LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

**OFFICIAL SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS @ MINNESOTA VIKINGS GAMEDAY THREAD**

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The Twin Cities sports media is worried that the Vikings Run Defense isn't what it used to be:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_13389622

Adjusting for sacks, they were gouged for 145 rushing yards by the Lions of all teams. They gave up 115 rushing yards (sack-adjusted) to the Browns, who were also awful running the ball last year.

Talk of us having to air it out this week is overblown, IMHO.
Nice! Seems like a lot of people overlooked that stat
Originally posted by nickbradley:
The Twin Cities sports media is worried that the Vikings Run Defense isn't what it used to be:

Adjusting for sacks, they were gouged for 145 rushing yards by the Lions of all teams. They gave up 115 rushing yards (sack-adjusted) to the Browns, who were also awful running the ball last year.

As I said in other posts, they were away against the Lions and Browns. This is their home opener, not just another home game. They have been hearing all week about Gore and OL and they want to prove us wrong. Therefore, I expect them to be hot coming right out of the gate.

Still, I hear ya. As long we get the calls out correctly along the OL, we should do well. I really would like to see how they are going to contain Peterson and Jarred Allen especially Allen.

Go Staley!!
I'M PUMPED!!!

if we beat the vikings, it will rock the league.
Originally posted by jimbagg:
OK, i was a little off in my forecast last week (30-23 Niner win), but at least I predicted the winning team. Called for the Niners 30 points to include a D or ST score, and would have nailed that except for the penalty on Coffee that negated Rossum's TD.

This week, points will be hard to come by. I'm forecasting a 16-12 Niner win. Lots of FG's this week, for both teams. Somehow/someway, the Niners squeeze in a TD and that's the difference.

Playing indoors, I don't see more than 1 FG total being missed in this game.

Both defenses will tackle crisply, holding down long runs and YAC.

Farve's damaged nail on his throwing hand, WILL affect his passing accuracy.

Andy Lee (and obviously also Nedney) WILL be a major factor for SF.

This will be an ugly game to watch with little offensive consistency for either team. It will be a game of field position and, as always, turnovers will be key. If the Niners score early and play with the lead, then the home-opener crowd will not be so much of a factor. Biggest risk, as I see it is not Adrian Peterson or Favre, but Percy Harvin lighting-up the crowd with a scintillating KR. Harvin is averaging almost 30 yards per KR over 6 returns to date. Niners need good gunner play this Sunday.

Good points. Containing Harvin on the screens and not putting the ball on the ground will be key. Who will turn it over more, Gore and Hill or AP and Favre?
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
OK, i was a little off in my forecast last week (30-23 Niner win), but at least I predicted the winning team. Called for the Niners 30 points to include a D or ST score, and would have nailed that except for the penalty on Coffee that negated Rossum's TD.

This week, points will be hard to come by. I'm forecasting a 16-12 Niner win. Lots of FG's this week, for both teams. Somehow/someway, the Niners squeeze in a TD and that's the difference.

This will be an ugly game to watch with little offensive consistency for either team. It will be a game of field position and, as always, turnovers will be key. If the Niners score early and play with the lead, then the home-opener crowd will not be so much of a factor. Biggest risk, as I see it is not Adrian Peterson or Favre, but Percy Harvin lighting-up the crowd with a scintillating KR. Harvin is averaging almost 30 yards per KR over 6 returns to date. Niners need good gunner play this Sunday.

Good points. Containing Harvin on the screens and not putting the ball on the ground will be key. Who will turn it over more, Gore and Hill or AP and Favre?

if we stop peterson and make favre have to throw, the old gunslinger will come out and he will try to force some throws, resulting in turnovers and also his immobile self being sacked.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

if we stop peterson and make favre have to throw, the old gunslinger will come out and he will try to force some throws, resulting in turnovers and also his immobile self being sacked.

He is due for an INT.
Niners should keep doing what they're doing by feeding Frank the ball.

Vikings pass defense after two games average 157 yards allowed per game.

where as their rushing defense has allowed over 100 yards average against detriot and clevland.

give gore the ball mix in some screens and quick safe passes to the recievers or vernon.

go niners!!
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by nickbradley:

As I said in other posts, they were away against the Lions and Browns. This is their home opener, not just another home game. They have been hearing all week about Gore and OL and they want to prove us wrong. Therefore, I expect them to be hot coming right out of the gate.

Still, I hear ya. As long we get the calls out correctly along the OL, we should do well. I really would like to see how they are going to contain Peterson and Jarred Allen especially Allen.

Go Staley!!

Simple homie niners players just gonna have to out play there players. Staley gotta watch Allen's speed rush and just get his hands inside of Allen's hands and drive his ass around.
"This is going to be our biggest challenge to date, because of what they've done," linebacker Chad Greenway said of the 49ers' rushing offense, which ranks eighth in the NFL. "Gore has been a good back for a few years, and they'll be confident, thinking they can win the game.

"We need to shore up our run defense, or else it'll be a long day."

We know we can win!

We have been able to pull out a game with absolutely no rushing attack on the road this year already. Don't tell me Favre is better than Warner at this point in their careers.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
We have been able to pull out a game with absolutely no rushing attack on the road this year already. Don't tell me Favre is better than Warner at this point in their careers.

He's not, but we know the Cards really well.
WOOOOOOO
Man, I was really hoping that the niners would get some airtime in SoCal this weekend but they will be showing the Atlanta game instead. f**king sucks!
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Man, I was really hoping that the niners would get some airtime in SoCal this weekend but they will be showing the Atlanta game instead. f**king sucks!

no man... it should be the niners vs the vikings 10AM. it is the national game on TV
Share 49ersWebzone