LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Burnout?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The difference between the "Old School" and present time ball is that players didn't work year around in "Old School" where a grueling training camp trying to use every second to develop and get into shape was vital.

Now, these players haven't even taken more than 6 weeks off at one time. These guys all seem to be in shape coming into camp so by week 8 of the season, I could smell a burnout.
That actually is a very valid point
It's all about conditioning. The players have to condition themselves so they don't run out of steam towards the end of the season. The better condition the better the longevity. I believe Singletary will ease off the further along they get. He's done it himself and knows when to ease off.
  • NinerFaninIndy83
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
That actually is a very valid point
I dont think so.

The strength and conditioning coaches are hired for a reason. They have a method.
Having to lose 30 lbs. in 8 weeks is way more grueling then showing up in shape on time. These guys just dont get out of shape like old school guys so they have less work to do. Old school guys had to starve and kill themselves to get in shape and thats way harder work
I doubt it, thats the point of the year round conditioning...
I'm guessing Singletary has the hammer down early in camp to see who can truly hang. He's smart enough to know that a boot-camp pace can't be sustained.
I love singletery's style it is awesome
There's no burning out if you're actually in shape.

Singletary is being smart just like2007 there has been a lot of press about us being a playoff sleeper, etc. He doesn’t want these guys believing the stories that have been written about us this year.

I think Singletary is using the same methods used in military boot camp. Initially you break down the individual then half way through camp the drill Sgt. eases up a little and begins to build you up. The secret is understanding how to treat each individual during the breaking down period. If Sing hasn’t eased up by the end of the 2nd pre-season game I will become concerned that he is a coach that just rides guys to hard until it blows up in his face and by the 10th game of the season the players are physically and mentally wore out and frustrated.
They are professional football players that make way more money than anyone on this board. Competition is also very tough, and there's always someone younger who wants to take their job. So they should be in shape and ready to go.
Originally posted by Joecool:
The difference between the "Old School" and present time ball is that players didn't work year around in "Old School" where a grueling training camp trying to use every second to develop and get into shape was vital.

Now, these players haven't even taken more than 6 weeks off at one time. These guys all seem to be in shape coming into camp so by week 8 of the season, I could smell a burnout.

I would agree with your point more if they trained like this throughout the season, but they don't. Once the season starts practice is used mainly for implementing the gameplan for the next opponent.

Another point worth considering is that being in "good shape" and being in "football shape" are two totally different things. Which is why it's so common to see guys that holdout for long periods of time go down with injuries early in the season. There is something to be said about getting the body accustomed to taking the pounding it'll take during a 16 game (hopefully longer) season.
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
There's no burning out if you're actually in shape.

Um... no.

Go look up Dick Vermeil's Eagles. He used to work his teams too hard and they would fade in the later weeks of the season and playoffs.

When Vermeil took over the Rams, he applied a different philosophy and stopped overworking his players.

To say if you are "in shape" you don't get burnt out is a joke. If you don't have sufficient time to rest your body, your body will break down and/or you will get injured.
The thing is though......this team needs to be pushed at this stage of there development, its time now to take the training wheels off and get after it.
Share 49ersWebzone