LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

Assuming playoffs and one loss, would you rather:

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Assuming playoffs and one loss, would you rather:

Originally posted by niner4life21:
if we really had to lose, I would say SB, no doubt. I don't care about the record. Making it to the big game shows everyone that we are really close.

But maybe I say this only because I'm a young fan who never saw a SB for the 49ers. Maybe I would just rather get to the next level than the others who saw all the SB victories and know what a perfect record would mean to them.

For me, its just to see the team win, and if it means to win then lose in the big game, I'm all for it.

-Teams that lose in the NFC/AFC Championship return the next season focused and hungry.

-Teams that lose the Super Bowl spiral.

Over the past decade, the teams and players that have lost the Super Bowl have taken a hit the next season both in the standings and on the stat sheets.

Since the 1997 season, the Chicago Bears (2006), Philadelphia Eagles (2005), Carolina Panthers (2004), Oakland Raiders (2003), St. Louis Rams (2002), New York Giants (2001) and Atlanta Falcons (1999) have all lost in the championship and failed to make the playoffs the next season.

The lone Super Bowl losers to make the playoffs in the next season are the Seattle Seahawks (2006) and Green Bay Packers (1998), but some of their players weren't immune to the jinx.

When we look inside the numbers at the players to lose in recent Super Bowls, we see that many of them experienced a significant decrease in statistical success.

Super Bowl Curse
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I say Superbowl. Rather lose in the big game than losing in the big game junior. I really could careless that they are undefeated in super bowl's.

I would rather lose in the NFC championship than lose in the SB.
Right now the prefect SB record is what distinguishes us from the Cowgirls.

I never understood the whole ' We're better than the Cowboys because we are 5-0 and they are 5-3. (Don't worry, I still tihnk we're better than the cowboys) I just feel that going to 8 super bowls and winning 5 is a little better than going to 5 and winning 5......w/e i dnot understand all u fans wanting to lose a game just so you can say we have a perfect record in the SB, makes no sense and its kinda actually frustrating me

Why get to the SuperBowl and lose? What's the point? To say you're the 2nd best team in the league? That would be debatable to say the least, because there have been many, many times when the SuperBowl loser wasn't even close to being the 2nd best team in the league. The 2002 raiders come to mind, as well as last year's Cardinals. Losing in the SuperBowl would do NOTHING but mess with the emotions of the fans on a much higher level than losing in the NFC CHampionship game.

I don't understand why people would want to go to the SuperBowl and lose. It's ridiculous. Who gives a rat's ass if we got ONE GAME further than we would have if we lost the NFC Championship game? The only thing that counts is WINNING the SuperBowl. If you don't win it, then you're just one of the 31 teams that failed. Just because you got there doesn't mean SH*T.

Dude, if we get to superbowl it shows that we're the best in the NFC.

What does that matter? We need to be the best in the entire NFL or w're just another one of the 31 teams that FAILED.

Wow, so you would rather just lose the way we've been since our last SuperBowl, than to get there and lose?

I'm sorry, but that is a complete losing mentality that some fans here have.
Think of it this way. If montana could play one more season, and he would lose in the superbowl, would you take it? f**k no! Montanas charm wad 4-0 in the sb, a true champion wins the big games. I could never want to have our perfect record tarnished. Anyone saying its ok to lose in the superbowl did not follow the championship niners.
Apparently you don't realize that the 49ers DON'T lose when they make it to the big game.
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Apparently you don't realize that the 49ers DON'T lose when they make it to the big game.

Yes. Remove the superbowl option from the poll. Niners can never and will never lose the superbowl.
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I say Superbowl. Rather lose in the big game than losing in the big game junior. I really could careless that they are undefeated in super bowl's.

I would rather lose in the NFC championship than lose in the SB.
Right now the prefect SB record is what distinguishes us from the Cowgirls.

I never understood the whole ' We're better than the Cowboys because we are 5-0 and they are 5-3. (Don't worry, I still tihnk we're better than the cowboys) I just feel that going to 8 super bowls and winning 5 is a little better than going to 5 and winning 5......w/e i dnot understand all u fans wanting to lose a game just so you can say we have a perfect record in the SB, makes no sense and its kinda actually frustrating me

Why get to the SuperBowl and lose? What's the point? To say you're the 2nd best team in the league? That would be debatable to say the least, because there have been many, many times when the SuperBowl loser wasn't even close to being the 2nd best team in the league. The 2002 raiders come to mind, as well as last year's Cardinals. Losing in the SuperBowl would do NOTHING but mess with the emotions of the fans on a much higher level than losing in the NFC CHampionship game.

