LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Do we need an upgrade at NT?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we need an upgrade at NT?

No doubt about it, Franklin. Sopoaga sucks so bad. He got paid, now he just sits on the line of scrimmage like a fat slob.
Sopoaga's contract is the worst on the team. He never makes plays.
Sopoaga
Franklin will be the starter at NT, and Soap will start at LDE.

However, the Niners are pulling very hard for Balmer to emerge as the NT of the future. We'll see more of him this year at LDE and NT.
Balmer pride this year... he better improve on his 6 tackles lasst year...
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

However, the Niners are pulling very hard for Balmer to emerge as the NT of the future. We'll see more of him this year at LDE and NT.

Hey Mad, I was under the impression that Balmer had trained all off-season with Smith and that he'll be pushing Sopoaga at the LDE position while Sopoaga rotates between LDE & NT. I've only heard talks of maybe trying him at NT but his true position is DE. Any insight?
Originally posted by NCommand:

Hey Mad, I was under the impression that Balmer had trained all off-season with Smith and that he'll be pushing Sopoaga at the LDE position while Sopoaga rotates between LDE & NT. I've only heard talks of maybe trying him at NT but his true position is DE. Any insight?
Nah, you got it right... only the vague-est references with this NT talk.... Brace yourself for yet another year of Franklin shoved brutally off the line.... sorry, Manny. Never had a prayer on this roster....
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
what do you all think of shaun rodgers???

Overhyped with a bad attitude. I would prefer to keep the draft pick and get a NT in the draft as there are some big biys comming out next year.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
No, isn't that what we drafted kentwan balmer for?

I think both Matts have stated that SF has plans to at least try Balmer at NT. Back in the day, Nolan said they would look at him for DE or NT. I never imagined Balmer as a NT ( 1 or 2 gap ), but guess he's worth a look if they see something in him there. Ideally, I'd love to see Sopoaga impress as a 1-gap NT, and Balmer as an emerging LDE talent.

I've not seen either Matt report this. I also don't think Balmers body matches the position. In other words, there is a reason the man is playing end.
Originally posted by NinerFan1977:
Originally posted by NinerNay20:
Besides free safety, this is absolutely our biggest area of concern on defense. Considering we run the 3-4, a Haloti Ngata type of player is essential. Forget trying to shuffle around the players we have in hopes of finding a solution because the right player just isn't on our roster, yet.

Agreed, plus Soap had better numbers than some of the big names in the NFL.

Unfortunatly, playing well as a NT in a 3-4 isn't about the "numbers".

Icebox is right where he needs to be. At End.

It's incredulous that people continue to trash the guy.

How many times did he stop the Back from getting into the secondary level or basically stopping the Back from getting past the LoS?

It was NOT the player it was the SCHEME that we were using. When we went straight 3-4, Icebox was a hell of a force at the Line. He and Smith were OFTEN in the Backfield disrupting plays.

I really wish people would take the time to think about the issue before wrongfully taking shots at ANY player on this team. Was there a reason for lack of production? There sure as hell was. And it's NOT the player in most instances.

The way some of you act, it's like WE were the team to go 0-16 instead of the Lions

~Ceadder
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Nah, you got it right... only the vague-est references with this NT talk.... Brace yourself for yet another year of Franklin shoved brutally off the line.... sorry, Manny. Never had a prayer on this roster....

Yeah, I call Franklin "Stalemate." He should be able to hold his own 50/50 but he certainly won't be pushing the pocket back. Manny? Hmmm, there are a whole lot of things that have to happen in order for him to be successful. Hopefully, that's the case this year! Finger's crossed...
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
what do you all think of shaun rodgers???

Overhyped with a bad attitude. I would prefer to keep the draft pick and get a NT in the draft as there are some big biys comming out next year.

yeah I would rather have Mt. Cody
Share 49ersWebzone