There are 224 users in the forums

Vic answered my question about Hill vs Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Chief
  • Veteran
http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/331

Why is it even a question of who should be the 49ers starting QB? Shaun Hill would of finished with over 4000 yards and close to 30 TD's if he started the whole season. He had a better QB rating then Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb, Jay Cutler and even Big Ben.

It's a question because he is not an accomplished quarterback. Nor is Alex Smith. When you're dealing with mostly unproven players at that position, you're going to hear people express doubts. That's just a fact of NFL life. But it doesn't mean he can't have the success you projected. It simply means that all of the statistical projection you do won't change the fact that he is NOT Eli Manning or Donovan McNabb or Jay Cutler or even Ben Roethlisberger. The proof is in the proving.
Is Hill a legit starting caliber QB?
Is Vernon Davis a bust?
Is Alex Smith a bust?
Was Singletary the wrong choice for HC?

What percentage of threads revolve around these questions?

EVERY thread seems to devolve into arguments about one or more of these questions. I hope they are all answered this year.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Is Vernon Davis a bust?
Is Alex Smith a bust?

EVERY thread seems to devolve into arguments about one or more of these questions. I hope they are all answered this year.

Well this is Niner talk and there is not that much more to talk about.
  • NinersPC
  • Info N/A
Good to hear that your question got answered, but saying that Hill had a higher QB rating solidifies the argument that QB ratings don't tell the whole story. Of the aforementioned QBs, Manning and Roethlisberger won the SB, McNabb has been to one, and the biggest loser of the group, Cutler, is a ProBowler. I'm pretty sure if any of these QBs were on 49ers, there would be no QB competition.
Originally posted by NinersPC:
Good to hear that your question got answered, but saying that Hill had a higher QB rating solidifies the argument that QB ratings don't tell the whole story. Of the aforementioned QBs, Manning and Roethlisberger won the SB, McNabb has been to one, and the biggest loser of the group, Cutler, is a ProBowler. I'm pretty sure if any of these QBs were on 49ers, there would be no QB competition.

Personally i don't think they tell any of the story just look at wins, completion percentage, and td's vs. int's. figuring out the QB rating system is like figuring out the BCS math formula.
Originally posted by Chief:
Is Vernon Davis a bust?
Is Alex Smith a bust?

hehe...true dat...

Come to think of it, if all those questions are answered we won't have anything to talk about NEXT off-season!

Originally posted by Chief:
Is Vernon Davis a bust?
Is Alex Smith a bust?

hehe...true dat...

Come to think of it, if all those questions are answered we won't have anything to talk about NEXT off-season!

There will always be something to talk about lol! If this gets cleared and we figure out the qb to lead the team, we would move on to future upgrades, and draft picks! It will never end
Hill has proven to be a winner when given the shot. He needs the opportunity to start for a whole season to see if he will continue to shine over a whole season. Smith has been given that opportunity several times. Even JT was given the shot before Hill. You can look at as: Let Hill loose the job or Let Hill prove himself. But give the guy a shot from the start!

Personally, I don't care about the numbers.

"I want Winners!"
Share 49ersWebzone