There are 296 users in the forums

2010 (and beyond) starting RT?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

2010 (and beyond) starting RT?

There are two "IF's"
1. IF Marvel Smith remains healthy, he should be the favorite for the spot
2. IF Alex Boone stays sober, he has a good chance of being our RT of the future

Adam Snyder is a guy who stays healthy (for the most part), works hard, has been on the team for a long time, and has incredible versatility. He's the best backup you can have (due to this versatility), but still very much so unproven as a starter. Personally I would love to see him succeed as our future starter. I don't know if he can, but I would like him to.

Marvel Smith? It's hard for me to get excited about a big OT with tons of talent, but a history of injuries. Did people forget JJ that quickly? I mean that guy was something else. I remember a friend of mine laughed before our season started saying that Jennings will be on the IR after 4 games. He didn't even last that long . Not saying MS is JJ, but no reason to believe a guy will suddenly just get healthy and stay that way.

Alex Boone is another guy I would like to see succeed. A big bodied, dominant run blocker with perhaps more big game (and overall) experience than any other rookie OT in the league. In fact, I don't know if rookies ever come out of college with more experience at the position than Boone. This guy is built for what we need at RT, but his game--and his character--is not where it needs to be in order to be the needed impact, or at least consistent, player we need.

Chilor Rachal is a guy who should not be playing RT. Plain and Simple. I noted his name because people talk about him at that spot, but in my opinion its a terrible idea, and WILL NOT happen.

A Draft Pick chosen late will have little chance starting any time soon, and I'm against spending an early pick on an OT. We need DEFENSE! And even a LG. Pass Rush, NT?, FS, SS, and CB should all be on our radar. No need to spend another early pick on O-line.

What FAs are out there?
  • IEA49er
  • Info N/A
Next years draft is going to loaded with great RT's.
Trading this year 2nd for a 1st next year is really going to pay off.
10-15 S.Capers , 15-25 C.Black and 25-32 S.Young all three of this players could step in and start on day 1.
I would expect this to be taken care of in the draft if no one steps up this year
we should choose a S and OT with our 2 first round picks of next years draft.

S=Tayler Mays
Originally posted by NorCal49er:

S=Tayler Mays

You should really look at the stats for college safeties before you let the west coast bias blind you to the fact that there is a better safety playing at the University of Tennessee.Eric Berry is a superior safety and has the numbers to prove it,just look it up and you will see the truth.Don't get me wrong if Berry were already gone when we pick,I would be okay with Mays,but if both are there then we need Berry much more,he is a more complete safety and much better at creating turnovers.

Eric Berry

Taylor Mays

Check out the stats and you will see who is the better choice for us,not that either would be a bad choice,they are the two best safeties in the country hands down.One other advantage Berry has is that he can play any of the DB positions equally well.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Jul 3, 2009 at 12:31 PM ]
One of our next years 1st Round draft picks
  • GoatRider
  • Info N/A
Boone has the potential to be but the future RT is probably playing in the SEC right now. This team has shown it prefers to build the line through the draft. Especially the interior line as they haven't even resigned their own free agents there. Teams have been valuing their tackles almost on equal standing. There just won't be many FA players available without some baggage.
  • GoatRider
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

S=Tayler Mays

You should really look at the stats for college safeties before you let the west coast bias blind you to the fact that there is a better safety playing at the University of Tennessee.Eric Berry is a superior safety and has the numbers to prove it,just look it up and you will see the truth.Don't get me wrong if Berry were already gone when we pick,I would be okay with Mays,but if both are there then we need Berry much more,he is a more complete safety and much better at creating turnovers.

Eric Berry

Taylor Mays

Check out the stats and you will see who is the better choice for us,not that either would be a bad choice,they are the two best safeties in the country hands down.One other advantage Berry has is that he can play any of the DB positions equally well.

Berry's the man. A little small, so he won't get the push he should at the draft but he's a gamer. More skill than Mays.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

S=Tayler Mays

Eric Berry

Taylor Mays

don't kid yourself, berry's not terrible in man to man, but I honestly can't see him being anywhere near the caliber of a CB that he would be as a safety.
Chilo shouldn't even be an option, the guy is our present and future RG.

RT with 1st draft pick (round 1)
Tebow with 2nd draft pick(round 1)
MLB/DB with 3rd draft pick(round 2)
who knows
yea wasnt to sure why chilo was on that list BUT.. i do like alex boon and Adam Snyder alot... they both have alot of promise
Originally posted by Jax49er:

we wont improve our team at all like that
1a ig goldston works out Cb preferably haren (florada) if not then berry/mays

1b either OLB or a NT

2 OLB or NT

3 RT (not a need position we have plenty of capable backups if smith gets injured)
Originally posted by Jax49er:

Simply great to such confidence in our QB's right now. Brilliant!
Share 49ersWebzone