doubt. But Hill was given one chance and was 2/2. Smith was given 4 chances and only scored when he started on the 11 yard line. One chance versus four chances is not fair. In my opinion, Hill looked far, far, far superior. He did not have one single 3 and out. Alex Smith had three of them.

Im falling to see how superior is holding on to the ball for 6 seconds. Not superior. Drew Bress Superior. Shaun Hill just about even with a guy whose been outta football for two years. he was not 2/2 because he had 4 opportunities to throw the ball.

One chance and Hill scores and is 2/2.
Smith has 4, that is 4 chances. He scores once, when given the ball on the 11 yard line.

Hill never had a 3 and out series, Smith had 3 of them.

Be real man, why did the coaches pull Hill after one series? Because they know Hill is better. They hoped Alex would step up, which he didn't.

You're nuts if you think they were even. Anyone who knows an inkling of football can see that Hill is very far ahead of Smith in this competition. Hill looked exactly how he always has and how I expected and Smith looked exactly how he always has and how I expected. Hill made smart, quick decisions and used his head to make plays (outside of the one sack where he held on way too long). Smith still looks like a frightened turtle out there with happy feet who can't make the reads or the plays. Christ, his first play back in a game was a sack lol. No offense, but if you think Smith is even decent or has a shot at being the starter Week One, you're nuts. Hill may not dazzle but he gets the job done and is good enough for what we need from him.

As for Coffee, I agree with the M-Rob comparison, but it's way too early to tell. Coffee runs hard, but I wasn't impressed. He got yardage here and there and had a few nice plays, so that gives me hope. I think he can be a good back but he needs more time of course.

Overall, the team is right where I expected them to be offensively.

Hill did not look like he did last year,he was staring down his receivers all night.Hill made decent decisions,but they were by no means quick,hence the sack after holding the ball staring at the receiver for 6-7 seconds.I agree that Smith was not spectacular,but you guys are nuts if you actually believe that Hill was.There were sacks tonight for both QB's that were on the line though,they need to step it up and pick up the blitzes better.Coffee averaged 4.8 yards a carry,that is well above average,but you are right about one thing,it is too soon to tell.

Memphis, I know you dont favor anybody in this Comp but is it me or are Hill supprters just Alex Smith haters.
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
Smith didn't look that good in the game

but i guess he looked good in practice....

As Singletary once said "All form and function goes when there are live bullets"

Neither QB impressed me much honestly.Both have work to do before the season starts.Hill was staring down his receivers tonight unlike last year when getting rid of the ball quick was one of his strengths.The offensive line needs to give them both more time to throw in general.
Hill seemed to make quick decisions because he was going to Davis every time, when Davis was covered up he freaked out and ended up taking a sack and nearly turning the ball over.

Smith did spread the ball around more, and did a good job finding receivers past the first option and I didn't think he showed hesitance when he was throwing the ball at Champ Bailey.
  • mod
  • Veteran
The 3 sacks we bad. One Hill should have thrown. They all were questionable if it was line or holding on to long. But I think Hill deserves the starting job. Smith is frustratingly all over the place. Good pass, bad pass, bad pass, good pass. Enough with this bust. HILL!

Morgan and Davis look ready to go. Its going to be crazy to see who the WR will be this year. Very good position as a team and fans.

I couldn't agree more, Smith is just way to inconsistent for me. Hill just has way more confidence out there.

5 of 7 is inconsistent for you? how bout that play to Morgan in front of Bailey. Argue all you want for Hill but He did not go for Bailey's side of the field.

I've come to the conclusion these people just want Smith to fail. Smith had a solid game. So did Hill, which means the job remains in Hills hands.
Originally posted by teeohh:

my boy!

his eyes are not on the ball... ughhh

hahaha VD looked so good tonight i am pump to see him in full

Hill had one series, Smith had 4.

Could there be a reason for that? or did Singletary not want to see the guy whose been out of it for 2 seasons. MCFLY
i dont give a damn josh morgan will make any of our qbs look good!!

Originally posted by Dajanksta:
i dont give a damn josh morgan will make any of our qbs look good!!

i wish they had thrown it to him a couple more times!! he is gonna be a hoooggg
Originally posted by teeohh:

my boy!

I will be very disappointed if he does not have at least 80 receptions this season.

Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
miller will make the team, keasy will not

practice squad
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

What about the play that Smith missed Coffee on a easy screen pass? That's the inconsistency I'm talking about.
Originally posted by modninerfan:

I've come to the conclusion these people just want Smith to fail. Smith had a solid game. So did Hill, which means the job remains in Hills hands.

