LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

OFFENSIVE LINE PLAY: Most Important

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
If all you watch is the ball, then you have missed an ongoing weakness. It was the reason the team spent two high draft choices on OL last year. IMO, OL has been a close second to QB and was VERY often the reason QB play was not better.

I know the OL is not that good but I am sorry there are more productive QBs in the league than Alex Smith who have worse offensive lines than he does.
[ Edited by RichmondPete on Aug 12, 2011 at 11:17 AM ]
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
A bad o line will ruin a young qb, it all starts up front Pete, you should know that.

I do know that. Alex Smith doesn't play consistently well whether hes had time or not. The line has at least been good enough to allow 4 concecutive 1000 seasons for their starting running back. The QB can make a OL look as bad in passprotection as the OL can make a QB look bad in the pocket.

Wrong. A line can be good in Run Blocking, but be bad Pass Blocking. Just look at Anthony Davis last year.

If a QB is getting crushed back there, its not because he's making the line look bad.
If all you watch is the ball, then you have missed an ongoing weakness. It was the reason the team spent two high draft choices on OL last year. IMO, OL has been a close second to QB and was VERY often the reason QB play was not better.

I know the OL is not that good but I am sorry there are more productive QBs in the league than Alex Smith who have worse offensive lines than he does.

Yes. Agreed. The problems aren't ALL the O-Line. They also aren't ALL Alex Smith.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Yes, Davis struggled last year (particularly agains Chris Long), but is really "common knowledge" that Rachal struggles, or is that just what peeps in the zone have been regurgitating because its popular opinion?

I kinda think its the latter. I remember Justin Smiley and David Baas getting beaten like a drum when playing guard, but I don't remember to many instances of Rachal getting beaten that badly. I keep hearing on the zone about how bad he is, but I don't remember seeing to many plays where he was the guy that didn't make the block or he was the guy who gave up the sack.

I think its just become popular to bash him.

i definitely watched chilo whiff on a lot of blocks last year. now to be fair he did have to play next to a rookie and baas who wasnt a rookie but he was in his first year of starting at center after the heitman injury. so he does deserve a little bit of slack in that regard. i mean honestly how good could he really look being put in that situation? but this year i will keep a close eye on his pass protection because lets face it, we dont need confirmation about his run blocking, he can beast.
[ Edited by OptimusPrime52 on Aug 12, 2011 at 11:20 AM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I do know that. Alex Smith doesn't play consistently well whether hes had time or not. The line has at least been good enough to allow 4 concecutive 1000 seasons for their starting running back. The QB can make a OL look as bad in passprotection as the OL can make a QB look bad in the pocket.

Fun fact.

Alex Smith actually makes our o-line look better than any QB has. He's been sacked less often per attempt (by a large margin in most cases) than other QBs that started during the same season.

You know, there is a difference between run blocking and pass blocking. The only way a qb can make a line look bad is holding the ball too long, a great example is Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay. If there is another way that can happen, please fill me in.

but those teams dont have nolin and singeltary as their coaches either. you will be eating your own words soon enough. that much i can promise you
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Alex Smith makes this line (made up of high round draft choices) look bad.

Originally posted by Wodwo:

Fun fact.

Alex Smith actually makes our o-line look better than any QB has. He's been sacked less often per attempt (by a large margin in most cases) than other QBs that started during the same season.

I always considered our OL as a solid OL the past 2 years. It's tough blocking defenders who know where the play is going.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
I always considered our OL as a solid OL the past 2 years. It's tough blocking defenders who know where the play is going.

Well, if that's the case, we should find out this season. Hopefully better play calling makes a HUGE difference.

Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:
but those teams dont have nolin and singeltary as their coaches either. you will be eating your own words soon enough. that much i can promise you

How could anything possibly make me eat the words that in my opinion Alex Smith underperformed in the past despite the sub par oline play? I am not arguing anything other than that.
Yes. Agreed. The problems aren't ALL the O-Line. They also aren't ALL Alex Smith.

Nor did I say they were
Wrong. A line can be good in Run Blocking, but be bad Pass Blocking. Just look at Anthony Davis last year.

If a QB is getting crushed back there, its not because he's making the line look bad.

Thats not the point. The point is they arent the worst line in the league
Davis is not athletic enough to be an NFL OT. I hope that Boone is ready and they move Davis to RG and move Boone to RT. Rachal is too damn lazy to continue to be "given" a starting position. He needs to earn it. Just being a wide body doesn't make you a good player. He has some skills but "if ur not improving, ur getting worse!

that doesnt sound past tense to me. thats sounds like an argument for the present. you didnt say the line wasnt good. you said the line isnt good.

my apologies if i misunderstood you but thats not what you typed.
Share 49ersWebzone