There are 236 users in the forums

Arguments for Alex Smith and Shaun Hill to Start

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Nope, no Alex starter epiphanies for Coach Sing.

Again, Hill has made plays even when the duck come flying out. He's been able to engineer drives and make plays. Sure, not every time, but enough to place us in a situation to win.
WTF is wrong with that Alex supporters??? Our QB is Shaun Hill!

Get over it.

Brought to you by: Nabisco, Bank of America, a pro-Alex fan, and the number 5!

Alex stayed to help Crabtree acclimate to the offense quickly. He's just a high character guy whose selflessness punctuates what it is to be a teammate. Seriously, cool!

I really had hoped Hill would stay, but I am sure that dude needs a break. Hey, some do and some don't. I just like the fact that Alex took initiative and stayed.

MD's great post says it succinctly. Good job

Based on the few media snippets it looks like this is still Hill's team so lets move on...um k?

Not really. If you are in the bottom of the NFL in 3rd down % and one of the worst teams on O, that means the job is not getting done. When the L's pile up because the D doesn't score and the O is only scoring 10 to 14 points a game, a change will be made. Hill will not start every game this season. If he does, throw this in my face and let me know about it.

Does injury count? Because playing behind this line will surely give Alex his chance.
No, injury doesn't count.

People say he doesn't throw picks. He doesn't throw picks because he doesn't take chances on 3rd down. that is why we are 1st in 3 and outs because he doesn't want to throw a rainbow and get it picked off, he would rather we punt. he plays not to mess up, he doesn't play to make plays. The 1st TD to Davis in the Vikings game, he threw a pick on a free play in the endzone, good thing he got another chance.
Originally posted by brhokla:
I just think with the crappy line play we are having we need a QB with some speed, that's athletic and can roll out of the pocket. Smith can cut loose and run, open the run game more for Gore and buy more time for the WR's by rolling out of the pocket. I think we see less teams stacking the line with Smith in then we see with Hill in. The deep ball is something they don't have to worry about with Hill but they would with Smith. It would absolutely help with RUNNING THE BALL..... THINK ABOUT IT!

Rolling out only helps when you can successfully run the ball. Smith's athletic ability has always been vastly overratted. I remember when he came in to the league the players were saying they believed Rattay was faster and threw the ball better. When you have the line break down the way this one does you have two choices. Throw interceptions or take a sack. I chose the latter.

Again, Hill has made plays even when the duck come flying out. He's been able to engineer drives and make plays. Sure, not every time, but enough to place us in a situation to win.

Get over it.

Alex stayed to help Crabtree acclimate to the offense quickly. He's just a high character guy whose selflessness punctuates what it is to be a teammate. Seriously, cool!

I really had hoped Hill would stay, but I am sure that dude needs a break. Hey, some do and some don't. I just like the fact that Alex took initiative and stayed.

Based on the few media snippets it looks like this is still Hill's team so lets move on...um k?

Not really. If you are in the bottom of the NFL in 3rd down % and one of the worst teams on O, that means the job is not getting done. When the L's pile up because the D doesn't score and the O is only scoring 10 to 14 points a game, a change will be made. Hill will not start every game this season. If he does, throw this in my face and let me know about it.

WTH you mean "not really"? And I wasn't arguing the point of our offensive team's performance. I was saying that Hill makes plays.

So the TD passes to Vernon were not "plays" by Hill?
The first downs generated during our fourth quarter come backs at AZ and Minny were not plays either?

C'mon now.

Again, I didn't say Hill does it all the time, but he does make plays on occassion. And on occassion, Hill brings us back from deficits not only this year, but last year too.

So I don't get the "not really" comment, but you are entitled to your interpretation.

As far as the offense, that's another thread to bombard.

Get over it.

Does injury count? Because playing behind this line will surely give Alex his chance.

People say he doesn't throw picks. He doesn't throw picks because he doesn't take chances on 3rd down. that is why we are 1st in 3 and outs because he doesn't want to throw a rainbow and get it picked off, he would rather we punt. he plays not to mess up, he doesn't play to make plays. The 1st TD to Davis in the Vikings game, he threw a pick on a free play in the endzone, good thing he got another chance.

