LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Brandon Jones Suffers Shoulder Fracture (Out 8 to 10 Weeks)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Bryant Johnson is still a better receiver than Jones. We wasted all that money on Jones, when Johnson got 3/$9M

Jones getting hurt is actually a blessing in disguise because it will give Jason Hill and Ziegler a chance to make the roster.

Both of them will

Hope so, but we're only keeping 5 receivers.

WR 1: Josh Morgan (LOCK)
WR 2: Issac Bruce (LOCK)

Michael Crabtree
Jason Hill
Dominique Ziegler
Arnaz Battle
Brandon Jones

Again, Jones was a waste of money. We should have spent that money on a pass rusher.

What pass rusher? Fork over $100mil for Haynesworth?

How was Jones a waste of money? At the time of signing, Bruce was contemplating retirement and Crabtree was not even being discussed.

What exactly did you see from Bryant Johnson last year? Half the year he was injured.

-9fA
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Bryant Johnson is still a better receiver than Jones. We wasted all that money on Jones, when Johnson got 3/$9M

Jones getting hurt is actually a blessing in disguise because it will give Jason Hill and Ziegler a chance to make the roster.

Both of them will

Michael Crabtree
Jason Hill
Dominique Ziegler
Arnaz Battle
Brandon Jones

Again, Jones was a waste of money. We should have spent that money on a pass rusher.

How was Jones a waste of money? At the time of signing, Bruce was contemplating retirement and Crabtree was not even being discussed.

What exactly did you see from Bryant Johnson last year? Half the year he was injured.

-9fA

Well it looks like we wont see Brandon Jones for at least a 1/4 of the year.

We would have gotten screwed either way. lol
Crabtree wont be ready to step on the field until week 4 to possibly after the bye.

Based on what?

It's not like our offense is the complicated Mike Martz system anymore.

It's pretty straight forward.

He hasn't been able to touch the playbook, has no chemistry with the team especially QB's, and hasn't been hit in months. It's going to take him at-least a month to learn the system and there's no guarantee he even cracks the staring lineup once he grasps it. The obvious, he hasn't signed yet!!!
Does anyone know how Jones is doing?
and when is he targeted to be back?
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Does anyone know how Jones is doing?
and when is he targeted to be back?

I thought it was around week 4
If we only keep 5 - I would say Hill is gone.

Bruce
Morgan
Jones
Crabtree
Battle

I would opt for Hill over Battle, but the coaching staff seems to have an affinty for him. Hill has proven nothing this offseason and I get the feeling that the coaching staff has given up on him being the playmaker they envisioned when he was drafted.
Originally posted by Rathman_44:

Bruce
Morgan
Jones
Crabtree
Battle

I would opt for Hill over Battle, but the coaching staff seems to have an affinty for him. Hill has proven nothing this offseason and I get the feeling that the coaching staff has given up on him being the playmaker they envisioned when he was drafted.

I would rather keep Hill over Battle also.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by Rathman_44:

Bruce
Morgan
Jones
Crabtree
Battle

I would rather keep Hill over Battle also.

With Jones hurt and Crabtree not even in camp yet, we may keep 6 so I would add Hill to that list. Even though Ziegler has looked good in TC, he hasn't done anything in preseason. Hill hasn't made much news in TC but he's caught 4 balls in 2 preseason games, including 3 last week.
Let's get some facts straight:

Jones cannot be IR'd or he is automatically out for the season. Jones cannot be PUP'd because he reported to camp healthy, and his injury is NFL football-related. Therefore, Jones MUST BE on the Final 53 roster for Game 1, or he is out for the year. Jones was also one of the most impressive WR in camp until his shoulder injury, diving to catch a pass. Note that his injury does not affect his wheels. so he should be productive very quickly, once he returns.

Crabtree, if he signs, CAN BE PUP'd. My understanding is that PUP players do count in the TC 80-player roster limit, but DO NOT COUNT against the regular season 53-man limit. This is a key consideration in the current CBA. PUP players can be added to the 53-player roster between Games 6-10 (or they must be IR'd for the remainder of the season). Crabtree can attend team meetings, including Sullivan's WR positional meetings and film reviews, but Crabtree cannot practice with the team during PUP time. He can get his playbook. He can probably, informally, run pass patterns with his "friend", Nate Davis, pitching him passes at a local high school (not a Niner practice or Niner facility), during his PUP time. No, Jerry Sullivan ( Niner management) probably can't "observe" such informal work directly, but he could have someone video tape these pitch-and-catch sessions, and then critique Crabtree "off-line". So why might the club possibly PUP Crabtree and go through such machinations? So that the club would not have to dedicate TWO WR spots on the Final 53 to players who CANNOT CONTRIBUTE in these early games.

Because neither can contribute initially, Jones and Crabtree are tied together, as it relates to precious WR roster spots.

I wouldn't be surprised to see things go down like this:

Final 53 for Game 1: Bruce, Morgan, Battle, Hill, Jones
PUP: Crabtree (activated Week 6, via a Final 53 roster player who has gone to IR)
PS: Zeigler (yes, he is still PS-eligible)
CUT: Spurlock (or kept if there is room for 6 WR, which I doubt)
[ Edited by jimbagg on Aug 28, 2009 at 10:55 AM ]
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Let's get some facts straight:

Jones cannot be IR'd or he is automatically out for the season. Jones cannot be PUP'd because he reported to camp healthy, and his injury is NFL football-related. Therefore, Jones MUST BE on the Final 53 roster for Game 1, or he is out for the year. Jones was also one of the most impressive WR in camp until his shoulder injury, diving to catch a pass. Note that his injury does not affect his wheels. so he should be productive very quickly, once he returns.

Crabtree, if he signs, CAN BE PUP'd. My understanding is that PUP players do count in the TC 80-player roster limit, but DO NOT COUNT against the regular season 53-man limit. This is a key consideration in the current CBA. PUP players can be added to the 53-player roster between Games 6-10 (or they must be IR'd for the remainder of the season). Crabtree can attend team meetings, including Sullivan's WR positional meetings and film reviews, but Crabtree cannot practice with the team during PUP time. He can get his playbook. He can probably, informally, run pass patterns with his "friend", Nate Davis, pitching him passes at a local high school (not a Niner practice or Niner facility), during his PUP time. No, Jerry Sullivan ( Niner management) probably can't "observe" such informal work directly, but he could have someone video tape these pitch-and-catch sessions, and then critique Crabtree "off-line". So why might the club possibly PUP Crabtree and go through such machinations? So that the club would not have to dedicate TWO WR spots on the Final 53 to players who CANNOT CONTRIBUTE in these early games.

Because neither can contribute initially, Jones and Crabtree are tied together, as it relates to precious WR roster spots.

I wouldn't be surprised to see things go down like this:

Final 53 for Game 1: Bruce, Morgan, Battle, Hill, Jones
PUP: Crabtree (activated Week 6, via a Final 53 roster player who has gone to IR)
PS: Zeigler (yes, he is still PS-eligible)
CUT: Spurlock (or kept if there is room for 6 WR, which I doubt)

even if they are a little light, they have delanie walker and M. Rob who played WR in college IF need be and they actually need to use all their receiver depth. i know they arent the best options at this point, but it would be better than putting a promising WR like Jones on IR and cutting a guy just to have crabtree on the roster in case he decides to grace us with his already annoying presence

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Both of them will

Michael Crabtree
Jason Hill
Dominique Ziegler
Arnaz Battle
Brandon Jones

-9fA

People like to forget the situation at the time decisions were made. Thanks for pointing out the facts.
  • DJD
  • Veteran
Singletary said today in his presser that Jones will practice this week and may be able to play THIS WEEK. Nice job on the quick recovery Brandon!! Oh yeah and Crabtree, you paying any attention?? Best get yer schiz together.

[ Edited by DJD on Sep 14, 2009 at 13:35:39 ]
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DJD:
Singletary said today in his presser that Jones will practice this week and may be able to play THIS WEEK. Nice job on the quick recovery Brandon!! Oh yeah and Crabtree, you paying any attention?? Best get yer schiz together.

This is great news.

That would be HUGE.
  • zero
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chief:

This is great news.

Championship
Share 49ersWebzone