There are 172 users in the forums

Surprise, Surprise. Vernon got in another fight

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • rob28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
I thought he was over this phase. For those of us who played football, we know that sometimes during practice we would get into scuffles. But Vernon is supposed to be a team leader. For example, look at P Dub. He symbolizes what a team leader is. I´m tired of hearing about Vernon always fighting with his OWN teammates. P.S. Crabpubes will sign...
fights happen at all 32 team training camps, who cares.
Originally posted by Joecool:
The only issue I have with Vernon Davis and the fights he's involved in is that he's quick to start swinging rather than doing the usually grab and toss that most guys do when they fight on the field.

I am pretty sure that I read this time Harris got Davis's helmut off early in the scuffle so that he wouldn't harm his own hands and Harris got to swinging quickly ------ smart guy.
Yeah chill out all. Just as long as players aren't breaking off table legs and impaling each other we'll be fine:

oh gives a sh*t? the guy has passion and a competitive nature. at least he cares. at least he wants to be the best. better than somebody like spencer that keeps his head down and just tries to get through practice.. being modest and queit about everything. that sure does good. so good that hes stayed hes held onto to his backup cb roll yet again. guy has no drive.
Originally posted by Joecool:
The only issue I have with Vernon Davis and the fights he's involved in is that he's quick to start swinging rather than doing the usually grab and toss that most guys do when they fight on the field.

So you would rather see a tapout as opposed to a knockout?
I thought he was over this phase. For those of us who played football, we know that sometimes during practice we would get into scuffles. But Vernon is supposed to be a team leader. For example, look at P Dub. He symbolizes what a team leader is. I´m tired of hearing about Vernon always fighting with his OWN teammates.

P.S. Crabpubes will sign...

What do you mean "another fight"? You are referring to the one that happened the other day or did he 'fight' again?? ....
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
The hell U say......
  • MikeyVnutz
  • Info N/A
i read that harris probably would have won the fight
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
I thought he was over this phase. For those of us who played football, we know that sometimes during practice we would get into scuffles. But Vernon is supposed to be a team leader. For example, look at P Dub. He symbolizes what a team leader is. I´m tired of hearing about Vernon always fighting with his OWN teammates.

What do you mean "another fight"? You are referring to the one that happened the other day or did he 'fight' again?? ....

he means "another" fight cuz davis has been getting in little scuffles ever since he became a niner during practice.

I, for one, don't care...even if he made a promise to not do it again. I mean, atleast he understands that he needs to keep his cool, but when you go out there on the football field, in that heat, doing all that hitting and running, you lose your temper. No big deal, its football.
Good! Maybe he will make these young bucks men. Every team needs one that will push others buttons. As long as he doesnt act stupid on gameday.

Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

he means "another" fight cuz davis has been getting in little scuffles ever since he became a niner during practice.

I, for one, don't care...even if he made a promise to not do it again. I mean, atleast he understands that he needs to keep his cool, but when you go out there on the football field, in that heat, doing all that hitting and running, you lose your temper. No big deal, its football.

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up... I knew about the previous years, but thought he was referring to this season. I agree, this isnt 2-hand-touch.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
It is kind of a big deal. Not because it's a fight, or because of passion, and of course, these things happen.

But it matters because of this:

With another training camp starting Saturday, Davis said that this year he plans to keep his inner-Muhammad Ali under control. For one thing, Mike Singletary has no patience for fights in practice.

“I agree with [Coach Singletary],’’ Davis said. “I don’t think there should be fighting. We don’t have time for that. We need to move on and keep things moving and try to win games.”

Davis said that if players fight, Singletary will stop practice and make the whole team run. So the tight end vowed to keep his cool, even if he practiced with the same intensity.

“That’s behind me, but the one thing I can’t stop doing is being competitive,’’ David said. “That’s just who I am. I’m going to do my best not to lose.”

Just days ago, he made a committment to himself, the fans, his coach and the team to curb this behavior.

Now, at the very begining of camp, the first fight involves....who else....Vernon Davis.

It just goes to show how undiciplined, unfocused, selfish and frankly unintelligent he is a a person and a football player.

