LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 146 users in the forums

Does anybody believe that our pass rush is any better?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
dude is preseason man its gunna get better u know why cause sing says so and thats the bottom line!!!
We haven't played a game in 8 months. Its preseason, and we barely blitzed. You can't expect to get much pressure when you're rushing 4 guys every down, especially in a 34 since 3 of those guys aren't even really pass rushers.

Wait for the season to start when we really start to disguise blitzers and have creative schemes..... Its f**king preseason, and no one wants to give away much of their schemes....
Our best pass rusher is Parys Haralson and we sent him after the qb a total of 3 times last night.

Manny Lawson rushed the qb 10-11 times and 7 of those 11 times Orton threw a quick pass from shotgun or it was a three step drop.

Please tell me we have a smart enough fan base not to give up on our pass rush based on last night.

Forget scheme lets at least see our starters play more then one series and our starting OLBs rush the passer more then a handful of times.
Hard to say, we looked VERY conservative, it looked like we stayed in base and sent the same 4 a lot, not many blitzes, stunts or zone drops, I will have to wait and see how we play in the opener.
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by BigMar:
...Last nights Denver game was simple basic pre-season football, barely any scheming, your man against our man, best player wins.

That is what disturbed me the most. In a straight up test of power and/or skill our D-line and pass rushers got their asses handed to them.

Denver was the team doing the "mouth punching" last night.

Well in a vanilla scheme 5 o-lineman verses 3 d-lineman will win almost every time. The most important part of the 3-4 is the deception and hiding of blitzes, which we didnt do last night. Plus Denvers O line is highly rated

Well they did a heck of a job. I hope our O-line took notes.
As any of you noticed yesterday, our secondary is very capable of making BIG plays even without a pass rush.....And thats with them playing in a more vanilla scheme by giving the recievers a lot of cushion....

Now imagine once we start to blitz the f**k out of teams with stunts, MLB blitz, corner blitzes, all that crazy stuff that a 3-4 allows you to do.....

Our secondary would be capable of holding their own in man coverage, and we could build an awesome defense.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by BigMar:
...Last nights Denver game was simple basic pre-season football, barely any scheming, your man against our man, best player wins.

That is what disturbed me the most. In a straight up test of power and/or skill our D-line and pass rushers got their asses handed to them.

Denver was the team doing the "mouth punching" last night.

And for all you fan's saying "well, it was only pre-season"..... Coach Singletary himself openly said he was disappointed in the lack of a Pass Rush.

So Singletary, like some of us smarter fans recognize that in a simple basic pre-season game if you can't even get 1 freak'en sack then..... trouble is around the corner in the regular season.

Of course it should be no surprise, since 9ers have not had a Pass Rush for over a decade now.
  • 49forLyfe
  • Info N/A
Now its just preseason & also the 1st game of it butt i did not see ANYTHING from Mlaw99. Harolson is our best guy for sure and i dont why we let rod green go, but from what ive seen early on mlaw is just a speedy lb. But not a sack artist. Until we get that ware, mariman type guy here we might struggle for a while. Also considering our Dline is not going to get much presure. Its alll up to out LB's . Maybe we"ll find a diamond in the ruff (Abrooks55) like the way rod green came on last season, but as of now i dont see it. Sing says we'll see. Now if hes tlking blitzing. It better be effective. Bcuz if we dont get to the qb we will get roasted like we've been getting..... COME ON MANNNNNNY LAW"DO SOMETHING"
It's too early to tell as of now. But ya last night the pass rush didn't look all that great. Parys Haralson didn't play and the same goes for Patrick Willis. It would be nice to see our Defense at full Strength go all out after the QB though. Maybe the pass rush will be more apparent in the following weeks.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Our best pass rusher is Parys Haralson and we sent him after the qb a total of 3 times last night.

Manny Lawson rushed the qb 10-11 times and 7 of those 11 times Orton threw a quick pass from shotgun or it was a three step drop.

Please tell me we have a smart enough fan base not to give up on our pass rush based on last night.

Forget scheme lets at least see our starters play more then one series and our starting OLBs rush the passer more then a handful of times.

Its the zone.

Originally posted by niner4life21:
We haven't played a game in 8 months. Its preseason, and we barely blitzed. You can't expect to get much pressure when you're rushing 4 guys every down, especially in a 34 since 3 of those guys aren't even really pass rushers.

Wait for the season to start when we really start to disguise blitzers and have creative schemes..... Its f**king preseason, and no one wants to give away much of their schemes....

What he said..

it will be

but not yet...not yet..
not at all. i'm not sold on Balmer. He's been getting pushed around during practices & it showed in the game. a couple of run plays he got man handled!
  • GORO
  • Veteran
The Niners could have drafted Orakpo, Maybin but chose to stand pat. Manny Lawson only has one pass rush move. Hopefully Brooks or Moore step up
We were 16th in the league in sacks last year so I don't where you guys come up with this crap. What we lacked was turnovers and last night was a huge step in the right direction. We don't have the greatest pass rush but its not terrible. We need to strip the ball more and get more int's.
[ Edited by 49wyztoscore on Aug 15, 2009 at 5:02 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone