There are 169 users in the forums

Countdown to 1st Pre-Season game:IT'S GAME DAY!!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Mike McCarthy was a decent choice (not my preference) for OC. His resume speaks for itself.

Norv Turner was 58-82-1 as a HC when we hired him as OC. At the time it looked like a great move and no one could forsee him getting another HC'ing gig the following year given his previous track record as a HC.

Hostler was hired days before FA started and we had little time to work with to find a replacement for Norv before the start of FA....or would you have preferred we go into FA (and the weeks leading up to the draft) with no OC ? An uncertainty in the offensive system your going to run is not very appealing to any FA's your looking to sign and does nothing to help with shaping your draft board.

Martz was a fine hire. Again previous track record speaks for itself. I still think it was in our best interest to keep him for at least another year and build around his system instead of trying to find an OC who fits a defensive minded HC's ideology. The offensive stability wouldn't have hurt either.

Mccarthy: Can you do any worse than last? He may have had a poor unit to work with, but anyone else would have a hard time doing worse. "In 2005, McCarthy served as offensive coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers; his unit, beset by injuries and led by a rookie quarterback (top draft pick Alex Smith), finished the season ranked last in the NFL in points scored and yards gained."

Turner: I'll give you that one. Good choice and difficult to anticipate his loss the following year.

Hostler: While a difficult spot to be in, you cannot do worse than Hostler. You could argue that a high school coach, a fan, or a nursing home patient could have called plays better. "Midway into the 2007 season, the 49ers' offense was ranked last in the National Football League, and the 49ers' rushing offense, ranked 6th the previous year, was ranked near the bottom of the league after eight games under Hostler's direction.[4] Under Hostlers' direction, the 49ers fell behind every team in the league in the categories of total offense, yards passing, and yards per play"

Martz: Nolan could have done worse here, as he proved with 2 out of 3 of his previous OC choices. At least they made it out of the cellar. "San Francisco ranks 23rd out of 32 teams in points scored, 24th in total yards, 13th in passing yards per game and 22nd in net passing yards per attempt, which does represent an improvement over 2007 (when SF ranked dead last in all 3 categories), but they rank 26th in rushing yards & last in total turnovers"

I can see what you are saying, but in hindsight Nolan would need to try hard to put together a worse offense (starting with his OC's) in 3 out of 4 seasons.
  • DJD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CMBieschke:
I can't wait to see Denver's DB's play 10 yards from our WR's.

Champ Bailey is no doubt just 'loving' the Nolan era in Denver.
Originally posted by Nuns:
Mike McCarthy was a decent choice (not my preference) for OC. His resume speaks for itself.

Norv Turner was 58-82-1 as a HC when we hired him as OC. At the time it looked like a great move and no one could forsee him getting another HC'ing gig the following year given his previous track record as a HC.

Hostler was hired days before FA started and we had little time to work with to find a replacement for Norv before the start of FA....or would you have preferred we go into FA (and the weeks leading up to the draft) with no OC ? An uncertainty in the offensive system your going to run is not very appealing to any FA's your looking to sign and does nothing to help with shaping your draft board.

Martz was a fine hire. Again previous track record speaks for itself. I still think it was in our best interest to keep him for at least another year and build around his system instead of trying to find an OC who fits a defensive minded HC's ideology. The offensive stability wouldn't have hurt either.

Mccarthy: Can you do any worse than last? He may have had a poor unit to work with, but anyone else would have a hard time doing worse. "In 2005, McCarthy served as offensive coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers; his unit, beset by injuries and led by a rookie quarterback (top draft pick Alex Smith), finished the season ranked last in the NFL in points scored and yards gained."

Turner: I'll give you that one. Good choice and difficult to anticipate his loss the following year.

Hostler: While a difficult spot to be in, you cannot do worse than Hostler. You could argue that a high school coach, a fan, or a nursing home patient could have called plays better. "Midway into the 2007 season, the 49ers' offense was ranked last in the National Football League, and the 49ers' rushing offense, ranked 6th the previous year, was ranked near the bottom of the league after eight games under Hostler's direction.[4] Under Hostlers' direction, the 49ers fell behind every team in the league in the categories of total offense, yards passing, and yards per play"

Martz: Nolan could have done worse here, as he proved with 2 out of 3 of his previous OC choices. At least they made it out of the cellar. "San Francisco ranks 23rd out of 32 teams in points scored, 24th in total yards, 13th in passing yards per game and 22nd in net passing yards per attempt, which does represent an improvement over 2007 (when SF ranked dead last in all 3 categories), but they rank 26th in rushing yards & last in total turnovers"

I can see what you are saying, but in hindsight Nolan would need to try hard to put together a worse offense (starting with his OC's) in 3 out of 4 seasons.

There is no excuse for Hostler.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickSh49:

At that very time of year, days away from the start FA if you go outside the organization the OC has little time to familiarize himself with the roster, have his playbook updated/modified and prep for the upcoming OTA (which was a little over 2 weeks after Hos was named OC.

Hostler may not have been the best choice in hindsight, perhaps Hoener or Sully should have been given the job in place but we never will know if they would have fared any better. IMHO Nolan's biggest mistake in 2007 was not the promoting of Hos to OC but was not turning over play calling duties to Sully or Hoener (who both have been OC's at some point in their careers) by midseason when it was painfully obvious Hos was doing a good job at calling the plays.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

At that very time of year, days away from the start FA if you go outside the organization the OC has little time to familiarize himself with the roster, have his playbook updated/modified and prep for the upcoming OTA (which was a little over 2 weeks after Hos was named OC.

Hostler may not have been the best choice in hindsight, perhaps Hoener or Sully should have been given the job in place but we never will know if they would have fared any better. IMHO Nolan's biggest mistake in 2007 was not the promoting of Hos to OC but was not turning over play calling duties to Sully or Hoener (who both have been OC's at some point in their careers) by midseason when it was painfully obvious Hos was doing a good job at calling the plays.

Nolan was impressed by Hostlers making game plans for every game even before he was named OC. I believe this is something Nolan used to do before he became a DC and I believe that is what tipped the balance in Hostler's favor.
I was just reading the ticker on NFLN and it said that the Den @ SF preseason game will be aired live on NFL Network.
cool 2 of my best friends are Broncos fans and they just don't believe how lame Nolan is and i can't wait for them to see it in living color.
Originally posted by lamontb:
cool 2 of my best friends are Broncos fans and they just don't believe how lame Nolan is and i can't wait for them to see it in living color.

Their defense was getting shredded last year, so I doubt they'll be calling for his head. In fact, if we don't manage to score more than 28 points against em they'll probably hop straight onto the Nolan bandwagon.
[ Edited by Moonshae_D on Jul 2, 2009 at 9:06 AM ]
Originally posted by NJNiner:
I was just reading the ticker on NFLN and it said that the Den @ SF preseason game will be aired live on NFL Network.

Woohoooo! We get very few 49ers games here in Texas so this will be a real treat.
Nolan's presser after the game:

Nolan: "We did some good things and bad things. Look, I'm sore, he's sore, we're all sore. We just gotta do some better things. And adjustment here and there should take care of the problems. The bottom line is we didnt win. But its also important to note that between the half way point between the 3rd quarter and 3 min left in the 4th..we scored 14 points and our defense only gave up 92 yards."

Press: "But Mr. Nolan, the 49ers put in their 3rd stringers..."

Nolan: "That may very well be the case."

Press:"....."

Nolan: "Look everyone is 3rd string in one way or another. Life works itself out like that sometimes. You take things in stride."

Press: "....."

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Nolan's presser after the game:

Nolan: "We did some good things and bad things. Look, I'm sore, he's sore, we're all sore. We just gotta do some better things. And adjustment here and there should take care of the problems. The bottom line is we didnt win. But its also important to note that between the half way point between the 3rd quarter and 3 min left in the 4th..we scored 14 points and our defense only gave up 92 yards."

Press: "But Mr. Nolan, the 49ers put in their 3rd stringers..."

Nolan: "That may very well be the case."

Press:"....."

Nolan: "Look everyone is 3rd string in one way or another. Life works itself out like that sometimes. You take things in stride."

Press: "....."

Funny stuff, but way too coherent to be an accurate impersonation of Denver's new DC.
first preseason game is august 9 buffalo vs tennessee, f**k i can't wait for that, i need nfl football
  • Tyler82
  • Info N/A
Death to Nowins Denver Defense so we can at the bull$*t he has their D doing
Can't wait for this game just to see the uniforms on the field for the first time.
Originally posted by linkboy:
Can't wait for this game just to see the uniforms on the field for the first time.

ohhhhh yeaaaaahhhh forgot about that! That will be sweet indeed!
Share 49ersWebzone