He will always let his emotions and own desires get the better of him. He seems incapable of putting the team first and being enough of a man to do what needs to be done, not what he wants to do or instinctively feels like he should do in a certain situation.

It's the same with his play on the field. If you just let him block, or catch a short pass and make moves, things that are mostly instinctual and physical, he does well.

But if you ask him to run routes, be precise, not make stupid penalties or showboat, he can't do it.

I'd rather have a guy with half his talent and twice as much between the ears over a hothead with talent like VD any day.

plain old hate. dude have you ever stepped on to a feild with pads. its a violent sport, if he never faught his whole life, then i would be worried. its fight or flight, and vd def. has the fight. if you (in generall not you) are the flight type of guy don't play football, or kick. no one with flight can be a even decent football player.

GO VD!!! Ball out this year. and vd was put in check by sing last season. so again so what, just dont injure yourself or another teammate.

PS. He seams to be a highlight reel at camp, gettin the bulk of passes. And catchin a high percentage too! so be glad we have him. Hes probably at the bottom of espns hothead list!!! And once again ITS FOOTBALL!!

and the beginning of camp. no that was a week ago!
The hate can be used on crabtree!

[ Edited by fan49 on Aug 7, 2009 at 12:08:33 ]
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
It is kind of a big deal. Not because it's a fight, or because of passion, and of course, these things happen.

But it matters because of this:

With another training camp starting Saturday, Davis said that this year he plans to keep his inner-Muhammad Ali under control. For one thing, Mike Singletary has no patience for fights in practice.

“I agree with [Coach Singletary],’’ Davis said. “I don’t think there should be fighting. We don’t have time for that. We need to move on and keep things moving and try to win games.”

Davis said that if players fight, Singletary will stop practice and make the whole team run. So the tight end vowed to keep his cool, even if he practiced with the same intensity.

“That’s behind me, but the one thing I can’t stop doing is being competitive,’’ David said. “That’s just who I am. I’m going to do my best not to lose.”

Just days ago, he made a committment to himself, the fans, his coach and the team to curb this behavior.

Now, at the very begining of camp, the first fight involves....who else....Vernon Davis.

It just goes to show how undiciplined, unfocused, selfish and frankly unintelligent he is a a person and a football player.

He will always let his emotions and own desires get the better of him. He seems incapable of putting the team first and being enough of a man to do what needs to be done, not what he wants to do or instinctively feels like he should do in a certain situation.

It's the same with his play on the field. If you just let him block, or catch a short pass and make moves, things that are mostly instinctual and physical, he does well.

But if you ask him to run routes, be precise, not make stupid penalties or showboat, he can't do it.

I'd rather have a guy with half his talent and twice as much between the ears over a hothead with talent like VD any day.

Almost every football player has been in a fight at some point. I suggest you watch a sport you understand
If you watch the video of the fight he got into with Haralson last year, he didn't go after Haralson, Haralson went after him. Vernon just locked him up and dominated him with so much emotion and aggression that it transferred to Haralson and he got pissed. Once the play was finished, you can see that Vernon stopped and was chill. But we blame Vernon because it's Vernon and because he just made Haralson look silly in the fight.

Now Vernon might've started this most recent fight, might not have, it says he did take a "few swings" at Harris but Singletary disciplined Vernon because he "looks at him as one of the leaders of our team." But his emotions are a good thing, they give him more strength, football is a game of emotion. In blocking situations he dominates his opponents because of them. With Singletary to lead him I'm more than confident he will learn to use his emotions when they're needed, and put them away when they might get him into trouble.

[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Aug 7, 2009 at 12:52:58 ]
This was from Barrows' blog:

Quote:
During passing drills, Nate Clements knocked the ball out of Vernon Davis' hands for the second straight practice. This time, Davis recovered. ... Speaking of Davis, Frank Gore said he spoke with Davis after the tight end's practice scuffle Thursday forced the team to run gassers. "I told him it was his fourth year now and it shouldn't be him (fighting) now." Gore said he might expect a rookie to lose his cool. "It's his fourth year now. It's time ... it's time for him to be a man."

I love Gore!

Not that I am really mad at Vernon for fighting or anything, but it is cool to read that the players are keeping each other in check.
Share 49ersWebzone