LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS vs. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS GAMEDAY THREAD (Game 2 [Home Opener])

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hawksfan81:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
anyone know how their Oline compares to Zona?

If we were abusing the Tards line, I would hope we could get a good pass rush on hasselbeck, since he doesn't get as rattled as Warner does once you get in his face...

I don't know how our o-line compares to the card o-line because I haven't really looked at them yet, but here were my thoughts about our o-line before the rams game:

That starting unit didn't really get established until about the last week of the preseason so they definately missed out on a lot of reps as a unit. At least from the center postion thru RT. Lock has been playing LT since the OTAs in the spring and simms has been at LG since the start of camp since wahle retired just before camp started. Willis has played a fair amount at RT as well, but I don't actually remember when they confirmed that he was the guy at that spot. They had talked about him taking that spot and moving lock to RG though. Vallos and unger at center and RG respectively were tossed around back and forth in there for a while until a decision was actually made. So for me its a tough call. I can see them coming out and playing well because they knew so early on about the injuries. But at the same time I can see it being a train wreck because its a new scheme, unger is a rookie, and the last couple spots on the line were set so late in camp. I have faith that solari will have those guys prepped and ready to go. But they still have to prove that they can do it.

With all that said they did not give up a sack and the running game showed signs of life so I feel better about them now than I did before game one.

Nice to have you on our board. Hopefully, our boys will be civilized...football is as football does...you know. Anyway, I am seriously looking at your OL.

This was THE contention point for us: How would the OTs handle our pass rush? Well, most of us here felt that our DL would not do well against a formidable OL at times because of our lack of rush during the preseason. Oh not now especially after we got to Warner which most of us didn't expect including me.

Because we are at home, I think our DL and LBs will be pressuring Hasselback all day because of what we saw in AZ, an away game in a hostile environment. IF our offense can generate some first downs and keep our D rested, it will certainly be a long day for Hasselback.

The little dumps out on the flat to Carlson or RBs can do damage as demonstrated by Hightower in AZ. Yet, I would rather give that up than big plays to WRs. This has to be defended better.

The other concern I have is your very quick LBs. Can our OL snap out of it to create lanes for Gore and Co.? Or, will you guys take a page from AZ and run blitz like mad? I hope the latter because I believe in the "once bitten twice shy" motto. I would love for the play action to dominate Hill's choices next Sunday.

Either way, welcome. I look forward to some banter and conversation during the week.

Peace!
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Blitz:
I plan on hanging out on here this week and reading some threads/posts and talking football with some of the 49ers fans so I have a better idea of what to look for come game day. If anybody has any questions about the seahawks I will do my best to answer them from a hawks fans perspective.

Welcome bro.
Lets start with a test of your football IQ, you can establish some credibility, a question about the Hawks.

Who's better, Curry or Willis?

My honest opinion is that its too early to tell. I know curry had a lot of hype coming out of college but then again so did the boz. But he did look good in his first game even after being late to training camp and missing a week during camp due to injury. So I think it will be a little more fair to ask that question in two or three years. After he has had a chance to prove what type of player he is going to be in this league.

I see what your saying. I agree with what your trying to say. But, alas, the answer is simple... Curry isn't better than Willis. Not by a long shot, not even close.

But.. I get what your saying and you pass bro! Instant credibility! Welcome!

[ Edited by Blitz on Sep 15, 2009 at 10:59:41 ]
jk.

How did Hasselbeck look? I didnt watch that game cuz i was watching the niners, but i heard he struggled early in the game.

Also how is your defense looking?

Depends on what part of the game you watched. At the begining he was trash. Threw two picks in his first nine passes. One of them was tipped in the air by his reciever though. Hit him in the hands. So I don't think he put that one on matt. After that he was solid though. Threw 3 TDs. I don't know exactly what his passing % was after the picks but they were talking on the radio here that his QB rating was in the 140s after his early mistakes.
I see what your saying. I agree with what your trying to say. But, alas, the answer is simple... Curry isn't better than Willis. Not by a long shot, not even close.

Thanks for the passing grade
I hope your boy doesn't shine too bright on sunday though.

Welcome dude. While here, I hope that you are treated with the same courtesy that you have shown to others. On the whole, we're a solid bunch here on the Webzone.

Having said that:

*ahem*

THE SEAHAWKS ARE GOING DOWN ON SUNDAY!!!!! SUCK IT, BIRDS!!

That is all.

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Welcome dude. While here, I hope that you are treated with the same courtesy that you have shown to others. On the whole, we're a solid bunch here on the Webzone.

Having said that:

*ahem*

THE SEAHAWKS ARE GOING DOWN ON SUNDAY!!!!! SUCK IT, BIRDS!!

That is all.

lol
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
jk.

How did Hasselbeck look? I didnt watch that game cuz i was watching the niners, but i heard he struggled early in the game.

Depends on what part of the game you watched. At the begining he was trash. Threw two picks in his first nine passes. One of them was tipped in the air by his reciever though. Hit him in the hands. So I don't think he put that one on matt. After that he was solid though. Threw 3 TDs. I don't know exactly what his passing % was after the picks but they were talking on the radio here that his QB rating was in the 140s after his early mistakes.
This will be a very interesting game. 2 reasons:

1) How good are the Hawks? Hard to tell, it depends on how bad the Rams where, we know they are bad, inept to the point of comedy at times. (Reminds me of some not too distant 49ers teams) And, they were on the road, at qwest....makes it hard to tell.

2) How good are the Niner's? Hard to tell too. We all know Zona didn't play it's A game....they were out of sync on offense a bit. The Niner's didn't let thewm get in sync either. But, they were still dangerous, very dangerous, and we didn' t let the cat out of the bag. Defensively, they sold out on the run and excelled, they dared Hill to beat them (he eventually did when Singletary finally let him)...but the Niner's waited longer than they should have to do that. But, that was a good defense we played, with a good scheme, in their own house, no doubt. Next week, the question will be if Singletary learns the lesson from Zona to mix it up more, sooner. If he does, that would open up the run game big time. Defensively, the Niner's looked solid and shut down the Warner/Boldin/Fitz combo, in their own house...and generated a few TO's along with some big plays (sacks, pressures etc.) at critical times along the way.

What's your take on the situation?
Originally posted by Blitz:
jk.

This will be a very interesting game. 2 reasons:

1) How good are the Hawks? Hard to tell, it depends on how bad the Rams where, we know they are bad, inept to the point of comedy at times. (Reminds me of some not too distant 49ers teams) And, they were on the road, at qwest....makes it hard to tell.

2) How good are the Niner's? Hard to tell too. We all know Zona didn't play it's A game....they were out of sync on offense a bit. The Niner's didn't let thewm get in sync either. But, they were still dangerous, very dangerous, and we didn' t let the cat out of the bag. Defensively, they sold out on the run and excelled, they dared Hill to beat them (he eventually did when Singletary finally let him)...but the Niner's waited longer than they should have to do that. But, that was a good defense we played, with a good scheme, in their own house, no doubt. Next week, the question will be if Singletary learns the lesson from Zona to mix it up more, sooner. If he does, that would open up the run game big time. Defensively, the Niner's looked solid and shut down the Warner/Boldin/Fitz combo, in their own house...and generated a few TO's along with some big plays (sacks, pressures etc.) at critical times along the way.

What's your take on the situation?
greast post that what I was telling the seahawks fans on hteir forum both team has lot to prove and it will be an excellent measure stick...
Originally posted by servegmo:
I plan on hanging out on here this week and reading some threads/posts and talking football with some of the 49ers fans so I have a better idea of what to look for come game day. If anybody has any questions about the seahawks I will do my best to answer them from a hawks fans perspective.

actually I was on your forums doing the same... nice to have you here..

Thanks for the welcomes guys. What site are you going to servegmo? I like seahawkblue.com. If you go over there you will get some haters, but for the most part they are pretty cool in talking to other fans.

I will defenetly check that site out I was going to one site someone link on this forum.. I will check and tell you later..
Remember guys Gore Love the Seachickens he feast on them all the time !

Quote:

Nice to have you on our board. Hopefully, our boys will be civilized...football is as football does...you know. Anyway, I am seriously looking at your OL.

This was THE contention point for us: How would the OTs handle our pass rush? Well, most of us here felt that our DL would not do well against a formidable OL at times because of our lack of rush during the preseason. Oh not now especially after we got to Warner which most of us didn't expect including me.

Because we are at home, I think our DL and LBs will be pressuring Hasselback all day because of what we saw in AZ, an away game in a hostile environment. IF our offense can generate some first downs and keep our D rested, it will certainly be a long day for Hasselback.

The little dumps out on the flat to Carlson or RBs can do damage as demonstrated by Hightower in AZ. Yet, I would rather give that up than big plays to WRs. This has to be defended better.

The other concern I have is your very quick LBs. Can our OL snap out of it to create lanes for Gore and Co.? Or, will you guys take a page from AZ and run blitz like mad? I hope the latter because I believe in the "once bitten twice shy" motto. I would love for the play action to dominate Hill's choices next Sunday.

Either way, welcome. I look forward to some banter and conversation during the week.

Peace!

FYI, don't know if you guys saw but hill is out for the game. Groin injury. Lofa is expected to play but he had a slight hamstring injury in the rams game. But even with those guys out our LBs played suprisingly well.

The hawks have brought back the screen pass and like to run it with forsett in there and they have also been more liberal about the use of the shotgun. Plus they have made an effort to use more play action fakes. I know a lot of that will come in to play in an effort to neutralize the blitz. Hopefully it will work. I read that you guys were pretty strong in the pass rushing department last week.

