LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 170 users in the forums

Stats dont lie Vernon Davis is explosive!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
When he catches the ball, yes he is.
Vernon Davis will be key to our offense. If we can get him involved more, not wit just passes, but end arounds run plays like last year (the one where he gained 11 yards) then he will be in hawaii
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Were are all the stats of all his dropped passes and when he's run the wrong route.

Not sure about over his entire career,but in 07 he was 3rd in dropped passes on the team behind Battle(led in drops)and D-Drop.

Susweel is a Vernon Davis hater, thats what all the haters say.

"He drops passes"

But they never post the true facts about his drops, because it really ins't a problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oycl3Gjk7Ps

Sorry...It's all I came up with in a quick youtube search. I could think of many important drives where he has dropped some Extremely important passes. Just cant find video evidence... I like the guy, but he just cant catch consistently!
Originally posted by stevenking57:
I have wondered why Davis has never been part of the Forty Niner offense as a pass catcher. He has dropped some passes, but maybe an article best explains the mystery. It said, no I have no link, that he has trouble recognizing coverage and can't adjust his route running. That's the only explanation I ever heard about the lack of pass attempts to him. You'd think that whatever the problem, and I believe it's mental and not physical, that the coaching staff could fix it after all these years. If Davis doesn't have a break out year THIS season, he'll never have it. With Nolan as head coach AND a different O.C. every year could also have an impact too on his use.

Davis doesn't have the fluidity in and out of his breaks to be Gates or Gonzalez. It's a mistake sending him on a route that is any longer than 10 yards deep because he cannot catch the ball in stride.

Davis is best utilized on shallow routes, screens and checkdowns. Anything else is a waste of a down.

-9fA
Originally posted by Socal49erFan:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Dino:
The following represents the top TE's highest average YAC in their career.

Vernon Davis - 8.2 in 2008 and 6.4 in 2006 (2007 was excluded because Hos just sucked as an OC).
Tony Gonzalez - 4.93
Antonio Gates - 5.63
Cris Cooley - 7.35
Jason Whitten - 4.4
Dallas Clark - 8.52 (this is the year Indy had three 1,000 yard receivers and Payton had 49 TD's, it is fair to say Dallas Clark was the person opposing teams were least afraid of). Excluding that season his best year was 6.66.

lol! yeah, just throw that year out.

Just like we are throwing out the Lakers so called championship this year

You can throw out the championship and every game they played up until the final game.
Have you ever watched an NBA game? Can you honestly tell me you were satisfied with the way any of the games you saw were reffed? It is easy to win if everytime you look at the hoop they call foul (Kobe, Lebron and D Wade). Imagine if VD got PI calls every time he was targeted, no matter if he caught the ball or not. We would win the Superbowl and VD would have no receptions.

sorry dont add kobe to those others listed because he actually go the least of all calls. the refs called bad games but they did them to everyone so that dont matter.
and anyone using the drops stats need to actually show how this was not the problem. he had problems but droping the ball wasnt one of them
Originally posted by 5TIME49:
Player Team G Rec Yds Avg 1st YAC Trgt Avg. YAC Catch %
Vernon Davis SF 16 31 358 11.5 14 254 49 8.19 63%
Bo Scaife TEN 16 58 561 9.7 29 378 84 6.52 69%
Owen Daniels HOU 16 70 862 12.3 46 430 101 6.14 69%
Chris Cooley WAS 16 83 849 10.2 43 475 111 5.72 75%
Dallas Clark IND 15 77 848 11 41 377 107 4.90 72%
Jason Witten DAL 16 81 952 11.8 50 358 121 4.42 67%
Antonio Gates SD 16 60 704 11.7 39 238 92 3.97 65%
Tony Gonzalez KC 16 96 1058 11 67 276 155 2.88 62%

Vernon Davis lead all non-running backs with a YAC of 8.2 in 2008. The closest receiver was Bernard Berrian at 6.83 YAC. This translates into 71% of VD's 11.5 receiving average comes with the ball in his hands. That is impressive. Based on this he is just as explosive as a RB with the ball in his hands. The closest receiver is Bernard Berrian who ranked 20th overall in average YAC.

Vernon Davis' issue seems to be his ability to convert targeted passes into 1st downs. He only converted 1st downs on 29% of all passes he was the targeted, compared to an average of 41% for all other tight ends listed.

He did catch 62% of passes he was targeted on which is comparable to Tony Gonzalez (targeted 3X as much as Vernon), but well short of the 75% converted by Chris Cooley.

