LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

Arguments for Alex Smith and Shaun Hill to Start

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
What is really funny is how people are making excuses for Hills poor performance that they called alexcuses when applied to Smith. If you are going to criticize one for something, it should also apply to the other, right? I expected more from Hill, I was very happy with the way he played last year other than the St. Louis game @ St. Louis. Now he seems to have regressed, no pocket presence, poor accuracy, under throwing dump offs...etc. Then these people have the nerve to criticize anyone that has enough depth of thought to realize that the teams Smith played on weren't nearly as good as the one Hill has been sucking it up on. Then we get the certified "football geniuses" that want to use Flacco/Ryan/Sanchez as a measuring stick, like the 2005 Niners roster had anywhere near the talent as either the Ravens/Falcons or the Jets. It is this kind of ignorance that makes these peoples arguments not only invalid, but laughable.

THANK YOU!!!

[ Edited by dirtysouthniner on Oct 14, 2009 at 14:34:16 ]

Question: Is Hill being “a little sore” similar to his arm needing some rest last training camp? Or am I reading too much into this situation and he really did need a break?

My response: There's no QB controversy in Singletary's mind. Shaun Hill is the starter. If there were any doubt, he would have found some play time for Smith in the blowout loss to the Falcons.

There were few complaints about Hill's play in the first four games
. If Singletary is ready to make changes based on the Falcons game, probably Shawntae Spencer and Patrick Willis would be the only players to remain as starters.

Yet we still can't let this subject go.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

Smith has a gun.
Originally posted by pd24:

Smith has a gun.

So does Russell.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:

Smith has a gun.

So does Russell.

He could be better than Hill also.
Watching this video just makes me feel even more like we need Smith in at QB. The kid had all you Na Sayers on his Nuts in 06 and he had less talent around him then. I like that he has an arm and can scramble well. With this O-Line, we need a QB that rolls out left or right to give us a second or two more! THINK ABOUT IT. Make things happen.

The kid has a good arm and it's sitting on the bench going to waste! Hill cannot make half the throws Alex makes in that video nor can Hill make half those plays.

Smith has a gun.

And wheels. Hills ugly wide leg squat stance probably puts him at 5'9" or lower in the pocket, combined with his side arm release = lots of tipped balls this season. It's no wonder why he always gets swallowed up by collapsing pockets.

[ Edited by Mospeed on Oct 14, 2009 at 14:51:02 ]
Nope, no Alex starter epiphanies for Coach Sing.

Again, Hill has made plays even when the duck come flying out. He's been able to engineer drives and make plays. Sure, not every time, but enough to place us in a situation to win.

WTF is wrong with that Alex supporters??? Our QB is Shaun Hill!

Get over it.

Brought to you by: Nabisco, Bank of America, a pro-Alex fan, and the number 5!

Alex stayed to help Crabtree acclimate to the offense quickly. He's just a high character guy whose selflessness punctuates what it is to be a teammate. Seriously, cool!

I really had hoped Hill would stay, but I am sure that dude needs a break. Hey, some do and some don't. I just like the fact that Alex took initiative and stayed.

MD's great post says it succinctly. Good job

Based on the few media snippets it looks like this is still Hill's team so lets move on...um k?

Originally posted by dobophile:
Smith's athleticism and arm + Hill's craftiness and poise = halfway decent starting QB

we should mate them
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninertico:

Again, Hill has made plays even when the duck come flying out. He's been able to engineer drives and make plays. Sure, not every time, but enough to place us in a situation to win.

Get over it.

Alex stayed to help Crabtree acclimate to the offense quickly. He's just a high character guy whose selflessness punctuates what it is to be a teammate. Seriously, cool!

I really had hoped Hill would stay, but I am sure that dude needs a break. Hey, some do and some don't. I just like the fact that Alex took initiative and stayed.

Based on the few media snippets it looks like this is still Hill's team so lets move on...um k?

Not really. If you are in the bottom of the NFL in 3rd down % and one of the worst teams on O, that means the job is not getting done. When the L's pile up because the D doesn't score and the O is only scoring 10 to 14 points a game, a change will be made. Hill will not start every game this season. If he does, throw this in my face and let me know about it.
Hill will not start every game this season. If he does, throw this in my face and let me know about it.

But but, I don't want to do that...
Originally posted by ninertico:

Get over it.

Not really. If you are in the bottom of the NFL in 3rd down % and one of the worst teams on O, that means the job is not getting done. When the L's pile up because the D doesn't score and the O is only scoring 10 to 14 points a game, a change will be made. Hill will not start every game this season. If he does, throw this in my face and let me know about it.

Does injury count? Because playing behind this line will surely give Alex his chance.
I just think with the crappy line play we are having we need a QB with some speed, that's athletic and can roll out of the pocket. Smith can cut loose and run, open the run game more for Gore and buy more time for the WR's by rolling out of the pocket. I think we see less teams stacking the line with Smith in then we see with Hill in. The deep ball is something they don't have to worry about with Hill but they would with Smith. It would absolutely help with RUNNING THE BALL..... THINK ABOUT IT!
Share 49ersWebzone