We beefed up our d-line which should help against gore. It worked really well with jackson last week. But I have not checked yet to see what changes if any you guys have made to your o-line so I don't know how we will match up with them.

Carlson and burrelson were definately guys that matt was looking for last week. Then sprinkle a little housh on top and that was pretty much our passing coctail. Screen passes were in there too. I was suprised how much matt looked for nate though. I thought he would have more emphasis on getting the ball to housh. I guess next week could be different.
With 2 of their starting LB's (Tatupu and Hill), out for this game, Seattle could be vulnerable to the short passing game. I look for the TE position (Davis and/or Walker) to have a big 1st half vs Seattle, as the club makes conservative throws early to loosen-up the 8-in-the-box and the run blitzing that Seattler is surely planning. Mora has always been an agressive coach defensively, who will take chances. It will be up to the Niner passing game to burn Seattle for the over-aggressiveness that I anticipate.

Seattle is also hurting at the OT positions, so them Niner pass rush could possibly be even more effective this week.

Seattle's "money man" is TE Carlson, who has to match-up with Manny Lawson's best skill, pass coverage. That will be a one-on-one battle to watch all day.

While both defenses looked good in Week 1, I expect a more high scoring game this week. It may require 30 points to win this game. The Niners will need a defensive or ST score to reach 30 points.

[ Edited by jimbagg on Sep 15, 2009 at 12:35:12 ]
Were going to go out there and hit them in the mouth!

Enough said!
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
quote]

Peace!

FYI, don't know if you guys saw but hill is out for the game. Groin injury. Lofa is expected to play but he had a slight hamstring injury in the rams game. But even with those guys out our LBs played suprisingly well.

The hawks have brought back the screen pass and like to run it with forsett in there and they have also been more liberal about the use of the shotgun. Plus they have made an effort to use more play action fakes. I know a lot of that will come in to play in an effort to neutralize the blitz. Hopefully it will work. I read that you guys were pretty strong in the pass rushing department last week.

We beefed up our d-line which should help against gore. It worked really well with jackson last week. But I have not checked yet to see what changes if any you guys have made to your o-line so I don't know how we will match up with them.

Carlson and burrelson were definately guys that matt was looking for last week. Then sprinkle a little housh on top and that was pretty much our passing coctail. Screen passes were in there too. I was suprised how much matt looked for nate though. I thought he would have more emphasis on getting the ball to housh. I guess next week could be different.
Off hand, I think you guys are going to be doing a lot of screens this week to try and slow down the rush. We didn't blitz much last week... the pressure, essentially, came from 4. That allowed us to cover well, and vice versa.

Here's the deal with the run. We know we can run the ball and we also know Sing is committed to it. Nobody is going to get away with what Arizona did (selling out to the run) without hanging their ass out on the line. No team can run against that type of scheme, even the best of them. We screwed that situation up big time, Sing was basically playing not to lose and didn't mix it up until he had too, which could have been disastrous. But, eventually Sing opened it up a bit and Hill did what Hill does, which is win, ugly as his throws may be. Now, here's the deal about Sing: He's not one to let a life lesson pass him buy without learning from it.

Now, you guys are going to watch the film and that's what your going to see, Arizona selling out to the run, and Sing not taking advantage early and often enough, and the run continuing to be stuffed because of the lack of adjustment, and then Sing opening it up some and the Niner's scoring when they needed to because of it. You will see that Zona dared Hill to beat them, and he did just that when he was given the chance by Sing, albeit at the cost of sacrificing the run game by not doing it soon enough.

You will have choice: Copy the plan that Zona played or do something else.

And if you do decide to copy, we will have a choice: Make adjustments or wait like we did last week and let our run game get shut down.

MY hunch is, (because Sing is the type to not let lesson's pass him buy without learning) is that Sing isn't going to let that happen again, he's going to mix up sooner than later, he's going to get that run game going come hell or high water, but he's not going to pound his head agaisnt a losing wall doing it. (Trying to get going against a team that is sold out to it defensively). The only question is will it happen this week? I think it will, PROVIDED...Sing mixes it up sooner, our right tackle comes to play and Rachel doesn't let Mebane get the best of him all day long.
Quote:

Peace!

The hawks have brought back the screen pass and like to run it with forsett in there and they have also been more liberal about the use of the shotgun.
Plus they have made an effort to use more play action fakes. I know a lot of that will come in to play in an effort to neutralize the blitz. Hopefully it will work. I read that you guys were pretty strong in the pass rushing department last week.

The bolded killed us last year at home!

We have to address the RBs and TEs in the flat or it could be Hightower part deux because we are pressuring so much. The bottom line is that our DL must take advantage of Jones and Spencer coming back this week. They have to penetrate and cause Hasselback to squirm.

We always play tough at home so expect our players to be pumped for this one. Let's see how it goes in the trenches.
Share 49ersWebzone