I like yo style Modninerfan. Not biased but truthful.

Memphis, I know you dont favor anybody in this Comp but is it me or are Hill supprters just Alex Smith haters.

lets just look at the facts....forget about who is a hater and what not.

here some of my other posts in the other threads about the game.

Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by Nes49:
huh.....I guess to battle continues.....

hill got 2 throws lol

And he showed more in those throws than Smith did in his three drives

That pass to Vernon on 3-13 was niiiiiice.....that is what Hill showed last year...the ability to convert 1st downs....be it 3rd and short or 3rd and long.....

Alex had a chance on one 3rd down play....it was 3rd and 7.....but for some reason he over threw a pass that went for 20 plus yards....he should have just tried to get the first down.....

Another thing I liked what Shaun did was on that one play where he quickly realized everyone was covered and saw an opening, and ran for like 10+ yards.....

I think on that 3rd and 7....if no one was open, I would have liked for Alex to tuck the ball in and run for the 1st down.

as well as the stats for the game....facts.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Shaun Hill
2/2 41 yards also had a 9 yard run for a 1st down.

Alex Smith
5/7 33 yards 1TD

Damon Huard
7/9 98 yards

So Hill had more yards than Alex even though he passed only 2 times....

I feel bad for Huard....he should be allowed to compete for the #2 job
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 14, 2009 at 10:45 PM ]
  • KasparHauser
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Hill won tonight 100%. I cannot believe that people think there was no separation. Hill had 1 chance, was 2/2 for 41 yards, and got 3 points. Smith had 4 chances, and only scored when he was given the ball at the 11 yard line.

Kory Sheet looked awesome. He looked better than Coffee in my opinion. Kory averaged 5.1 yards with the 3rd string line blocking for him. By game 3 you all will see. Shaun Hill and Kory Sheets.

Dude Hill was staring down receivers tonight,he cannot do that or he will get hurt or throw the pick.If Smith was doing that you would have a cow.

True, no doubt. But Hill was given one chance and was 2/2. Smith was given 4 chances and only scored when he started on the 11 yard line. One chance versus four chances is not fair. In my opinion, Hill looked far, far, far superior. He did not have one single 3 and out. Alex Smith had three of them.

Im falling to see how superior is holding on to the ball for 6 seconds. Not superior. Drew Bress Superior. Shaun Hill just about even with a guy whose been outta football for two years. he was not 2/2 because he had 4 opportunities to throw the ball.

One chance and Hill scores and is 2/2.
Smith has 4, that is 4 chances. He scores once, when given the ball on the 11 yard line.

Hill never had a 3 and out series, Smith had 3 of them.

Be real man, why did the coaches pull Hill after one series? Because they know Hill is better. They hoped Alex would step up, which he didn't.

You're nuts if you think they were even. Anyone who knows an inkling of football can see that Hill is very far ahead of Smith in this competition. Hill looked exactly how he always has and how I expected and Smith looked exactly how he always has and how I expected. Hill made smart, quick decisions and used his head to make plays (outside of the one sack where he held on way too long). Smith still looks like a frightened turtle out there with happy feet who can't make the reads or the plays. Christ, his first play back in a game was a sack lol. No offense, but if you think Smith is even decent or has a shot at being the starter Week One, you're nuts. Hill may not dazzle but he gets the job done and is good enough for what we need from him.

As for Coffee, I agree with the M-Rob comparison, but it's way too early to tell. Coffee runs hard, but I wasn't impressed. He got yardage here and there and had a few nice plays, so that gives me hope. I think he can be a good back but he needs more time of course.

Overall, the team is right where I expected them to be offensively.

Hill did not look like he did last year,he was staring down his receivers all night.Hill made decent decisions,but they were by no means quick,hence the sack after holding the ball staring at the receiver for 6-7 seconds.I agree that Smith was not spectacular,but you guys are nuts if you actually believe that Hill was.There were sacks tonight for both QB's that were on the line though,they need to step it up and pick up the blitzes better.Coffee averaged 4.8 yards a carry,that is well above average,but you are right about one thing,it is too soon to tell.

I've defended Smith for years. I know what's he's been through and have defended him on blogs 1000s of times. I want Smith to be the #1 Qb. I am just being realistic when I say that to me, it is very obvious, that Hill is the superior QB. I think Singletery knows this, and I think the team knows this.
Share 49ersWebzone