There are 206 users in the forums

Vic Carucci thinks poorly of Josh Morgan?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Chief
  • Veteran
"5. San Francisco 49ers: First, they have to find a quarterback. But regardless of whether Alex Smith or Shaun Hill fills the spot, the 49ers absolutely have to find a go-to target, and given the other possibilities -- Josh Morgan and Isaac Bruce -- it is hard to imagine anyone besides first-rounder Michael Crabtree in that role.

Although coach Mike Singletary would love to have a power-oriented scheme that leans heavily on the running of Frank Gore (with relief from third-round pick Glen Coffee), the Niners made Crabtree the 10th overall pick because they saw him as the game-changer their offense didn't have. They also are counting on him to help their unaccomplished candidates to start at quarterback deliver more than they could without him.
"
Link

Can someone help me make sense of that comment?

[ Edited by Chief on Jun 25, 2009 at 08:52:02 ]
What's so hard to understand We all think Morgan will be good but it's not like he lit it up out there last year to where these national guys are gonna say he's a legit game changing WR.
I think he means that he only sees one of these three as a viable "go to" option that will be able to emerge out of our entire WR corps.
Originally posted by Chief:
"5. San Francisco 49ers: First, they have to find a quarterback. But regardless of whether Alex Smith or Shaun Hill fills the spot, the 49ers absolutely have to find a go-to target, and given the other possibilities -- Josh Morgan and Isaac Bruce -- it is hard to imagine anyone besides first-rounder Michael Crabtree in that role.

Although coach Mike Singletary would love to have a power-oriented scheme that leans heavily on the running of Frank Gore (with relief from third-round pick Glen Coffee), the Niners made Crabtree the 10th overall pick because they saw him as the game-changer their offense didn't have. They also are counting on him to help their unaccomplished candidates to start at quarterback deliver more than they could without him.
"
Link

If Vic thinks that Crabs, as a rookie, will have more of an offensive impact than Morgan, now in his second year, I disagree.
He's saying that he thinks Bruce is past his prime and Morgan will not be a true #1 receiver. The only person he sees on the team that could be a true #1 is Crabs...

"
Link

Josh Morgan has a lot of promise, but until he has five to ten 100 yard games next season, people won't take notice.
Originally posted by lamontb:
What's so hard to understand We all think Morgan will be good but it's not like he lit it up out there last year to where these national guys are gonna say he's a legit game changing WR.

Totally agree.

I like Morgan, but I didn't see last year anything that made me think he was the next great 49ers WR.

I would LOVE to be wrong, but I just didn't see it last year. He rarely got much separation and he seems to lumber a bit when he runs. He isn't very smooth.

He did make some good catches in traffic, but I think the jury is very much still out on him.
I have supreme confidence in Morgan and feel he will do very well this season. That being said though, I agree with everyone on why Carrucci wrote this. He's largely unproven. It makes sense. I just have a feeling Morgan will do well based on what I've seen from him. I love the guy's potential and attitude.
yea, thats rediculuos. morgan was a 6th round pick playing as good as a 1st rounder. he got sick in the beginning, and injured in the middle. if that didnt happen, he would have most likely got around 800 yards. morgan is a stud. i cant wait until 2010 when our starting wrs are morgan and crabtree. omg, it will be awesome.
Josh will make them stfu and eat crap.

"
Link

Everyone wants to argue that Morgan didn't do enough last year to establish himself as a go to guy but Crabtree has not established himself at all yet. His college stats don't mean squat anymore and with the foot injury I wouldn't expect to see him fill the "GO-TO" guy role until at least part way through the season unless he comes out and literally has the best training camp any rookie has ever had.
he's right.

he was impressive in preseason last year and was marginal at best during the regular season.
Originally posted by billybonka:
he's right.

he was impressive in preseason last year and was marginal at best during the regular season.
Vic is a moron. Anyone that watches all 9er games could see in his rookie year he had some major talent. Alot of us knew when he was drafted that he would or could be something special. I am pretty sure we will all see that this year in a pretty big way.
This team has not had a wide receiver that scared other teams since T.O. departed. Does that make sense?
Share 49ersWebzone