Matt Maiocco...talking Michael Vick right now

Who cares about Michael Vick!

Not me.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by MertonHanks:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I dont want to jump the gun and buy into all the rumors, as tempting as it is, but if it's true he can rot on the bench all season for all I care.

Does anyone know what the worst case scenerio is? What if the Niners said, "fine, sit out the season then" What would happen the next year? Is he a FA? What rights do the Niners have?

9ers would still own the rights to him, a trade would have to happen in order to acquire Crabtree. The that team would have to negotiate with him. Would be a dumb move by Crabtree IMO.

As of right now, Crabtree is nothing more than a symbol of our 10th overall pick in the draft, which equals 1,300 points according to the Draft Value Chart.

I thought that he could reenter the draft next year and we'd just get a comp pick, isn't that what Bo Jackson did?

I think you are right:

Quote:

"the Club that drafted the player is the only Club with which the player may sign a Player Contract until the day of the Draft in the subsequent League Year, at which time such player is eligible to be drafted in the subsequent League Year’s Draft by any Club except the Club that drafted him in the initial Draft."

I was following Drew Henson's case, when he was drafted by the Texans in the 6th round:

Quote:

In 2004, he chose to give up baseball and return to football, joining the Dallas Cowboys after they traded their third round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft to the Houston Texans in exchange for Henson's services.
  • wshaheen321
  • Info N/A
I dont want to jump the gun and buy into all the rumors, as tempting as it is, but if it's true he can rot on the bench all season for all I care.

Does anyone know what the worst case scenerio is? What if the Niners said, "fine, sit out the season then" What would happen the next year? Is he a FA? What rights do the Niners have?

9ers would still own the rights to him, a trade would have to happen in order to acquire Crabtree. The that team would have to negotiate with him. Would be a dumb move by Crabtree IMO.

As of right now, Crabtree is nothing more than a symbol of our 10th overall pick in the draft, which equals 1,300 points according to the Draft Value Chart.

I thought that he could reenter the draft next year and we'd just get a comp pick, isn't that what Bo Jackson did?

I think you are right:

Quote:

"the Club that drafted the player is the only Club with which the player may sign a Player Contract until the day of the Draft in the subsequent League Year, at which time such player is eligible to be drafted in the subsequent League Year’s Draft by any Club except the Club that drafted him in the initial Draft."

I was following Drew Henson's case, when he was drafted by the Texans in the 6th round:

Quote:

In 2004, he chose to give up baseball and return to football, joining the Dallas Cowboys after they traded their third round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft to the Houston Texans in exchange for Henson's services.

Do you guys really think it'll get to that? It would hurt him more than benefit him by so much. If anything, he'd be drafted later cause teams wouldn't like what he did. He'd be losing so much money.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by wshaheen321:

I think you are right:

Quote:

Quote:

Do you guys really think it'll get to that? It would hurt him more than benefit him by so much. If anything, he'd be drafted later cause teams wouldn't like what he did. He'd be losing so much money.

No I don't think it would get to that, for the same reason you've mentioned, he would stand to lose a lot of money. You can seriously doubt that he would be a top 10 pick next year that's for sure. But this is a big gamble he would be taking.
Couldn't they sign him to a contract which guarantees # 10 money with incentives to work up his way up to "top 5" money.

If its an Ego thing then maybe he will sign.
  • wshaheen321
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GodismyLight:
Couldn't they sign him to a contract which guarantees # 10 money with incentives to work up his way up to "top 5" money.

If its an Ego thing then maybe he will sign.

They could, but evidently for who knows what reason, it's not as simple as that i guess.

But I think what you just said will happen. I just want him in camp so he can start developing into what we all want him to be.
  • bigtime49er
  • Info N/A
Everyone needs to stop worrying whether or not Crabtree will show that he can play in the NFL. I'm sick of these excuses people are saying like if his foot is completely healed and other things. Whenever he signs he will come in and show everyone that he can ball. No need to predict the worst for this guy.
This just goes to show the problem with the NFL. There is no way Matt Stafford should be the highest paid QB in the league. MC should not be paid more than a #10 pick. The sad this is that it isn't all Crabtree's fault. These agents are like parasites and fill these young mens minds with the thought that they deserve to make more than vetran players and anything less should result in a holdout. A rookie salary cap would solve all of this. Although parting the red sea may prove to be an easier task.

[ Edited by mavfd9er on Jul 27, 2009 at 23:21:23 ]
Originally posted by mavfd9er:
This just goes to show the problem with the NFL. There is no way Matt Stafford should be the highest paid QB in the league. MC should not be paid more than a #10 pick. The sad this is that it isn't all Crabtree's fault. These agents are like parasites and fill these young mens minds with the thought that they deserve to make more than vetran players and anything less should result in a holdout. A rookie salary cap would solve all of this. Although parting the red sea may prove to be an easier task.

Share 49ersWebzone