I don't understand why people would want to go to the SuperBowl and lose. It's ridiculous. Who gives a rat's ass if we got ONE GAME further than we would have if we lost the NFC Championship game? The only thing that counts is WINNING the SuperBowl. If you don't win it, then you're just one of the 31 teams that failed. Just because you got there doesn't mean SH*T.

Dude, if we get to superbowl it shows that we're the best in the NFC.

What does that matter? We need to be the best in the entire NFL or w're just another one of the 31 teams that FAILED.

Wow, so you would rather just lose the way we've been since our last SuperBowl, than to get there and lose?

I'm sorry, but that is a complete losing mentality that some fans here have.

And wanting to get to the SuperBowl AND LOSE is not a losing mentality?

I don't see the point of getting to the SuperBowl and LOSING. If we're going to get there, we need to WIN. I understand the question is if we had to lose one game, which one would it be. My point is, it makes no damn difference because any way you look at it, YOUR TEAM STILL FAILED. Why fail on the big stage? We are the only team to ever go to the SuperBowl more than 2 times and NEVER LOSE. Why f*ck that up if you know we're going to lose no matter what?

You guys think just getting to the SuperBowl is an accomplishment. I have news for you, IT'S NOT. You have to WIN it. If we're not going to win it, then what the hell is the point of wanting to make it? You don't seem to understand that the object of getting to the SuperBowl is winning a championship. If you're not gonna win, then the fact you made it there means NOTHING. Ask Cardinals fans. Ask Eagles fans. Ask Bills fans.
Playoffs? It would be nice to go 8-8 once in awhile. Oh yeah, one other thing. If you're afraid to lose in the Super Bowl, you're not a real fan.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Think of it this way. If montana could play one more season, and he would lose in the superbowl, would you take it? f**k no! Montanas charm wad 4-0 in the sb, a true champion wins the big games. I could never want to have our perfect record tarnished. Anyone saying its ok to lose in the superbowl did not follow the championship niners.

That's what I'm thinking.
Originally posted by singfan:
Oh yeah, one other thing. If you're afraid to lose in the Super Bowl, you're not a real fan.

LAME.

How about this one: if you're OK with your team losing in the SuperBowl when your team is the SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS, you're not a real fan.
Playoffs? It would be nice to go 8-8 once in awhile. Oh yeah, one other thing. If you're afraid to lose in the Super Bowl, you're not a real fan.

i agree.

Apparently the people who think it's OK to FAIL in the SuperBowl DON'T realize that the 49ers DON'T lose when they make it to the big game.
OK i have no F****** idea why anyone would want us to make it to the super bowl and lose... wuts with that id rather loose in the first round!... We have been to 5! superbowls and NEVER LOST>> that is historic. I would hate to loose in the super bowl
Oh yeah, one other thing. If you're afraid to lose in the Super Bowl, you're not a real fan.

LAME.

How about this one: if you're OK with your team losing in the SuperBowl when your team is the SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS, you're not a real fan.

How bout, if your OK with your team losing and your team is the SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS, you're not a real fan. I don't know about you guys, but SuperBowl or not, I HATE losing.

LAME.

How bout, if your OK with your team losing and your team is the SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS, you're not a real fan. I don't know about you guys, but SuperBowl or not, I HATE losing.

I agree. But the topic is if we HAD to lose, which game would it be.

I guess people don't give a s**t about our SuperBowl history. I also don't think they understand that the LOSING team in the SuperBowl accomplished NOTHING. It's a sad era when fans of the SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS are willing to LOSE a SuperBowl just to be able to say they were in the SuperBowl that year. What a joke.

LAME.

I agree. But the topic is if we HAD to lose, which game would it be.

I guess people don't give a s**t about our SuperBowl history. I also don't think they understand that the LOSING team in the SuperBowl accomplished NOTHING. It's a sad era when fans of the SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS are willing to LOSE a SuperBowl just to be able to say they were in the SuperBowl that year. What a joke.

Some people just don't understand sports well enough I guess. Their loss...
Share 49ersWebzone