LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

The Greatest 8 Minutes of All-Time !

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • ZRF80
What a great gameplan, huh ? Im sure the Cowboys were planning all week to make Irvin the decoy (since Deion would be covering him) and let Harper have a field day with our secondary. Instead, Seifert gave them the ultimate uppercut with pasting Deion on Harper one-on-one, and letting the entire defense roll over to Irvin's side. Everytime Irvin touched the ball, we had corners, safeties, linebackers all over him that day.

Not to mention Ive never seen Candlestick so loud an entire game like it was that day..
Originally posted by ZRF80:
What a great gameplan, huh ? Im sure the Cowboys were planning all week to make Irvin the decoy (since Deion would be covering him) and let Harper have a field day with our secondary. Instead, Seifert gave them the ultimate uppercut with pasting Deion on Harper one-on-one, and letting the entire defense roll over to Irvin's side. Everytime Irvin touched the ball, we had corners, safeties, linebackers all over him that day.

Not to mention Ive never seen Candlestick so loud an entire game like it was that day..

Deions assignment was to cover just Harper. Harper had ate us up in the two previous NFC Championship games. We would man up on Harper and then zone away on the other side and I can only think WTF was going through Troy's mind. Do I throw it against Prime Time or do I throw it against the rest of the D? That was Harpers last game as a Cowboy who ended up with a big contract with Tampa the year after to later fade out of the NFL.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
I almost cried when i saw this....awww, the memories
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
Originally posted by father49er:
I remember Aikman gave a post game comment that went something like: Had we not spotted them 3 touchdowns we would have won.

That's a correct statement.

Then we can "if, if if" every game we've ever lost, ever.

"Excuses are like..... yada, yada, yada."

I just remember being very uptight during that game -- especially when Aikman starting torching our secondary later.

Didn't they score a quick seven, only to have Young and Rice hook up for another quick six to make it 28-7? I seem to remember that.

I was on pins and needles during the entire second half.

Every post season contest feels that way. The only exceptions- 55-10 and vs SD for #5.
I remember Aikman gave a post game comment that went something like: Had we not spotted them 3 touchdowns we would have won.

That's a correct statement. The Cowboys were one or two scores away from getting back into this game. I remember this game clearly. It was not a cakewalk by any stretch of the imagination.

It was absolutely not as lopsided as those 8 minutes showed. It was also correct the Niners dominated the Cowboys in those 8 minutes, forced the Cowboys to play catchup, and ultimately lost them the game. It's funny because a pro football athlete knows timing is a big part of the game and those are the breaks.
Im Pumped! Best 9 minutes I spent all day!! I'm READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!! LETS GO NINERS!!!

[ Edited by Lott49ersFan on Aug 11, 2009 at 22:56:22 ]
young, rice taylor, watters, floyd, wright, hanks, sanders and on and on... man, just to name that many awesome players in the same sentence makes me proud to be a niner fan. i was 8 years old when that game happened but i remember it like it was yesterday. Young, Rice and Watters were my favorite players growing up. if watters and deion didnt leave after that year we couldve won a few more. it was a mistake allowing those two to go. watters was sorely missed and letting deion go to the cowgirls sealed our fate
Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:
Still is exciting even today. All those TDs were direct results of great defense. Lets hope Sing gets this defense to that level, then we should be in great shape!

Special teams played well too... I hope our guys can force some turnovers on kickoffs and punts too...
  • SerJerryofRice
  • Info N/A
I love how Summerall keeps saying "the 49ers are RED hot!"

Originally posted by ZRF80:

Judging from the first few moments video, this may be true ... but I recall from Jerry Jones' induction speech for Irvin at the HOF that he lauded Irvin's numbers this day, saying that he had one of his best days ever and they basically came against Deion in single coverage. So, what was Jones smoking that day? Did Deion switch over in the second half just for kicks and giggles cause we were up so much only to get torched?

Originally posted by Mex49:
Sorry, if joe Montana isn't in the video, it ain't the greatest anything when speaking of Niner history

I wanted to post a video response with the roughly 7+ minutes depicting the entirety of the final drive in Super Bowl XXIII that was once on youtube, but I can't seem to find it. I don't care if it was only 3 minutes of actual gameplay, overall it's the greatest 8 minutes in Football History.

Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:

That's a correct statement.

Then we can "if, if if" every game we've ever lost, ever.

"Excuses are like..... yada, yada, yada."

Also the 49ers would have played differently if they did not have a 21-0 lead, you cannot subtract 21 points and say the Cowboys would have won 28-17 if there weren't the 3 first quarter turnovers.

According to Aikman's logic, without this and the 4 turnovers, the Cowgirls would have lost. (I also remember Jerry Jones quoting Aikman's statement during Irvin's HOF induction speech)
Brent Jones was the whole reason I started playing Tight End instead of FS

TE Ted Popson on that diving catch to get a 1st down on 4th and very short!!!
After watching and remembering that game, two things come to mind. #1 That was really the Super Bowl game that year(we all knew they could beat the Chargers) #2 Cowgirls didn't spot us S#&T! The team was hyped and ready for them. Cowgirls were caught off guard.
is Floyd wearing a shirt that says "f**k Dallas"?
Share 49ersWebzone