There are 195 users in the forums

Who Would You Say Michael Crabtree Compares to in the NFL?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by scopur49er:
Originally posted by PTulini:
In my opinion, that is who I think of when I watch Michael Crabtree highlights. I know we have heard people say he is like a cross between T.O. and Steve Smith, but I see flashes of Wes Welker too!

I think of Welker more as a reliable possession reciever - the kind of guy who will always be open on 3rd downs to help you pick up a first.

Crabtree, based on highlights I've seen and his playing style, is probably more in the mold of a big-play reciever but he also has range and good hands.

Tough to say really. How he produces will depend a lot on the type of reciever they line up opposite him. If it's a speedy, stretch-the-field kind of guy then Crabtree might be used more like Wes Welker.

Exactly hard to say what Crabs will be in the league but form watchign college highlights I don't see him resembling Welker at all.

I agree. I think there really is no comparison to Crabtree and Welker. I think a much better comparison would be Steve Smith and Wes Welker.

Steve Smith would be DEEPLY offended by this comparison! There's NO comparison between the two!

Crabtree is more in the mold of Torry Holt, similar size, speed and route running!
wes welker reminds me of Don Bebe from buffalo. if crabtree plays the way he did in college he reminds me of (it kills me to say this but it does remind me of him) michael irvin! a reciever that will throw his body out for each catch and fight for that extra yard! when crabtree caught the ball against texas from 5 yards out and made that touchdown. it reminded me of michael irvins catch against the bills in the superbowl!
Can't really put my finger on it. It's not as black and white as originally thought.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
The only similarity is that they went to TTU. I don't think they could be any more different. Welker is quick and fairly fast, Crabtree is more physical, battle for the ball type.
welker is a quick zip in zip out little guy. Crabtree...well, he single handedly beat my beloved HOrns and kept them out of the BCS title. He BETTER be great...and i think he will be. Watching that kid in college was like watching a piece of flypaper...everything stuck to him. Amazing hands, and somehow he always got open. The getting open part in the nfl is the thing that worries me. Don't know if he will or not, but if he does, we will be golden.
I like the comparison to Irvin - tall, long arms, strong, fearless in traffic, etc. As much as I hate the Cowboys, you've got to give Michael Irvin his due. He was a very, very good receiver. If Crabtree ends up being like Irvin, we're in luck.

In fact, this team is starting to look a little like those early 90's Cowboys, especially from the O-line standpoint.
I can't remember where I read it, but I remember reading a statistic that said, Michael Crabtree caught an amazing 94% of all passes thrown his way!
I can't remember where I read it, but I remember reading a statistic that said, Michael Crabtree caught an amazing 94% of all passes thrown his way!

his hands are made of Velcro
Wes Welker? hahaha

Wes Welker?
Now, that is funny stuff.

P.S. I would also include that dogs are like cats, Jews are like Arabs, tuberculosis is like a hangnail, and ground beef is like a turnip.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jun 18, 2009 at 19:55:43 ]
Oh forget it!!! Well, who would you compare Michael Crabtree to?
dude! we havent even seen him play in the NFL stop having sum gay love for him
I know we have heard people say he is like a cross between T.O. and Steve Smith, but I see flashes of Wes Welker too! Maybe also Brandon Marshall... or Andre Johnson!
?

I think people see crabs as much faster then he really is.

I would say chris carter or wayne crebet.

he does not have the stride of carter but he has shown catch in traffic ability.
I am rooting for Cris Carter
Share 49ersWebzone