Or maybe he knows that throwing interceptions will land him a spot on the bench next to Alex.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

Get over it.

WTH you mean "not really"? And I wasn't arguing the point of our offensive team's performance. I was saying that Hill makes plays.

The first downs generated during our fourth quarter come backs at AZ and Minny were not plays either?

C'mon now.

Again, I didn't say Hill does it all the time, but he does make plays on occassion. And on occassion, Hill brings us back from deficits not only this year, but last year too.

So I don't get the "not really" comment, but you are entitled to your interpretation.

He is the reason the offense sucks. Teams know he can't really throw and are willing to give him the 4 or 5 plays that he makes a game and 1 TD he may throw. They put 8 and 9 in the box and tell hill to beat them. Hill is far from the reason we won 3 games.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

Get over it.

Or maybe he knows that throwing interceptions will land him a spot on the bench next to Alex.
Thats a good way to keep the D on the fiels all day. He needs to take chances on 3rd down. If we keep this up we will not make the playoffs. The rankings on O don't lie and a bottom 5 team will not make the playoffs.
Originally posted by dobophile:

This makes me sad.
For the record I'm not a fan of either QB and I think next year's draft is our best bet for QB.

One thing to keep is the past two years Hill has come in late in the season so he's actually had more time to digest the playbook than say your stater for the season. It's sorta a moot point anyways as the only season Smith and Hill overlap is the 07 season when Smith got hurt early.

For the most part Smith is an unknown quantity in the first place. He's only had one full season and other than that he really hasn't played since 06.

So there is really no evidence or stats either way to say if he would do better than old Alex or do the same or worse than old Alex.

The only thing we have to suggest that he would do better than old Alex is from the beat writers is that it's been the best he's ever thrown and that he's show a little more swagger in his step.

On the other hand in his limited preseason action he didn't look stellar but than you have to wonder if some of that was due from it being his first action in two years.

It seemed like Smith was steadily improving based on what the writers have said but the big question is has Smith been continuing to improve since we last seen him play against the Raiders?

At any rate I think Hill should still be the starter and if he falls on his face against the Texans than I would seriously start to consider Smith.

One thing to add that even though our OL isn't great Aaron Rodgers plays behind a far worse OL yet he's still able to put up good numbers so I don't completely buy that all our our woes are completely on the OL.

Get over it.

C'mon now.

He is the reason the offense sucks. Teams know he can't really throw and are willing to give him the 4 or 5 plays that he makes a game and 1 TD he may throw. They put 8 and 9 in the box and tell hill to beat them. Hill is far from the reason we won 3 games.

Teams are not stacking the box on us. They are beating our linemen with 6 guys. Hill does deserve some blame but not before everyone else.

Blame for low rated offense:

1. Line can't run or pass block
2. The best running backs can make something out of nothing. It's not happening this year. Without a running game you lose the ablity to run play action.
3. Raye. Play calling. When you constantly call a run up the middle for two yards, you deserve some of the blame.
4. Hill/Receivers. Either they are not getting open or Hill is not finding them. But it is hard to tell since the line doesn't hold their blocks very long. See problem #1.

Get over it.

C'mon now.

That's an entirely different argument, bud, in which I disagree because it is not all on him as evidenced by the millions of posts to the fact which I don't need to rehash.

My argument is that Hill does make plays. In small amounts or not, he does make them.

We will agree to disagree, my Niner bro.

Peace.

PS See, just below this post is another to prove my point concerning the incorrect labeling that the abyssal ranking in O is due to just Shaun Hill. And that is just one part of the whole equation.

Thanks Max.

[ Edited by ninertico on Oct 14, 2009 at 15:28:45 ]

Get over it.

C'mon now.

when your run game averages 2 yards a clip, it sets everything up for failure! Oline is the cause for most of the struggles, not Hill!
Shaun Hill wins games! Period!
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

I WANT WINNERS
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by maximill15:

Get over it.

C'mon now.

when your run game averages 2 yards a clip, it sets everything up for failure! Oline is the cause for most of the struggles, not Hill!

I agree. The line is not getiing it done in the run game nor the pass game.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

So I guess you didn't watch football last week?
Share 49ersWebzone