There are 166 users in the forums

Vernon Davis claims 9ers will make the SB (***UPDATE Vernon on Crabtree***)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tohara3:
Love the confidence of our team!

Confidence is something we're not short of.. it's the results.

Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Love the confidence of our team!

Confidence is something we're not short of.. it's the results.

"Don't tell me, Show Me"

-Greatest quote ever for a team that thinks they have the potential to make the playoffs.
Originally posted by BobS:
Hope those guys don't get drug tested.

I'm probably going to get ripped for this, but confidence issues aside (and I love confidence), it never ceases to astound me that guys can actually graduate from college without having at least a marginal command of grammar and spelling. And yeah, I realize they're not on the team for their literary or public speaking ability, but c'mon, they're supposed college graduates!!! It's a sad commentary of how little we demand of athletes and of the educational system that allows them to progress all the way through the graduate level without possessing grade school skills. Sorry for the rant.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
I'm probably going to get ripped for this, but confidence issues aside (and I love confidence), it never ceases to astound me that guys can actually graduate from college without having at least a marginal command of grammar and spelling. And yeah, I realize they're not on the team for their literary or public speaking ability, but c'mon, they're supposed college graduates!!! It's a sad commentary of how little we demand of athletes and of the educational system that allows them to progress all the way through the graduate level without possessing grade school skills. Sorry for the rant.

You have a point, but don't kid yourself, D1 NCAA Football is just a minor league for the NFL. We slap a "student athlete" tag on these teenagers, pretending like their education is more important than their future profession (football).

But I can't hate on Davis. There have been reports in the past he has a learning disability (special ed.). And to me that makes sense why he would then have an Art major. He probably is a visual learner and has difficulties reading and writing. If I sound like a teacher that's because I am one.

I think this is an unfair statement. There are people who major in art who only concentrate on their skill. You can't fault a professional athlete that has a chance to make multi-millions for not caring about grammar.
Originally posted by Joecool:

I think this is an unfair statement. There are people who major in art who only concentrate on their skill. You can't fault a professional athlete that has a chance to make multi-millions for not caring about grammar.

Yeah, if the guy wants to look like an idiot,it is his right.I guarantee you that if academics were stressed more in the educational system,we would have less instances of star athletes doing dumb s**t like Mike Vick,Brandon Marshall,Plaxico...etc. Make them do their schoolwork instead of having it done for them and they would develop the discipline that so many of them lack.Too often these kids never grow up because their parents,coaches,administrators cover for them when they f**k up,so we end up with irresponsible millionaires like that dumbass Adam Jones.The world would be a better place if there were no such people.
It's not a question of the athlete not caring, it's the system, and let's face it, us fans, who excuse them, elevate them and absolve them of of adhering to the norms of society, whether they're educational, legal, moral, whatever. And I'm not hating on Vernon; it's just what brought all this to mind.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Yeah, if the guy wants to look like an idiot,it is his right.I guarantee you that if academics were stressed more in the educational system,we would have less instances of star athletes doing dumb s**t like Mike Vick,Brandon Marshall,Plaxico...etc. Make them do their schoolwork instead of having it done for them and they would develop the discipline that so many of them lack.Too often these kids never grow up because their parents,coaches,administrators cover for them when they f**k up,so we end up with irresponsible millionaires like that dumbass Adam Jones.The world would be a better place if there were no such people.

I don't think it has much to do with their education. It's more of their upbringing because even the smartest people do dumb s**t...it's just that it doesn't get as publicized. All these government people in high positions are finally starting to be brought out in the media.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
It's not a question of the athlete not caring, it's the system, and let's face it, us fans, who excuse them, elevate them and absolve them of of adhering to the norms of society, whether they're educational, legal, moral, whatever. And I'm not hating on Vernon; it's just what brought all this to mind.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:

I don't think it has much to do with their education. It's more of their upbringing because even the smartest people do dumb s**t...it's just that it doesn't get as publicized. All these government people in high positions are finally starting to be brought out in the media.

I agree there,notice I included the parents as the first culprits on the list of covering for their child's mistakes,instead of making them realize that they are the ones ultimately responsible for their actions.My point is that it doesn't stop there,it starts there and the coaches,teachers and school administrators perpetuate the problem that is recently becoming more and more prevalent in society.Immature rich athletes with more dollars than sense getting themselves in deep trouble because they have never had to be held accountable for their actions.
Being a grammar nazi in regards to someone's Twitter is the definition of irony.
Wow, only in 9er talk would people turn a topic about our guys saying the teams going to the superbowl into a dispute about our educational system...
SB here we come!
Vernon Davis isn't confident, he's arrogant.
Share 49ersWebzone