What this tells me is Vernon should never get the ball on 3rd down as he is not reliable. However, on 1st and 2nd down close to the line of scrimmage their might not be a better TE. His explosiveness is just as evident as his lack of deep receiving skills. If we use him close to the line he has the ability to take a small gain and make it a big one (look at the WR screen play in his 1st season against the packers for reference).

The following represents the top TE's highest average YAC in their career.

Vernon Davis - 8.2 in 2008 and 6.4 in 2006 (2007 was excluded because Hos just sucked as an OC).
Tony Gonzalez - 4.93
Antonio Gates - 5.63
Cris Cooley - 7.35
Jason Whitten - 4.4
Dallas Clark - 8.52 (this is the year Indy had three 1,000 yard receivers and Payton had 49 TD's, it is fair to say Dallas Clark was the person opposing teams were least afraid of). Excluding that season his best year was 6.66.

Football is about mismatches. VD is the ultimate Mismatch. He suffered from MM who doesnt use TE's and Hos who sucked. VD Drops ball = dont throw it deep.
VD isnt a good route runner = dont give him deep routes.

Jimmy Raye gets this (I hope), we are dangerous as hell. If he pulls a dumb ass and makes us take shots down field with VD we will be screwed by Mr. Lead Hands. Oh yeah and dont let him have the ball on crucial 3rd downs he just doesnt convert. We need Bear on 3rd down as a possession TE and VD to scare the s**t of OC's on 1st and 2nd.

His best year was when Hos was here 52 catches and over 500 yards.

aka the last time he was used. Martz used him as a lineman
Overpaid underachiever
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Were are all the stats of all his dropped passes and when he's run the wrong route.

Not sure about over his entire career,but in 07 he was 3rd in dropped passes on the team behind Battle(led in drops)and D-Drop.

Susweel is a Vernon Davis hater, thats what all the haters say.

"He drops passes"

But they never post the true facts about his drops, because it really ins't a problem.

Come on Chief, you know I dont hate any player on our team. Well maybe Issac Bruce if anybody. About VD, the dude has been a big time bust so far. I just call it like I see it. A spade is a spade.
if he doesnt rank in the top 10 of Tight Ends in yards, rec, and tds or doesnt have atleast 50rec and atleast 550yds then Im probably losing all hope. Same if Alex doesnt show something this year!!

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
if he doesnt rank in the top 10 of Tight Ends in yards, rec, and tds or doesnt have atleast 50rec and atleast 550yds then Im probably losing all hope. Same if Alex doesnt show something this year!!

Be prepared to lose hope! Unless of course it's determined it's not his fault. But what are the chances of that happening?
Originally posted by krizay:

Be prepared to lose hope! Unless of course it's determined it's not his fault. But what are the chances of that happening?

about the same as all the haters hating on him no matter what he accomplishes
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by krizay:

about the same as all the haters hating on him no matter what he accomplishes

accomplish

3rd alternate for his blocking! WOOT!!!!
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
Let's remember that some of the reason he was poor at catching those over the shoulder catches was because he was just too muscle bound. He said he has slacked off a bit on his weight training this off season and he says he is much more flexable now and is now not only the fastest TE in the entire NFL but is also quicker .
He is without a doubt the best blocking TE in the NFL and the fastest TE in the NFL and now has a OC that actually knows how to teach and use the TE's. Sounds like he should have no excuse if he doesn't have a great year,maybe a Pro Bowl year.
And it is true that his reputation for not being a good pass receiver is way overblown.I think it comes from him being such a hot dog (before Sing got a hold of him) and the fans expecting him to live up ,right away,to that 6th overall pick. Put together the fans expectations and him beinmg such a hot dog and then him dropping a few critical passes ,and that combines to make most fans not be on his side and not cut him as much slack as most players would get. In reality he has not been a bad receiver at all. He ws right on track for a 2nd year TE,when he caught about 53 passes (2nd on the team). Then Martz came in and put a stop to that progress by not using the TE's much as receivers. That one year glitch aside,VD should be back on track and better than ever this season.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
im sick of all you haters. he is a 9ner #1. back him til hes not. and all his dropped passes, yeah he was cocky..... no leadership from nolan.. after sing punked him he caught everything...... and how bout that catch against arizona where he got dropped by two players hard in what 06. and he still held on. quit hatin haters...... Dont forget he might be the best blocker we have besides staley....... VERNON IS A BEAST!!!!! PERIOD...

let me say this.... when he makes the pro bowl, are you guys gonna justride his cojones, or admit yeah i was hatin?
[ Edited by fan49 on Jul 23, 2009 at 8:41 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone